SITE REVIEW: Jerble.com

• clicky
  • Student
  • Student
  • clicky
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's still under construction, but I hope to finish it soon. Rather than bunch up many links, etc, and make the site look cluttered, I opted for a more clean, flash look. The html clone of the flash will soon be up, as will the forms and phone numbers.

I also plan to have a few more pages for legal issues, site integrity, etc.

Everything is subject to change as per your suggestions; thanks in advance for the reviews!

:)

http://www.jerble.com
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• sana
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: I am back!!

Post 3+ Months Ago

nice site..i really like the color combination :) i think u shud add a preloader .. otherwise its good..
  • clicky
  • Student
  • Student
  • clicky

Post 3+ Months Ago

It has preloader, it probably loaded too quickly for you to see... thanks :)
  • sana
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: I am back!!

Post 3+ Months Ago

well sry then.. i think it loaded quickly then :) keep up the good work
  • lestermagic.com
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • lestermagic.com

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have a slow connection and I didnt see a preloader. Also I dont want to offend any one, and I dont know how familiar you are with flash, but the buttons are pretty simplistic. You may want that though.
  • clicky
  • Student
  • Student
  • clicky

Post 3+ Months Ago

The purpose of the site is to be simple and enjoyable. Tha is why the buttons are primitive, besides, no one is going to get a website just because the buttons jump through flaming hoops...thanks...:D
  • lestermagic.com
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • lestermagic.com

Post 3+ Months Ago

Man, I would buy eight websites if you could make the buttons jump through flaming hoops!!!!! Ha ha ha. How clever of me.
  • clicky
  • Student
  • Student
  • clicky

Post 3+ Months Ago

Any other ideas? Thanks again for reviewing guys! :)
  • CrazyP

Post 3+ Months Ago

I really like it, especially the fading effect you have going on the buttons and images. Only thing I would possibly add is to have the buttons darkened like it is on hover when your at the page for that button.

other than that, very nice
  • clicky
  • Student
  • Student
  • clicky

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ah yes, I was thinking about that. So the user would see what page he/she is on.
Im glad that you like it, thanks!
  • sammi
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • sammi

Post 3+ Months Ago

love the beautiful blue colours and the music is fantastic lov the ripple water thing... thats awesome man, personally the webhosting sounds a bit expensive but thats just my opinion...
  • Benat
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wow, cool site, I love it and it looks really fun. Love the ripple effect and the music ROCKS and goes so well with that ripple LOL.

The only thing I would suggest, is the blue text on the right hand side could be a tad easier to read. I mean its fine for me, but just thinking of some of the peeps that have vision impairments.
  • cverdun
  • cverdun
  • Loc: Larose, Louisiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

In your business, a professionally-done website is extremely important. Otherwise, you wouldn't get any business. Of course, the difficulty is that, on the one hand, you want to demonstrate that you are capable of using the latest technologies available, while on the other hand, you must let your customers know that you know when and where all that technology makes sense and where it doesn't. It seems like you know that already.

I keep reading that it is a bad idea to play sound on web pages because it can be annoying. Personally it has never bothered me but I was always afraid to use it for my own site. A good alternative is to allow it to be turned off, as you provided. Great idea.

One other thing: In the third paragraph, on the right, I think a non-breaking space could be used in the phrase, "Your-Web-Site.com" to keep it on one line.

One last comment: The logo for Jerble has some "jaggies" in it. Perhaps you were planning to replace it with a final "smooth" version?
  • clicky
  • Student
  • Student
  • clicky

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks all for the great constructive criticism! I took all of it into account and have updated the site.
The updates are:

Buttons in the "over" state for their respective pages
Bigger text where possible
Privacy policy page
About us page
Phone number taken out while pending
Form unworking link added (will work soon)
Portfolio links open in new window

@ cverdun: The logo's "jaggies" are a side effect of resizing, I'll take care of it soon

@ sammi...I'm offering website design not webhosting, otherwise, yes that'd be very very expensive :shock:

As for having a website professionally designed, I specifically avoiding making a giant popup-type thing like other designers...

Thank you again, and please keep criticising

On a side note, I plan to add scroll bars in the box on the right once more items get added to the portfolio, and maybe for pages with a lot of information

:) http://www.jerble.com/
  • dreams
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: New Delhi

Post 3+ Months Ago

Great Man

I really love the site, great annimation...

Love you man..
  • eSite
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • eSite

Post 3+ Months Ago

- Text oversized.
- Flash menu not enough reactive.
- Try adding different blues.
  • jlknauff
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I guess I'm in the twilight zone. I didn't really see anything that I liked about the site. I think your composition needs a lot of work-everything runs together. There's no contrast between colors. The big piece of "art" in the center of the page servers no purpose. The logo, which is very canned, is also very jagged. Horrible choice of font for the body & it's too small

Even though it's too late, I was always told that if you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything at all, so...

:shock:

I give up

While you're at it http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http% ... ble.com%2F
  • lioness
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm with jlknauff here. The site was pretty dull and uninspiring. Didn't like it at all - sorry. If you are really trying to impress would-be customers I'm afraid you are falling short with this. I won't go into specifics about what I didn't like because I think everything could be improved on your site.

Best of luck though.
  • clicky
  • Student
  • Student
  • clicky

Post 3+ Months Ago

To the previous comments: The purpose of the site is to be welcoming, fun, and relaxing for the user. Currently, most sites operate within a standard template with slight modifications for a site's individuality. While this template has worked so far, that does not mean that other designs should be rejected just because they do not conform to these standards. For this reason, Jerble's layout was made entirely for the benefit of the user. The color scheme, blues and white, subtly contrasts to make the site very easy on the eyes. The buttons are purposefully big and bold in order to make navigation as simple as possible with a logical hierarchy. The middle panel's subtle fluctuations, along with the image’s shape and nature, create a hypnotic-like effect which, combined with the music and the aforementioned qualities, creates a kind of euphoria for the user.
The jaggedness of the logo will be an easy fix over the weekend.
The only valid point I see here is the font. Although the sizes vary throughout the site at the moment, appropriate measures will soon be taken to find the best size and make it universal by possibly adding scroll bars. The actual font seems to fit the site pretty well, it is easy to read and stands out, however research of others fonts is still being conducted.
While these attributes of website design may at first repel the conservative designer, users tend to enjoy the change of pace and comfort.
Thanks for your comments.
  • jlknauff
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

clicky wrote:
The middle panel's subtle fluctuations, along with the image’s shape and nature, create a hypnotic-like effect which, combined with the music and the aforementioned qualities, creates a kind of euphoria for the user.

Um, ok :shock:

Your getting sleepy, very sleepy...you will love the design of my poorly composed site and disregard that lack of contrast or graphic design skills. When you wake up you will have no knowledge of good art when you see it and only appreciate bad design.

Note to self-If he offers me Kool-aid, don't take it!
  • monsieur_le_christophe
  • Student
  • Student
  • monsieur_le_christophe
  • Loc: Wales, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeh liking the colour scheme & ripple. Think overall it looks good. I do think you need to sort the resizing jaggies ASAP! :)

For me, the writing on most pages is a bit crummy though. It's all very big & a bit clumsy, and I don't think the font you're using looks that great as a paragraph font, maybe try another font for the longer blocks of text, or not having those bits in capitals. That said however, the writing in Services -> Privacy is much smaller, and is still very easy to read. Just looks more professional like that.

I think on Home, Services and Support, the text in the right text box is too close to the edges. Add some padding to make it look a bit neater I'd say.

I think you should use a bit of java to pop your form.htm up in a window the same size as form.htm's content, as it looks wrong to have something so small in a full window. Not sure about browser compatibility issues there tho as I only use/know about IE.

Sorry about the essay, think the site is very good and I like what's there a lot. With one or two tweaks it should be looking excellent! :D

Hope that helps,
Chris
  • clicky
  • Student
  • Student
  • clicky

Post 3+ Months Ago

"hynotic-like" ...in context meaning not quite hypnotic but still heading towards a virtual dream-like comfort.

And naturally, I object to "design of my poorly composed site and disregard that lack of contrast or graphic design skills."

:)
  • clicky
  • Student
  • Student
  • clicky

Post 3+ Months Ago

@monsieur_le_christophe

Thanks for the review, I'll look into and make the necessary changes this weekend. Then, hopefully you will be able to see the site again to your liking :)
  • lioness
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

clicky wrote:
I'll look into and make the necessary changes this weekend.

...translated...

"I'll try and find someone else's code which will make these changes for me. Hopefully I can cut and paste it by the weekend." :splat:

:idea: o·rig·i·nal·i·ty (noun)

1. newness: the quality of newness that exists in something not done before or not derived from anything else
Improvised music lives on the tension between tradition and originality.

2. creativity: the ability to think creatively and depart from traditional or previous forms

3. original thing: something original, for example, a new idea or approach
  • jlknauff
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol :lol:
  • CrazyP

Post 3+ Months Ago

lionking wrote:
clicky wrote:
I'll look into and make the necessary changes this weekend.

...translated...

"I'll try and find someone else's code which will make these changes for me. Hopefully I can cut and paste it by the weekend." :splat:

:idea: o·rig·i·nal·i·ty (noun)

1. newness: the quality of newness that exists in something not done before or not derived from anything else
Improvised music lives on the tension between tradition and originality.

2. creativity: the ability to think creatively and depart from traditional or previous forms

3. original thing: something original, for example, a new idea or approach

wow, your very good at being condescending. your not even trying to help him your just being an A**. god forbid someone has different tastes, opinions or skills than you .
  • monsieur_le_christophe
  • Student
  • Student
  • monsieur_le_christophe
  • Loc: Wales, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

:idea: con·struc·tive (adj)

1. Serving to improve or advance; helpful: constructive criticism.

2. Of or relating to construction; structural.
  • clicky
  • Student
  • Student
  • clicky

Post 3+ Months Ago

:rofl:
The problem with mediocre people is that one must stoop to their level to understand the meaningless jibes that they apparently believe are "constructive criticism."

How about I give you a tour of what that means:
:idea:
"con·struc·tive (adj.) - Serving to improve or advance; helpful: constructive criticism."

By the way, my astute lion-king fanatic, that definition was taken from The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language. Just wanted to let you know before your bubble bursts again; be sure to cite your definitions before you post them, because doing otherwise is called PLAGIARISM! :wink:

It's so amusing how confused some people are. Have you ever heard of Macromedia Flash? Hm, the last I heard Flash didn't have any code...only actionscript (look that one up on macromedia.com), which has no relevance to the post by monsieur_le_christophe, whom I was thanking for writing a lengthy review.

Code: [ Select ]
...translated...

Seems you don't know what the 1st definition of "translate" means either...looks like you translated English into English! In this case, however, it looks more like you converted a statement of thanks by me into an unfounded conclusion.

CrazyP knows what I'm talking about :)

There should be a sticky on this, showing the difference between constructive criticism and :underwater:

For others, thanks for all the constructive criticism and keep it coming if you have anything to say; I'm sorry if you read the post by lionking above - just remember that not all people are rational.
  • Foxy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: places..

Post 3+ Months Ago

Im not a big fan for the theme, the text is "Rough"
(banner of Jerble)

400.. is questionable, but, Who knows..
  • chinesefooddiy
  • Born
  • Born
  • chinesefooddiy

Post 3+ Months Ago

It IS a very clean and neat site. But the first feeling I got when I visited your site is that my eyes were tired - the colors of the background and texts are too close and people may leave your site if they feel tired browse your site.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 48 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers