SITE REVIEW: Jinxed.org

• lisaAa
  • lisaAa

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi, can you guys tell me what you think about my website please?

I've been working quite a lot on it so your feedback is very appreciated, especially since I've only made one other website. By the way, if you had a hard day at work and wanna be rough to someone, just do it : I would really appreciate that you do not try to be kind or anything. I want my website to be as flawless as can be.

Do you quickly understand the point of the website and would you use it / bookmark it because it's fun?

Is the website long to load/use?

Do you have any suggestion?

Thank you a lot for your time!

http://www.jinxed.org

PS : RSS and Newsletter are not ready yet, so don't worry about it.
  • eautocad
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Spring Hill, Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

That's a good idea, I like it.
  • oskillzzo
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • oskillzzo

Post 3+ Months Ago

very nice, and it didnt take long at all to load on my computer. i could see this attracting bored people
  • getxposed
  • Born
  • Born
  • getxposed

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nice and clean, easy to read and navigate. Loads quickly.

MT
lisaAa wrote:
Hi, can you guys tell me what you think about my website please?

I've been working quite a lot on it so your feedback is very appreciated, especially since I've only made one other website. By the way, if you had a hard day at work and wanna be rough to someone, just do it : I would really appreciate that you do not try to be kind or anything. I want my website to be as flawless as can be.

Do you quickly understand the point of the website and would you use it / bookmark it because it's fun?

Is the website long to load/use?

Do you have any suggestion?

Thank you a lot for your time!

http://www.jinxedornot.com

PS : RSS and Newsletter are not ready yet, so don't worry about it.
  • lisaAa
  • lisaAa

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks a lot for your feedback.

Ozzu is the place I got the most help from so far, it's really cool!

Two of the things I really can't decide myself about are :

Should I give a better access to the "About" section? So far you need to hit "more options" to see it. Problem is that I don't see what button to take out of the panel, and adding "About" is gonna make really it cluttered IMO for new visitors. What do you think? I think my "about" section is really well done and would be a good addition so the site so... I don't know :p

Other thing is : should I add stuff on the sides? I have many custom made drawings (from the same guy that made the header) with people that are unlucky and don't know if I should use them or if it is going to too cluttered again?
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Belgrade, Serbia

Post 3+ Months Ago

this is seriously good work for a second site. we're getting lots of really sharp newbies lately :D I'm impressed.

I wouldn't add anything to the sides - the design is really nice and clean, I think additional art might clutter it up. If you have lots of cute images you might consider including little ones like thumbnails to illustrate specific posts. Maybe you could give people a list of little illustrations that they could choose to add to their post.

As far as the 'about' section is concerned, I personally think it could squeeze up into the homepage nav bar. the spaces between the nav items are fairly wide - with a tiny adjustment I think 'about us' would fit. It's not a long phrase :D At any rate try it and see...

great work, definitely. keep at it.
  • lisaAa
  • lisaAa

Post 3+ Months Ago

Celandine, thanks a lot about your comment. It's really the kinda stuff that makes me feel good about myself and my work! I mean it!

I made a few changes on the website, feedback would be awesome!

- Added a description right on top of the front page.
- Made the website loggin-free for all the basic features. Took the registering and login panel off of the banner, it is now in the panel once you've hit "more". Also, I made the banner clickable in its entirety instead of only the left part of it.
- Once you're signed in, the "sign" and "register" buttons disappear in the pannel and are replaced with "sign out" and "personnal space"
- The registration comes in a pop-up like thing instead of in the banner. The weird pop-up only automatically appears when logging in is needed to use the feature.
- About is now accessible without expanding the panel.
- Changed "more options" to "more", added a little "expand icon" that's the shape of a triangle so that people understand clicking won't reload the page. Changed "more" into "less" once expanded. Made sure the panel would not collapse back if you change page. You need to hit "less" for it to collapse.
- Changed all the buttons on the site. They now are actual buttons instead of mere words using a big font.
- Added a "cancel" button next to "submit" in the "add a story" form.
- I Added a character count in the "add a story" form, also you cannot add a Jinx that's less than 20 character long.
- Changed the look or error messages : the messages are now circled with red and are written in a light red rectangle.
- I decreased the size of both <h1s> and <h2s> and decreased the spacing below them.
- Made the whole font a little grayer, it used to be black.
- hitting "ok" in the "comments & suggestion" form skips a line instead of sending the form.
- The "registration confirmation" now has jinxes displayed instead of nothing but a welcome message.
- Created a "personnal space" with the members-only features in it.
- Changed the pagination style at the bottom of the site that was incongruent. It now is bigger, bolder (faster stronger ) and I included "next", "previous", "first""last" and buttons.
- I deleted the "add/view comments" inside of every rectangle. Now when you hover over the text, it says "click to add / view comments" instead and gives the number of comments.

Still more work to be done on the " added on # by #" which I already decided I'd change so don't bother commenting on this, it is soon to be changed.

Please do comment!
  • lisaAa
  • lisaAa

Post 3+ Months Ago

WARNING! URL CHANGED!!

Hi, made plenty of changes.

Can you please:

Try and imagine it doesn't say "today" at the biginning of every phrase. Do you like it better?

What do you see on the banner, without paying a lot of attention?

Do quickly understand the point of the site?

Thanks a lot.

NEW URL:

• zaiah
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • zaiah

Post 3+ Months Ago

This is awesome! I love it and added it to my favorites!
  • emedia
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: India

Post 3+ Months Ago

This is a new idea i never see like this before. And i think design have to be improved for this great site. Good job man!
  • loftgolf
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

I really like the site. The header looks great and I like the logo. I really like how the word "Jinxed" is used in the posts. Very catchy! One question, though. Why did you use .org? Was .com and .net taken? Are you having any search engine problems with the .org? Best of luck with your site! I think you're really onto something.
  • lisaAa
  • lisaAa

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks a lot Zaiah loftgolf and emedia!

Loftgolf, whatever the name we choose, it won't be hard to be first on google for the word "jinxed" or "jinx" so I think it will be ok.

emedia if you have any design ideas, please let me know.
  • lisaAa
  • lisaAa

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey all.

I changed the way my instructions look, I treied to make them stand out more.

Does it work? is it ugly?

Any other idea? thanks a lot.
  • lisaAa
  • lisaAa

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi, I changed the design: new background changed the brown to orange and added a link to comics of the short stories on my site on both sides.

Do you think it looks better now?

Do you like the overall concept?

Thanks for your comments!

• agire_sores
  • Born
  • Born
  • agire_sores

Post 3+ Months Ago

very good ;)
  • UVBoy
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: London, Ontario, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Couldn't stop reading the Jinxes. Very interesting and novel concept. The website loaded very nicely and I like the layout and navigation. I really don't have anything to add. Sorry.
  • fukera
  • Born
  • Born
  • fukera

Post 3+ Months Ago

well i will say its taking a lot of time on slow connection.
  • goldcard7000
  • Born
  • Born

Post 3+ Months Ago

I really like the site. Good concept. Good color scheme, logos and graphics. The only think I was not big on was the graphic for the drawings being cut off, made me feel like scrolling to the left.
  • ifighter
  • Born
  • Born
  • ifighter

Post 3+ Months Ago

Loved the site...It def kept me reading. Good luck to you!
  • martinsejas123
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

great site, love it ... regarding the sides, you could possibly add small ads, i don't know how much traffic you're getting, but this could become useful for generating some revenue

i like the fact that it loads up fairly quickly
  • jake5585
  • jake5585

Post 3+ Months Ago

wow this is really good, the banner is cartoony yet looks proffesional and the layout is all round very good
  • mazarebacha
  • Born
  • Born
  • mazarebacha

Post 3+ Months Ago

Great site,..good luck!
  • cybox
  • Born
  • Born
  • cybox

Post 3+ Months Ago

Its great!..Nice Idea and content..
  • paul8368
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • paul8368
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like the colours you have used, the banner at the top is amusing, as are the illustrations and the background.

I see you can put links in the posts and images too as one user has already, watch out this could be spammed with no registration required.

Excellent idea and URL.

I love the site mind can we start posting in it now or is it still under development?

I'll link to it from one of mine when you are ready

Paul
  • lisaAa
  • lisaAa

Post 3+ Months Ago

We are now providing a widget to our users. It displays one of the fun stories from our websites on their blog or website. It is customizable in color and auto adapts in size and can be found here:

http://jinxed.org/rss-api-widgets-and-cool-free-stuff/

I'd like to know if the tutorial is easy to understand and if all webmasters will manage to install the widget.

My two questions are:

- Do you think it's cool / useful ?
- Is it easy to use ?

Thanks a lot, and of course you can keep the widget if you like it, it's free.

Thanks guys, feels very good to hear!
  • Internetbox
  • Born
  • Born
  • Internetbox

Post 3+ Months Ago

Good, site, but you need to fix the design, on IE.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 26 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers