SITE REVIEW: JokeBattles

• Confemo
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Confemo

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello all...

I just launched this new site... http://www.jokebattles.com .

Please tell me what I can do to optimize the site for usuability and functionality. Can you understand the concept of the site quickly? How does it look overall?

-Thanks
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• multiosbrowser
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Germany

Post 3+ Months Ago

Confemo wrote:
Please tell me what I can do to optimize the site for usuability and functionality.

I have tested a few things and think, that following points are relevant to optimize your site:
Code: [ Select ]
{font-family: Tahoma; font-size: 11px;}

To get MS IE User the possibility to resize the text and make your site fit for other os platforms like Linux or Mac OS, you should it change to:
Code: [ Select ]
{font-family: Tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif; font-size: 0.9em;}

To make your site better accessible, you should insert Skip-Links like "to content" or "back to top" and define a language with "<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" lang="en>". Add the <...summary=""...>-attribute to your tables.

The next point is that you should make a CSS for "media=screen" and "media=print".

To optimized your site, use relative sizing and positioning, rather than absolute.

And lastly, I doesn't find a mailing address on your site. Insert your name, street, city and email into your contact.
  • amir1981
  • Born
  • Born
  • amir1981

Post 3+ Months Ago

you can add search ability to your site...
so user can find the jokes with key words
  • devdive
  • devdive

Post 3+ Months Ago

Overall, your site is good. But I don't like how you use bold typeface for ALL text on your page. Makes it a bit weary to read.

Like amir said, you could add search functionality. Also, you MUST have next and previous links to make users stay longer on your site.

One more thing: Under newest jokes, I don't know what those numbers mean until I go to the joke page to learn that it is the number of wins/losses.

Hope this helps.
  • markdogg18769
  • Born
  • Born
  • markdogg18769

Post 3+ Months Ago

personally i liked the site...
  • Confemo
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Confemo

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the advice everyone...

It seems like most people are ignoring the best part about the site... Most people are never even going to the battle page. Thats the whole point of the site. You have to click on the category to go to the battle page, most people are just viewing the individual joke page. I've increased the size of the category links in hope of making it stand out more. Any other suggestions on getting people to view the actual battle page instead of the individual joke page? I have instructions directly above it but apparently no one reads it.

There is no need for a next/previous button. Once you vote on a joke you are shown 2 more random jokes. And this process repeats every time.

I was thinking about developing a search function... I definately will now. Thanks

Also, I've added a contest to kick start the site. The person with the most points on Oct 1 wins $20.
  • nickthrolson
  • nickthrolson
  • Loc: California

Post 3+ Months Ago

nice site needs more content other wise great job
  • rundex231
  • rundex231

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nice idea but design needs to be improved. Remove bold fonts as much as possible. It is hard to read.
  • Bozebo
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: 404

Post 3+ Months Ago

major problem:
it keeps saying i get the security code wrong, i tried about 20 times
  • petguide
  • petguide

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think your site design needs more colour. It is a joke site so stick to bright and happy colours. you also need more content.

Other than that I like your site and hope it grows over time.
  • hanuman
  • hanuman

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nice idea, and few images so that should make it pretty bot friendly. I must confess it was only after I read your second post that I figured out that the joke categories were actually links - being large and bold, I thought they were just headings to advertise the fact that those were the sort of jokes you catered for. I think you need to make it clearer that they are links - not necessarily by making them bigger. Maybe have arrows pointing at them or have them underlined.

Otherwise, nice idea, but need more content. Maybe you could put up some literature about relevent topics e.g. the origin of different types of jokes etc etc.

Hope this helps.
  • admaster
  • Born
  • Born
  • admaster

Post 3+ Months Ago

Looks good, could do with more animation, java and colour as well as a forum.

Great idea though and i can see it growing to be very big!

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 12 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers