SITE REVIEW: JokesRealm.com

• hexengon
  • hexengon

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi, please review my site JokesRealm.com
http://www.jokesrealm.com

It is a jokes, humor, funny pictures, brain teasers, riddles, illusions, and more!
Tell me how the layout is, design, navigation, ease of use, colors, etc....

I know the logo sucks, i am planning on getting that done soon.

thanks for your input :)
  • shorys
  • shorys

Post 3+ Months Ago

Unfortunately there's nothing funny about this site.
You pretty much need to change a lot of things.
I would suggest spend some time reading a book (Don't make me think - Steve Krug) and surf some websites like :

http://www.smashingmagazine.com
http://www.webdesignfromscratch.com

There are some other great sites but first start with these and I bet that in 3 hours surfing on these sites you're gonna come up with an actual design ;)

good luck
  • SimplyBusy
  • SimplyBusy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nothing caught me as funny when I signed in. The design will have to exude laughter or excitement when initially loading your page. I felt like I visited a plumbing parts website.
  • phppoddotcom
  • phppoddotcom

Post 3+ Months Ago

Try to use more colors like red, green or even yellow. Make the site colorful and outstanding.
  • zaiah
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • zaiah

Post 3+ Months Ago

Okay. The design pretty much sucks. But the content...OMG I can't remember the last time I laughed so hard. But I will say, it loads fast, the code almost validates ( 1 error ) I think you just need to beef up the design a little. It's too plain. But not at the sake of loading slower or loosing anything that you have already established. Let me just say that I think one of the worst designs ever is http://www.craigslist.com , but the site is awesome. I think this site can hold it's weight without a flashy design. But it couldn't hurt...right? Add a little color and maybe some imagery. But try really hard not to take away from the content. Because that is the main focus. As I was laughing I could have cared less about the color scheme or anything else. So I'm talking in circles now. Good luck!
  • Chuck2
  • Loc: Pennsylvania

Post 3+ Months Ago

I do like how the header ties into the sidebar. It's a nice design and easy to follow. But, (sorry) I expected to be hit with something funny right off the bat. Had to dig around to much.
  • hexengon
  • hexengon

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks for all the input and suggestions,
after looking at my layout for awhile, i do agree, it is too dark and gloomy,
so i changed my color scheme a bit, more yellows and sky blues,
and changed the navigation menu a bit..hopefully now it looks a bit better,
'cept for the logo still need to work on that
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

like zaiah said, there is 1 validation error, but that you can sort out in no time at all ... the error basically states that there is no "target='_blank'" in XHTML 1.0 strict, so either switch to XHTML 1.0 Transitional or find a workaround for that.

The design is clean, but I must say that it looks a bit 90's imo ...

One thing that bothers me a bit is that on the "home" page, the left hand side menu is longer than the content. it's not a big thing but it is a bit disturbing.

Also on the rollovers inside the left hand side menu the color and background-color are too close to each other, which makes it impossible to read the link that I am hovering on.

maybe it's just me, but on the "home" page there is that "random image", but on wider screens it really gets a bit too random just floating there all the way to the right. Maybe make so that the page is always a certain width and in the center of the browser window?

Also then, maybe make the link of the page that a user is on unclickable, for instance if I am on the "animals" page, make the "animals" link unclickable and in another colour (or rollover state), so that a user know which page he/she is on, and doesn't redirect to that page again while he/she is on it ...

last thing, and this is about saving a little bit of bandwidth, if you remove the spaces and line-breaks from the code you'll save a few kbs, now let's say for this example that you save 5kbs on the "home" page, and let's say that you get 200 visits a day to your site. so that makes a total of 1000kb a day saved in bandwidth, which may not seem like a lot, but then you can use the bandwidth available to you more efficiently.
  • mikest
  • Born
  • Born
  • mikest

Post 3+ Months Ago

good jokes and humor. if you need some descriptive images it will make the site fresh and more energatic.
  • webeloper
  • webeloper

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am a web 2.0 addict. IMO you should use web 2.0 template
  • betman2win
  • betman2win

Post 3+ Months Ago

Jokes realm is a site which as been done over and over again, with all the same content as over like wise websites. The layouts average, the content does not make me laugh. Which is what jokes are for.

On the plus side, it will be easy to gain backlinks and sell advertising space.

Hope this helps
  • bisht
  • Born
  • Born
  • bisht

Post 3+ Months Ago

good jokes ..........
but the presentation is not so good , also you haven't included any funny images, that will help.
  • DaFiz
  • DaFiz

Post 3+ Months Ago

I dont really like the yellow and blue scheme, it looks retro or something.

Also you have ratings for all the jokes but there not really used for anything. It really needs a sort by rating option, and maybe a top 10 by ratings list.

Cheers,
DaFiz
  • themarr76
  • themarr76

Post 3+ Months Ago

The sites easy to use and there is some funny stuff in there, but I soon got fed up rooting through all the not so funny stuff...
AM

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 14 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers