SITE REVIEW: Jro's World

• jrosworld
  • jrosworld

Post 3+ Months Ago

This is my website that I built to keep a blog & add photos etc for when I start travelling. If anyone has any opinions of advice it'd be greatly appreciated. I taught myself HTML & this is the first site that I made, so I know the HTML used may be somewhat uncustomary. Any advice on appearance, writing style, or anything at all would be greatly appreciated. However negative it happens to be.

http://www.jrosworld.com

If you could sign the guestbook as well, that would be great. Just so I have some entries on there.

Thanks to anyone who can help.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• cipher
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

The flashing logo is very distracting. It is a little hard to read the text on your left menu. Good layout; however, I'd suggest sticking to fewer colors.
  • rmauldin0106
  • Born
  • Born
  • rmauldin0106

Post 3+ Months Ago

I agree with the last comment, the flashing logo is to distracting.
  • edowney
  • Born
  • Born
  • edowney
  • Loc: Elkton, MD

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi Jro,

Congrats on teaching yourself HTML, etc. It can be a pain in the but unless you have an infinite amount of time to read and do research.

I did a quick validation and the site only produced two errors on the home page (I didn't check any other pages). You can see the error at http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http% ... ne&group=0.

I'm not a big graphics guy although I do some photoshop now and then when I need a swanky glossy button but over all I prefer to drop most if not all graphics that are not essential. you'd be surpised how clean a site with nothing but css and div tags can look. A logo is fine if it's done well. Other than that, I personally drop everything else.

Try and stay away from seriously contrasting colors. Black, a lot of black, is usually a no-no in my book. Traveling like you do you should pick landscapes of some sort for your logo. Maybe based on where you currently are travelling? Try earth-toning the site. Also be careful about color combinations like black backgrounds with blue links.

While your site has things that may not seem like a candidate for a true blogging website I would still consider using WordPress. It's fairly easy to use and has a lot of 'plugins' to help extend its functionality.

I looked at your source and I see you have unique titles for each page I would still recommend you put some additional meta tags in their. Even though the search engines don't rely on them as much they do use the description for displaying in the SERP. If it's not there the search engine will pick some clump of text to display which may turn off a potential visitor - or conversly not turn them on enough to come visit your site.
  • silveraden
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

The welcome header is what I don't like.. it makes the whole site messy..
  • vahho
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • vahho

Post 3+ Months Ago

Not looking at the other comments, i'd say that this site contains too many different colors, and on the navigation bar i would make all the rollover buttons the same colors, instad of travel blog being red the only one.
  • jrosworld
  • jrosworld

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's been a fair old while since I started this thread. And since then the look of my site has changed a lot. So I was just hoping to gage some feedback for the look of the website now.

I'm not really asking for advice regarding the HTML used. This is the first site I ever wrote, so I know that the HTML is... well, crap. I'm more concerned with the appearance of the website, particularly the homepage. Any suggestions would be appreciated. And if you like what you see, I've just today added buttons such as "Digg" & "Del.ici.ous" to the homepage, so any help on that front would go down great as well.

Thanks to anyone who can help!
  • natas
  • PHP Ninja
  • Proficient
  • natas
  • Loc: AFK

Post 3+ Months Ago

hello jrosword!

Like you I taught myself HTML and CSS (well, I'm actually still learning every day). So first of all congratulations on that!

The next thing I found out that is very important, and mentioned earlier in this thread, is to pick a color scheme. I personally like to stick with no more than three main colors. This will drastically improve the look of your site.

I tend to stray away from flashy gifs and headers. Less is more.

The "site updates" section on the main page is unnecessary also. I do have more criticisms, but first things first. Get a grip on those colors!

But, compared to my first website, this is great work ha ha... Keep at it!
  • kassimwithu
  • kassimwithu

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello there

Its not looking that good,

please change your layout, Images looking little ugly,

please dont compress too much.

Cheers
Kassim
  • jrosworld
  • jrosworld

Post 3+ Months Ago

All good points thanks. I'm a little short on time right now, but planning a significant overhaul of the whole site before long, so I'll be taking everything into consideration.

This is a website that I wrote all of the code myself. If I was to instead use a web design program such as Dreamweaver, does anyone have any suggestions to the best out there?
  • natas
  • PHP Ninja
  • Proficient
  • natas
  • Loc: AFK

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you want to use a CMS, I'd suggest Joomla. But if you're looking for a WYSIWYG editor (like Dreamweaver), I'd stay away. I just don't like them. You're better off using notepad and your imagination.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 11 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers