SITE REVIEW: Lamia Designs

• roje0913
  • Student
  • Student
  • roje0913

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think your site should better reflect your work, your sig logo looks like you have talent, but the coordination of bg colors and fonts is really hard on my eyes. Now im not the greatest by any means, but it seems like the modules are just too plain to represent your talent. Like i was saying, i think that if your site used the colors like your logo, it would look much better. that blueish white looks like it would work well.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• noway
  • Loc: uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

i find the colors 'clash' for me.
i like ur logo though. for what ur trying to achieve i would put an image example on the home page.
  • Benat
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have to agree about the fonts, having 2 different sized fonts on one website, clashes, and then to add different colours on top of that is just to much.

I like the design, but to be honest, I think the news section you have in the top half of the page, should be moved down to the "Menu" section you have, it really takes alot of focus off the header, which I happen to really like, BUT that white font just sticks right out at me, and the header gets a slight second glance.

With the menu links, I really feel the site would benefit from some graphic buttons, with a roll over. I mean you are trying to sell your web designs, and the only graphical design you have on that page really, IS the header.

Now I am by no means any kind of programmer, but I am a graphic designer in my own right, and your site needs abit of work, before you can proclaim yourself as a professional web designer. But thus far, it is "good".
  • mafiaboy3
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • mafiaboy3
  • Loc: Canda

Post 3+ Months Ago

i wish i had that design for my website!( its a gaming website)But for you, i dun't really think it suit's you, what webhost u using anywayz?
  • Lamia_Poi
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Portsmouth, Hampshire, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Benat wrote:
I like the design, but to be honest, I think the news section you have in the top half of the page, should be moved down to the "Menu" section you have, it really takes alot of focus off the header, which I happen to really like, BUT that white font just sticks right out at me, and the header gets a slight second glance.

yeah i'm working on different color schemes, maybe red, green anything really... but as for the section under the header, i was going to change that color to a slightly greyish color, as black wouldn't work because like the white it would be to "outstanding".

Benat wrote:
With the menu links, I really feel the site would benefit from some graphic buttons, with a roll over. I mean you are trying to sell your web designs, and the only graphical design you have on that page really, IS the header.

yeah as i stated on the site and on the re-post, i'm working on a proper navigational system with buttons and rollover effects...

as for the different sized fonts, i completely agree, but if i make them all 1, it's too small, or 2 it's too large, i'm trying to find a happy medium with the CSS version of it, but as i'm not really "expert" i have run into a few minor problems, so have those to overcome before anything else changes.

as for the colors, thanks i'll go with a lighter color or maybe a different coor completely...
  • Lamia_Poi
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

mafiaboy3 understandable with what your saying... but i like the design itself, it's a different to what the "corporate" sites look like, which is why i like it so much...

as for my webhost. i use [link]http://www.streamline.net[/link] they are a UK based webhosting company. and offer reasonable rates etc... just make sure you get something above the the first one because that ones *plum*. (excuse the bad language please :) )
  • sazn
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Good to see your taking your time in the development process although i think you've still got a bit of a way to go yet.

For starters, Design. The site looks like an amature gaiming clan type site. It feels far too dark and not enough variation in colours. Think about the clients your aiming at, is this the kind of thing they'd be into?

Drop the links to the external sites on the left. What on earth are they doing there? you have a link to some seedy 18+ adult webcam site with fat women and wierd goth bdsm fetish creeps. Is this the kind of image you want to put across to possible clients?! might aswell get rid of the google link as well, isn't much need for it.

Code wise, did you even code your site or just use some design view tool? if you want to build websites for people for money you need to know code. Your using tables which are not even designed to be used for layouts. Your sites code is not valid, it has 15 errors on the main page and you haven't even specified the DOCTYPE.

Get rid of the "web form" page. Theres no need for it, just stick the form on the contact page. Another thing, someone goes to the contact page, there faced with "contact us" then below it 5 email addresses. Which one are they meant to use?
  • Lamia_Poi
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

"wierd goth bdsm fetish creeps"

I resent that but linking it isn't the best thing probably so point taken though you could have worded it differently.

i don't usually specify the doctype, as for the errors, they are the depricated codes.

the web form page stays because i'm creating a flash form for it so you can make selections etc...

whichever email they wish to use, and there is several emails if you want to be specific.

Yes i coded my site, i hate WYSIWYG programs i never use them if i can help it. very rarely will i use it and it's usually only viewing something if my net isn't working or to use it for PHP as i am still learning the coding and how MySQL works and how to implement all of it.

but i will make any corrections to the code if they are likely to interfere with the rest of it.
  • hanuman
  • hanuman

Post 3+ Months Ago

A couple of typos. On http://www.lamia-designs.co.uk/about/

...site is being sold alongside it in which [CASE] you need to give us the contact details....

... decided to get a friend of mine, who is also extremely interested in web design, involved and spends a lot of time at home as i do.....

the sentence is dijointed after the word 'involved'.

On the same page, two images failed to load.

Anyway, the font is clear enough and the layout as a whole uncluttered. Don't forget that EVERYTHING on your website says something about you. Even the stuff you might find relatively insignificant may be saying to others "I don't really care about this", which is a right turn-off to many. You gotta be meticulous to anorak-level, and then still be lucky after that. Good luck.
  • Lamia_Poi
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

thnanks, i'll sort the typos out and the dijointed sentence. i did the typing around 4am though so ahwell shoulda left it till i'd checked it over, thanks for spotting that :)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 40 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers