SITE REVIEW: Lanna Thai Crafts

• hanuman
  • hanuman

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi everyone

Please check the site out. It's a modified osCommerce layout, with a video for each product. Although of course I would welcome comments about any aspect of the site, I'm particularly interested in whether or not you think that the product videos bring any extra value to the shopping experience.
Just click on a category, then choose an item - the video should load at that point.

Find it at:

http://www.lannathaicrafts.com

Many thanks for your time and good luck with your own sites!

Nick
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• admaster
  • Born
  • Born
  • admaster

Post 3+ Months Ago

Looks very good although you could do with a forum and the RSS button is a bit big.
  • hanuman
  • hanuman

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for looking

I'll take another look at the RSS button. There is actually a forum already, if you follow the 'Online Magazine' link on the left side. Perhaps this isn't emphasised enough.

I wonder if anyone could comment on the product video, though.

Kind regards

Nick
  • onlyican.com
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Hants, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

I dont know what it is, but the flashing NEW dont look right
Now dont take this the wrong way, read all first
I think it could be the page looks old fashioned, and the new, dont fit

NOW
What I mean by old fashioned, is NOT looks old or anything
The fact that it fits with what your selling, If you had a "Modern" look
Then the products dont go right
So I mean Old Fasioned in a good sence
I like the design

I am gonna stop before I dig myself a hole to deep to get out off

But yea,
The page layout looks ok
Looks a bit squashed on 800x600,
Remember your market would probs be the "Middle to Older Generation"
You know, above 30 years old, Some probs not comfy on a machine, so they still use the standard default screen size, (The older ones, its easier on there eyes)
  • hanuman
  • hanuman

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks for the tip on the resolution issue - i'm looking into it now.
  • intiendes
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • intiendes

Post 3+ Months Ago

since that kind of problem arises ... you could use the services of browsercam.com to check your site on different browser and OS ... I checked your in the said 800x600 and here is the screenshot and it looks ok to me
  • Quang
  • Quang

Post 3+ Months Ago

hanuman wrote:
Hi everyone

Please check the site out. It's a modified osCommerce layout, with a video for each product. Although of course I would welcome comments about any aspect of the site, I'm particularly interested in whether or not you think that the product videos bring any extra value to the shopping experience.
Just click on a category, then choose an item - the video should load at that point.

Find it at:

http://www.lannathaicrafts.com

Many thanks for your time and good luck with your own sites!

Nick

I like the color way that you design for this site. Maybe my internet connection is not fast enough so that it is realy take time for video loading.
  • hanuman
  • hanuman

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi guys - thanks a lot for taking the time to see the site.

- intiendes - thanks for the browsercam stuff - i'd never heard of that before, so will be using it in future.

- Quang - could you let me know what kind of connection you are on? Loading speeds are a prime concern for me, but I'm hoping that you were able to see the rest of the page whilst the video was loading....

Thanks again

Nick
  • majestech
  • Born
  • Born
  • majestech

Post 3+ Months Ago

I agree the flashing new sign is a bit distracting and seem out of place.

The background color seem off .. like they do not match with the menu content boxes on the side and the photo gallery at the bottom.

Granted I am viewing this site on my laptop, but it would seem the "Store Information" would be better suited in a link as opposed to it be located at the base of the page to make me continue to scroll down.

Other than that... I do like the layout ... I am really caught up by the contect/menu boxes ...
  • Chaunte
  • Chaunte
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Its not a horrible site.
For me, t's alittle too busy looking & I don't like the flashing NEW.
Its very distracting.

Just my opinion. :)
  • hanuman
  • hanuman

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the replies guys

Graphical design has never been my strong point, but I just figured I needed to keep levels of contrast as low as possible. The flashing NEW signs seem to be working too well, though! Catching your attention is exactly what they're supposed to do, in order to highlight the main selling points of the site - video, online quotes etc - but if it actually detracts from people's 'enjoyment' of the site, I may have to think again and perhaps just make the NEW signs static.

Thanks again for your comments and please do keep them coming - I will reply to them all!
  • Silark
  • Silark

Post 3+ Months Ago

I agree with a lot of what has been said the flshing New really jars the feel of the site. Also i really think the background doens't add anything to your site and is quite distracting. I really like the layout of the site and i like the elastic design. Here is my advice for what it is worth, use a plaing white background i think this will really make all of the elements of you website stand out. Instead of using the flashing new maybe just use normal text and give it a heading NEW and use the same backronud image as you used for all your other sections. Just ideas really make of them ehat you will.

Thanks Chris
  • Chaunte
  • Chaunte
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

White background would be good.
  • ablaye
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • ablaye

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nice colors.
You may want to change your header. Get a nicer logo. The text "exotic ornaments from northern thailand" is barely visible and is distorted.
Also you have a lot of text on the center of the page. Try to cut on the text. Be straight to the point. When you reduce the text, the products that are below the text will move up and will be more noticeable.
Someone said that when a person visits a website, you have 3 seconds to catch their website. You want their attention to focus on the products you are offering and not some long text that you placed at the center of the website.

You can add more info at the bottom of the site if one cares to know more about the site.
  • nzk
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

The colors are hard to read, and the "NEW" button looks straight out of 1995.

Also you should try getting a nicer design and a nicer logo.

The box fillers and the 360 degree vr is actually a great idea.

Besides that I think you are fine.
  • hanuman
  • hanuman

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi folks

Sorry for the delay - got sidetracked sorting out backend stuff. I've finally bowed to pressure regarding some of the layout issues. Gone are the 'new' signs that so many people didn't like. Also, the background gifs are gone. I've been doing some page optimisation to get it to load more quickly, so it looks more simplistic than before, but that may be a good thing - or not. What do you think?

Will be intigued to hear your views.

http://www.lannathaicrafts.com - please check it out.

Many thanks.

Nick

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 16 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers