SITE REVIEW: Libra - designs

• dizzy_boy
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • dizzy_boy

Post 3+ Months Ago

What do you think of my new web design site! Every input welcome. Please disregard the spelling errors - still on my to do list.
Thanks!
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• dizzy_boy
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • dizzy_boy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sorry, :oops: :oops:
URL:

http://free-ka.htnet.hr/kruno/
  • fional24
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • fional24
  • Loc: Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

I like this site a lot, nice and clean. Straight away the logo convinced me that this is a professional site and these guys know what they are doing! Upon entering, my initial reaction was that the sections are nicely split up and I know where I'm going to click. I like the section about standards, it's reassuring that your designer is keeping up with technology and you're going to pay for a professional, modern site.
It's also nice to give people a bit of knowledge first so they understand why pages are put together the way they are.

I was slightly put off by the broken lines round some of the text, I felt on some pages (mostly the services page) that it made the text a bit hard to read (I have been teaching all day though so my eyes are a bit fried anyway!!) Maybe a few solid boxes round important paragraphs might work a bit better?

I think the little navigation buttons at the top are a nice touch, but I was a bit confused by the globe one, so I clicked on it to find out what it was. I thought it might have been search or something, but the map I found when I got there was very clear and easy to use.

The only thing that disapointed me about the site was that the pages tend to look the same. You have a great looking photo gallery and I would love to see more images througout the site to show off your talents!

Hope this helps! :)
  • 613flavah
  • battlestar
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Hurricane...

Post 3+ Months Ago

hi dizzy_boy

I really like your site it's very eye-pleasing. Some comments to help you improve your site:

Your dropdown mouseover script is jumpy. When I mouseoff one of the links and mouseon another link it jumps. Plus the submenu doesn't disappear once I mouse out of the region. I notice this happening only after i've moused on one of various of the sub menus then move out of that menu and try another one. This only seems to happen in FF.

Works well in all tested browsers, minus the small dropdown menu issue in FF

Your sitemap could be improved, too much space right now between items

You need to make your sitemap & home links more visible. Right now they only display on the bottom of the site

Don't forget your keywords & site description!

You've got alot of non breaking spaces set up in your code. I'm sure you could find a more efficient way of displaying your content without having to put a thousand   Try with div or align tags

I like your logo it's nice :)
  • dizzy_boy
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • dizzy_boy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank you both for such comprehensive reviews! You made very good points, I was aware of most of them.

Yes, the Home, Contact, Map - link panel should stick out more - I notice it because I know where to look - not user oriented thinking, I admit.

You are also absolutely right about section borders - they do work much better on larger sections and on those short ones are in fact a bit distractive - I should probably keep the one just below the menu and the one just above the footer section, or I could revise my text , write some more.

I was thinking of making my pages more dynamic (add some more graphics or maybe some flash animations) because I do realize that they all look the same - lack of inspiration, I must say. I'm aware that no matter how my logo looks good, it can't carry my all pages alone so my pages definitely need more substance, I just have to sit on it some more till bright ideas come to my mind. Open to suggestions as well...

I'm using FF 0.9.3 myself so I did notice the problems with the menu. I tried but couldn't solve it - I'm not so good with JS. Someone told me that there was no problems in FF 1.0, but I'm not sure if this is true. I could use some help about it...

I was looking at my sitemap and it does indeed have to much white space - must do something about it.

I also must say that I am not a professional but I really did all of this myself from scratch - the logo, design, pictures, coding and everything.
I don't even own a design company, so my site isn't hosted properly as well, needless to say that I should own a domain. I'm doing some freelancing for now but if I get my steam rolling I will most certainly pursue this to something more formal. If you look my about page you'll see that I'm a biochemist and my priorities are in that field (unemployed momentarily) but would like to keep web designing as a hobby or a additional bossiness. If I don't ge a job in my profession by the end of the year I probably will open a web design company and try to make a living of it.

Anyway, thanks again, I really value your inputs.
  • dizzy_boy
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • dizzy_boy

Post 3+ Months Ago

I did some fixing!

I cleaned up my code a bit (much less nbsp).
Added more contrast to nav icons (home, mail, map) - top right corner.
Cleaned up site map code - looks better too.
Cleaned up Services and Technology pages, also spiced it up with a little flash animation (rotating pictures) - should expand this to all my pages but need more thinking here.
Still trouble with the menu in FF :(
  • dizzy_boy
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • dizzy_boy

Post 3+ Months Ago

New menu - even more simple but works in IE and FF.

Opera users!
Does my menu look all right in Opera.
  • 613flavah
  • battlestar
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Hurricane...

Post 3+ Months Ago

Menu looks great in all my browsers (including Opera!) way to go!

I see you fixed the jumpy menu issue for FF :D

btw nice photos in the photo gallery. One thing I noticed is that the pop up window doesn't open to the right size for the photos. I still get a horizontal scrollbar. Make it a bit bigger.

Besides that couldn't catch anything else!
  • dizzy_boy
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • dizzy_boy

Post 3+ Months Ago

I use autoresize popup - fits itself around an image so the horizontal scroll is just there until the image loads (images are about 40k - maybe I should optimize some more) but I added some width any way so now there is no scroll at all.

As for the menu goes I used a different script and approach. The old one wasn't doing it for me.
  • websitesponsor
  • Born
  • Born
  • websitesponsor

Post 3+ Months Ago

desings only hirvatski..

translate to english please :D

i like your web site..
  • dizzy_boy
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • dizzy_boy

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://free-ka.htnet.hr/kruno/

opens an intro page where you can select the language (hrvatski/english). I'm not sure how you missed that. The site is translated. Have another look.
I'm glad you liked my site.
I could surely do much more with it if I had a real domain and if it was properly hosted. For now it is on my providers free service (5MB and nothing else)
  • FatBoi
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

nice site, but u should work on a requst part, where people can requst some stuff for there website, would be cool :D
  • dizzy_boy
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • dizzy_boy

Post 3+ Months Ago

I still haven't decided if I will start a web design company (will do by the end of the year). If I register Libra designs, I will put in more work in this site, make it more customer and market oriented and of course get a domain. On my present host I don't have support for a server side language (no ASP, no PHP) so it is quite hard to make my site more interactive.
I'm sticking with freelancing for now, but we'll see...

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 13 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers