SITE REVIEW: Lifesbattles Forum

• LifesBattles.com
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • LifesBattles.com

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello there,

My name is Daniel. I had made this site for users to post whatever such problems they may have. I made this site a few months ago and we're starting to get visitors. I'd like to know what you guys think of my site and what you would do to improve such a site.

http://www.lifesbattles.com

thank you.

Daniel
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• sana
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: I am back!!

Post 3+ Months Ago

hm.. the site seems good althou the layout needs to be improved ^^
  • monsieur_le_christophe
  • Student
  • Student
  • monsieur_le_christophe
  • Loc: Wales, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

hi dan

I'm no expert but here's what I reckon...!

I think the site and design is great. Really simple, clean and clear.

I would say from a design point of view that you should justify the text on your info pages, and add a little more padding to keep your writing away from the edges and the ads. Especially with the our team and staying safe tabs, insert a blank line before the title, and try to spread the text a little more to make it take up more of the space. I would do this by adding another line between each paragraph or something, and another between the title and 1st para.

I think a 'Home' button to take you back to the index page with the welcome message is always good to have.

You could have a small site map across the bottom of your pages so search engines will index them. I think you could refine your description too, to get more people to know of your site; Include the words they would use when searching for a support site like yours in your description that is.

The background .jpg texture is so subtle, I think just a plain colour one might be worth trying. It'd shave 14 KB off the download. Try removing the background image and using #13478D as the background colour (it's currently set to white #ffffff)

Your copyright msg and disclaimer are centered within the text column only, so the ads column is pushing them off-center. I think they'd look better centred with respect to the whole table.

Most of these points are fairly minor things, and I think if your site is doing well anyway that you don't need to worry about changing very much! It's a nice, noble idea for a site so good on ya!

I think you might've been after practical-based improvements rather than design ones but hope (any of) the points help! :)

Chris
  • jlknauff
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

monsieur_le_christophe wrote:
I would say from a design point of view that you should justify the text on your info pages

Before I assume, I will ask-you are not implying that he should justify the text as in streached to both sides are you? If so, I disagree. Justified text should never be used where it must be read for its content (vs text that is there by necessity, such as legal disclaimers, ingredients, etc) It makes it more difficult for the person to read it.

BTW-there is no reason for the BG to be 14k :shock:
  • monsieur_le_christophe
  • Student
  • Student
  • monsieur_le_christophe

Post 3+ Months Ago

Personally, I think the lines of text are long enough that jusitfying them would make the writing no harder to read, just tidier, but each to their own on that one.
The current background image is about 14KB, and prob could be a lot smaller with a little optimization.

Chris
  • jlknauff
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

monsieur_le_christophe wrote:
Personally, I think the lines of text are long enough that jusitfying them would make the writing no harder to read, just tidier, but each to their own on that one.

Um, no. That is not something that is just a matter of personal preference. It's got nothing to do with the length of the lines. It is because people keep their place while reading by using the ragged right edge. It's not something that everyone knows and that's why people with no formal training or little to no innate artistic ability think it is a good idea to justify text. It's along these same lines that so many web pages where everything is beveled & embossed chrome with a drop shadow in 295 different fonts in the same paragraph have come to be.
  • monsieur_le_christophe
  • Student
  • Student
  • monsieur_le_christophe

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well that's cleared that up! :shock:
  • Gandalf
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Forum is great but it is dynamic page. I would advise you to apply one modification to make your forum pages static links. This will improve search results positions.

Here is the mod i refer to:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/about15132.html
  • grover
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • grover

Post 3+ Months Ago

i liked this name...and was expecting something of a more humourous nature...maybe a quote or joke in big letters somewhere..

also, there were too many "do you accept cookies for " blah blah when you log in...that puts me off!

i think it could work with a comic twist...hope that helps

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers