SITE REVIEW: ligerexpress

• bluephoenix
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm at a standstill in my website design...

Here's my problem: I've decided that actually coding my site for a community is far too large a task for the little PHP skill I have. So I've decided that I want to make it a personal site with little interactive content, save for the forums. The real issue with this is that my current layout is designed around a community site... but I really like it. I'm debating whether or not I should keep it and change it around a bit, or just create a totally new and more personalized layout.

To do this, I want some thoughts as to my current design... what are its flaws, and what do you guys think works? Also, the final decision, of course, is mine, but tell me what you think I should do.

The current template: http://www.ligerexpress.com/index.php

(the Admin Login is extremely glitchy and the 'roarbox' doesn't actually work, nor do any of the links.)

PS: I'm not asking for a review. I just want thoughts on whether or not I should redesign my site or not.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• frankie4
  • frankie4

Post 3+ Months Ago

i think u should re design :wink:
  • bluephoenix
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Does that mean it sucks? :P

I figured as much.

Heh, I just finished a splash screen for my new design... if SFTP ever connects, I'll upload it.
  • RockmanTV
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • RockmanTV

Post 3+ Months Ago

Personally, I'm not that fond of it either. However, an easy way to redesign it would be to take a screenshot and trim it up in photoshop. Then use that as a basis for your redesign. Just make sure you don't resize it.
  • bluephoenix
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, my first attempt to redesign is looking a little like this: http://www.ligerexpress.com/template.html

I'm still debating between a sleek design (which I consider that to be, though that is just me), or a grungeish design. Problem is, I'm not great at graphics. :|
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

most images are broken on the template page.

i dont think the first one is THAT bad, it just...needs something. lol it looks pretty plain which makes it boring. so then i too think you should redesign, but i think you have a good start.. if only i could see the template :( lol
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

bluephoenix wrote:
I want some thoughts as to my current design... what are its flaws, and what do you guys think works?

Actually, that is asking for a review, and that is the purpose of the reviews board. You are quite welcome to continue here.
  • ramone_johnny
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • ramone_johnny
  • Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

You need to do something with it, and fast.

It looks bland and unfinished.

RJ
  • bluephoenix
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wow, I'm an idiot, I uploaded the .html file but forgot to upload everything else... I guess I was in a hurry, eh?

Anyhow, fixed it...

And ramone, yeah, I know it's bland, it's just a template... I've got lots to do. There is nothing in terms of content yet.

That's why I don't think it's a review at all, but to each his own.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

oooooh... :) i like that a lot better. probably because i like sites of similar color schemes over sites with your previous (every website i've made has had black as the bg color) but yea - its getting better :) keep goin..

[EDIT]except....the blue man. you need to make the blue in your image darker...b/c having a dark color scheme..and then the banner being white and light blue...idk, its just not appealing to me.[/EDIT]
  • bluephoenix
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

It shouldn't be displaying the white/blue banner, it should be displaying my new banner. Try refreshing once or twice.

Thanks for the comments, though. :)
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

sweet. that looks pretty good..but you should add some content to see what it looks like having something tangible :)
  • bluephoenix
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

AnarchY SI wrote:
sweet. that looks pretty good..but you should add some content to see what it looks like having something tangible :)

Yeah, that would be the key, wouldn't it? :)

When I get around to it, I'll definitely add some interesting stuff. Well, hopefully interesting. Possibly quite boring. But content, nonetheless. </ramble>
  • 01wojtowicz
  • 01wojtowicz

Post 3+ Months Ago

I LIKE THE BANNERS BUT IT IS A BIT SMALL
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce
  • Loc: Washington DC

Post 3+ Months Ago

The main problem I see here is lack of topic. It is hard for your viewer to know what you are about. I assume you wil change something in the content to correct this problem, but I wanted to make sure. :)

Also, cut about 60px off of the width of your header and footer.... it is just a little to big for 800x600, and I figure you are so close it would just make more sense.

Depending on what the site is for, I think I would want to separate the black background from your content and menu background.

Here is what I modded:

I have a PSD of that if you like it. You may have to re-slice it, but it shouldn't be too hard...I can prolly help with that too. :)
  • bluephoenix
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I can always recolor it myself if need be.

And yes, the topic of the site will become apparent once it's all "figured out." It probably won't even be called "Tumult Digital."

The biggest problem I face is indecisiveness... I'm not sure if I even want that layout anymore. I'm thinking of something even simpler... but I don't know.

Also, I see where you're coming from with the banner length. 1280x1024 looks fine, I just figured it would look fine on 800x600, too. I'm wrong, of course. :)

My current thought is: Keep the color scheme, ditch the layout, get something more... personalized. Even in my own opinion my site seems too "community-ish."

Edit: Alright, if you go there now, you'll notice it's all different. I've decided that this will be the final basic template. Feel free to give me any suggestions on what I could add or slightly adjust, but I'm finally satisfied with a simple site design.

And hey, it even has some content! Minimally so, maybe, but it's there. Heh, only on 'home' and 'links' thus far, but I've only been working on it for the past hour or so.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 16 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers