SITE REVIEW: Lime Designs

• Tone2k11
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Tone2k11
  • Loc: Southampton - UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi, just made a website called "Lime Designs" its website design site. I would like to know what you all think about -

The layout and scheme (i cant change colors as it goes with the name)
The content and spacing of text (is it a good idea to have the text lines that far apart?)
And do you think that there is enough graphics?

And anymore comments that you can think of would be great.

Please note that the forms dont work as it is on a temporary server until i get it finished to exactly how i want it.

the URL is http://www.members.aol.com/tattrill03/

Thanks in advance for all your comments
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

firstly, I'd like to say this is a really nice contrast to the ghost and orb society - it's good you are flexible in style :)

Back on topic: I like the colour scheme and the layout is nice, although rather unusual (the ?traffic lights?). The subtle bg images on the main body are a nice touch as you don't notice them at first.

I'm not going to comment on content of the text - I will leave that for others, however the spacing is fine - I'm not sure what the problem is to be honest.

I think the amount of graphics is about right - the site is very "clean" and more graphics might make it seem too cluttered. In fact I would say that you might want to reduce the size of the page title graphics for low-res users (see below).

The only problem is that i found most of the screen was filled with the title. In fact I just lowered resolution to 800x600 and I could see nothing but title!! Bear in mind that nearly 50% of people on the net have 800x600 res, this will put people off and is pretty bad marketing.

You really need a portfolio - I would be wary of signing a contract with you if I cannot see at least a few samples of your work.
  • Tone2k11
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Tone2k11

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank-you very much for your comment (you give really good advice! :D)

The only problem is that i have not got any portfolio. I am really new to this, so do you think that i should wait untill i have done a bit more? And made some more sites for my self?

I agree with you about the banner and will sort that out tonite. The text is pretty draft and needs a lot of work.

I got kinda sick of the ghost orb... its kind of depressing working with black! lol, its nice to have a fresh project and something else to dig my claws into.

I love designing sites just i can never think of anything to do them about, so that why i thought it would be a great idea to make them for over people.

Thanks once again for your comments

Tony
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Tone2k11 wrote:
The only problem is that i have not got any portfolio. I am really new to this, so do you think that i should wait untill i have done a bit more? And made some more sites for my self?

Same here! I'm currently involved with two charity project - one small and one a bit larger, just so that I can have some designs to put on show when I start selling my services.

See if you know anyone who owns a small business or a charity or someone who knows someone....

there's also a post knocking around somewhere (design or general section) by someone who is having the same problem. Go have a look I think there is some good advice on there.

I would definately say that you will need at least a small portfolio (g&o will do for a start, even though it is black it shows your creative flexibility).
  • Kaitou Dark

Post 3+ Months Ago

I truly do love your color scheme and layout. And your buttons are very nice. The codes on your website are simple to load, even for a slow computer (seeing as I'm on a school computer, right now).

But as many before me have said, a portfolio is a must for a web design page.

You're website definitely gives people the idea that you are a very capable web designer. But I would suggest switching hosts, where you can get a simplified URL. Try freeservers.com. That is what I use for my website.
  • Tone2k11
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Tone2k11

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am going to get my own domain. As for an extra $20 a year i can get up to 3 domain names hosted with my server.

I am going to have to think about what i can do in my portfolio. I dont know anyone that needs a site, i spose i could offer my services in forums around the net?

Ta for your suggestions, im really gonna have to get my arse in gear and find new projects so they can go in my portfolio.

Thanks

Tony
  • Tone2k11
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Tone2k11

Post 3+ Months Ago

right i have made the banner smaller and have also changed the text on it. does it now look better?

I think that i am going to offer to make peoples sites so i can build a portfolio. How many sites do you think that i should have in my portfolio?

Cheers

Tony
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Firstly its still big but not too big, so good

Secondly, the answer is "some". If you have more, you may be able to raise your prices a bit. I would say 2-3 minimum. However I am no expert so this is just my opinion.....

My other opinion on the matter is to not put "this site" (ie your site you are selling from). I have seen this and it looks a bit tacky and draws attention to the fact that the portfolio is small!
  • Tone2k11
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Tone2k11

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah totally agree.

How did you get to design the site for a charity? you know the person or contact them of the net?
  • jlknauff
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like your layout and it is a pretty clean site. I also like the fact that you have some white space around the page. The only thing I would really change is the big "home" image near the top of the page.
  • Fex
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yea the colour scheme is really good and the links are impressive, but you should line every below the banner and links up with it, not have wide banner then slim body underneath it.

Under contact you should really change the font from New Times Roman to the font of the homepage body text.

Other wise its looking good!
  • Liquescence
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Queens, NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Beautiful site. A few criticisms though. The font is a bit small. As for the spacing: It's hard to tell when there are one or two line breaks; it just looks as if the spacing is uneven, not as if you had started a new paragraph. Speaking of, I would recommend aligning paragraphs to "justify" (I just think it would look neater). Color scheme is good (a bit too much white though). Last thing: I'm not sure if the pages are to be centered, but on my screen they're not (I'm using Netscape). The header graphics are centered, but the actual content is more to the right than center.
  • Tone2k11
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Tone2k11

Post 3+ Months Ago

ah, thank you, just need to add the <centre> tag that should sort that out. As for the spaceing, i will try and sort that out.

I have not touched that site for a while as i am trying to build my portfolio up, by the time i do that i will probely get fed up with it and redesign the whole thing!
  • jagg
  • jagg
  • Loc: dc

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sorry, but those pics are amazing. Its totally ironic becuase i changedmy fav. color to lime green like a week ago lol. I love it. The header, everything. Jesus. No suggestions there save for maybe a bit more material

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 14 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers