SITE REVIEW: Linear-Personality design portfolio

• dont_lament
  • dont_lament

Post 3+ Months Ago

Please have a look at my design porfolio.

The background changes really often cos i cant decide what i like! IF you have any ideas just let me know ;)

Lickety lick
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Navigation for the most part is easy to use.
After noticing some of the selectbox options get cut off, and wondering if the options are filled server-side,
I recommend getting rid of the boxes all together, replacing them with an XML feed DHTML menu.
If You feel the need to keep the select boxes at least label them above,
for it is easy to loose track of which ones are which with the labels only being inside them.

I'm not a big fan of the letter spacing (or shall I say lack of) in your logo, though It is legable it it doesn't go with the separation space of everything else.

I like the use of the IFrame with the %percentage based size of your tables, this allows me to scroll large content yet still have access to navigation.
There is one exception to this liking, "clients/joseph hallahan" the slide-show changes images too fast for how tall they are.
With a maximised 1024x768 window I was easily fustrated trying scroll to see the bottom of the works before they changed.
Slide-shows in my opinion should always be totally visible, no scrolling envolved.

Overall I think you have a good framework, with only the need for minor adjustments. :wink:
  • dont_lament
  • dont_lament

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for your feedback :)

Joebert, I really like the small kern in my logo...but i am not liking it in the area on the index iframe where it discusses my new single...

I have been considering using some type of XML/Xhtml etc stuff but was unsure of the path I should take. Have any suggestions? I mean the way Ive done it is very easy and quick to use and thats why i initially chose to do it that way but it is also intended to be upgraded.

As for the scroll problem you had i was not aware of it as I only have high res monitors. Im concerned about how 800*600 users can use it.

I was going to knock a good 50px off the height of that flash content.

Thanks again.
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

hi, im viewing on IE at 800x600

its a bit difficul to read ur logo text etc its fairly squished into each other. i guess u mean for that though.

your dropdown menu text gets chopped off and cant read everything it says - This is on Photography - Clients & Contact

Popups are bad. DotTK have a section where you can opt to have no popups :) I suggest you visit there and turn it off.

I went to Clients and selected Joseph Hallah and a bunch of images are flashing across my screen really fast. I cant click on them to view them not can I see them properly becuase they change so fast you might want to slow it down :)

Your contact drop down menu has contact and contact us - did you mean for that? they also dont link anywhere.

Its not too flash to view on a 800x600 a fair of scrolling needs to be done to view the photos within the frames.

Otherwise great job. :thumbsup:
  • dont_lament
  • dont_lament

Post 3+ Months Ago

You rock music!

No more popups now! YEAH YEAH YEAH

I will look at the titles getting chopped off.

Im into the fast movment of those images but have not had time to drop a script on top that allows you to stop them changing when you hold down.

Theres already one on the album design part.

Soon all of it will be in flash. All the content.
  • starqueen
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

oh i viewed this earlier and my net connection was screwing up again and i couldnt reply, lol... so that i had some time to digest ur site, here are some crits:

1. i love the name of the site.
2. the typography on your site is fantastic from an artistic perspective, but for web content, esp considering an index page, there needs to be more kerning and "white" space for viewers. just something u have to sacrifice for easier navigation and readability
3. i like how it aligns to the left and the red background on the right, very linear, good keeping with the linear idea
4. only thing that really bothers me is the navigation, although simple to use and easy to reuse, it lacks anything special. dont know what id suggest to you. perhaps instead a generic pull down menu you could supplement that for a programmed flat menu?

i did take a good look at the portfolio of course (i am an artist). i love ur work but i HAVE GOT to suggest to you the bikini vector art... it looks like a microsoft paint artwork. the design is fantastic, i think the top portion of her bikini is very flat looking. if you added more shadows to her chest and under the clothing it would look FANTASTIC. please IM me if u want vector suggestions, i love working with it.

okay i got carried away, hope i was helpful!!!! ;)
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

dont_lament wrote:
You rock music!

No more popups now! YEAH YEAH YEAH

I will look at the titles getting chopped off.

Im into the fast movment of those images but have not had time to drop a script on top that allows you to stop them changing when you hold down.

Theres already one on the album design part.

Soon all of it will be in flash. All the content.

hehe glad to help :D
  • dont_lament
  • dont_lament

Post 3+ Months Ago

Starqueen...

I just love lines...hehe....

Typography is great...im a student and i get to make a font next semester and i cant wait....and as for the small kern i want it in the logo but when i have time will reduce the amount of it in the other pages...as i agree...its horrible to read online.

The nav needs something...thats correct...but i just wanted to get it all up before I focus on each element. Thinking it over now....

So did you like the vector girl? its actually not quite finished yet...her chest is WAY to white...I would be interested in getting some specific suggestions...thatd be GREAT...you can get me on msn on dontlament_hotmail_com or just email me there

Thanks heaps!
  • starqueen
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

on msn when youre ready, lol i love digi art...
  • dont_lament
  • dont_lament

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok cool,

so i have to go to uni but will be home in about 2.5 hours. Its 10.30 am here now....so at about 1.30 here? I dont know where you are...what are your msn details?

i love it too :)
  • starqueen
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

ill im you on my time :D lol... im usually on 24/7, i dont wanna post sns publically
  • dont_lament
  • dont_lament

Post 3+ Months Ago

for sure 8)
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

After reading that all your content will be in flash I ask, why not do the same with navigation ?

You can have flash load an XML file and build the navigation from it, allowing you to make changes to your navigation by simply appending new items to a copy of the XML file at home/ect; and uploading to overwrite the old.

Here's a few tutorial examples,
Basic XML Menu (flash)
http://www.purephotoshop.com/article/90

w/submenus
http://www.purephotoshop.com/article/95
  • Pknuts
  • Pknuts

Post 3+ Months Ago

Very nice! I love the simple navigation at the top of the page. It makes everything really clear and easy to see, and doesn't take up so much room.

One thing I'm not TOO sure about is your use of colour... I think you've maybe used too many to the point where there isn't really a colour theme for the website if you know what I mean.
  • Cryptor69
  • Cryptor69

Post 3+ Months Ago

Red and Purple CAN work, but not every red CAN work with every purple. IMHO the one you chose is too bright for the red you use.

When you choose an option from the menu and something that is larger then the window in the middle loads the scroll bar kills the expirience to me. Makes it look like unfinished work.
  • dont_lament
  • dont_lament

Post 3+ Months Ago

which red and which orange are you in particular talking about?

It really is unfinished work at the moment. Ive been crammed with lots of uni work at the moment.

What res are you on aswell?

Im going to built an xml back end and make it easily updateable with a flash frontend when i get a spare week or two. But i think in the meantime i need to resize all the artwork.

Thanks for the feedback.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 16 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers