SITE REVIEW: Link Experiment

• runnerunner
  • runnerunner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Site is: http://www.linkexperiment.com

Basically the idea is that people can buy SEO friendly links on the homepage which will feature the last 100 links purchased in order of price. You can buy any available spot on the homepage. When the page fills to 100, as new links are added, the cheapest link will fall off the homepage. If the buyer wants their link to stay up longer, they can bid a higher price to drive down competition. For example, i launched the site monday, and got a lot of $.01 bids, then a .05, .1, .11, .15, then came a $1 bid, and after that nobody has bid in the last 24 hours due to the jump. So he will have the top 2 spots for a while.

So what do people think about the idea?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• nichevalue
  • Born
  • Born
  • nichevalue
  • Loc: US

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think the idea is a pretty good one, but I am not sure you can keep raising the listing fee like you are. Eventually you will price out everyone.

Also, as for the look of the site I would reduce the number of colors used. I think it gives the site an unprofessional look.

Other than that good luck with the site.
  • runnerunner
  • runnerunner

Post 3+ Months Ago

well, i'm not personally raising the listing fee, people are bidding against each other, so i figure, if one person is willing to pay a certain amount, than others should too over time.
  • Ganceann
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Ganceann

Post 3+ Months Ago

It is a decent idea with limitations.

There will come a point where people would be unwilling to pay the next highest bidding amount.

The SEO friendliness may change as search engines continually move their handling on links.

The colours of the links themselves for the links do seem as though more could be done with them in terms of colour co-ordination.
  • jeruk
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Hermosillo

Post 3+ Months Ago

why list on a directory fee if can be free :? , but good look with your site friend.
  • chinacorner
  • Born
  • Born
  • chinacorner

Post 3+ Months Ago

great website and good luck .

:roll:
  • s][ren
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Lehigh Valley

Post 3+ Months Ago

cool idea.

I do agree with the colors, although they do match the header.
  • runnerunner
  • runnerunner

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks for the feedback everyone,

jeruk,
It's not a directory in that people wouldn't come to my site to find other sites. They would come to my site because they're curious about how much the highest link is going for, or at least that's what i'm going for.

siren,
I thought you might be right, so I tried a more appealing color scheme. But it looked too good, too boring, so I switched back. I guess I'm going more for the "homemade" look which I think think is part of the appeal.

and just a general update: 34 links sold with the high bid at $2 now.
  • Azoundria
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Its a good idea but the design could use some improvement. It takes trial and error to get a good design, and if you give up after trying one possibility of course its not going to work.

Also, insulting other peoples reviews of your site in your blog is not a good way to make friends, and I know it turned me off from buying a link(even if I would have).

In About, maybe you could tell us what you plan to do with the money.

You said the list order is random when bidders tie. It should be first come gets higher that someone who signed up later. That way people who register earlier have the advantage.

It sucks you cant edit links. Can you bid them higher later? You should be able to.

If your not going to change the layout, atleast darken the green a little. It looks lighter than all the others.
  • wannaknow

Post 3+ Months Ago

Idea is innovative, but as mentioned there are many questions.
First of all, why someone would buy a link on this page ?
It can be either for traffic or for PR, but it has none of them yet.
Links colors are so shouting, that one sees no difference between highly paid
link and cheap links which is unfair - higher bidder must get priority.
You could also count number of clicks out for those links (can still keep it SE-friendly like in my top).
You mentioned that new buyer must outbid previous highest price, but it says
"Current minimum is $.01 per link" even though the most expensive link was purchased for $2.25.

How are you promoting your website ?
  • ageek
  • ageek
  • Loc: In your mind....

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think that this website has a very interesting idea that could have potential.

The first thing that I noticed on your site was the amount of colors you used. It kinda makes my eyes hurt, and if I ever just came across your site while browsing, I would probably just hit the back button. Your need a professional feel with a set color scheme to attract people to bid.

Also, I noticed next to some of the links that it said "$0.1". At first, this confused me a bit, until I realized that it meant 10 cents. If you could somehow put a zero at the end of that, I think it would make your site a bit less confusing.

Also, where it says "Total $$$ for Links" at the top; when I see the three dollar signs, it makes me think of one of those get rich quick sites and doesn't not carry a professional feel to it. If you changed that to a word, I think it would be a bit more professional.

Also, the eventuality that people will just stop bidding because the bidding will get to high has to be solved somehow. I can't think of anything, but hopefully you can.

Good luck.
  • runnerunner
  • runnerunner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the input guys.

I changed the site a bit to address what ageek was talking about. In order to keep the site from drying up quick now you can bid for any spot, not just the top one. That's why the minimum bid is now $.01.

as for the look of the site. Maybe I should ditch the multicolor look, but I'm not trying for a professional look. I tried doing rollovers, all the same color, and it looked boring and not the spirit of the page.

The point of the page is to drive traffic to sites (seo friendly links is just a perk when the page gets pr). The draw to the page is the amount of money it has made. As the page earns more money, it will generate more interest, as it generate more interest it will earn more money.

I've posted on every webmaster message board to get the links I have now, because webmasters are the only ones who would see potential to start. I'm going to do press releases next week, so we'll see how that goes.
  • yenerich
  • Student
  • Student
  • yenerich

Post 3+ Months Ago

The main problem i see, is that this will work only if site has good PR or good Alexa's ranking.
  • r2k
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • r2k

Post 3+ Months Ago

The index U should give some pictures and U should'n use tag <center> each link
  • Azoundria
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Whats the significance of the four rows of links? I should think you should have them be categories but they're not. Maybe another good idea is a random link thing at the top, so anyone has their link show up, but make it so it appears more often based on the bid.

I see the green was darkened(or its an illusion either way it looks better).

The 'Mailing List' should be rephrased to be a bit nicer. I dont know how to explain whats wrong and it makes sense but it could be improved. Maybe you could send it out monthly instead as a newsletter.

Good to see your listening.
  • bernkly
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

This idea is not new. I already seen some site doing it.

The links is kinda blur color. Also the website traffic is pretty low since the content of your website are not maintain frequently. I had check more than 13 site of your site but didn't found anything worth my interest.

I'm sorry but it would be better to have 1 quality link rather than 100 quantity links.

1. Try to enhance the layout look and feel.
2. Try to advertise your website and bring more traffic.
3. Add more content to your website. It seems to me, that you purchased all the website but unable to maintain it. :?
  • runnerunner
  • runnerunner

Post 3+ Months Ago

update: Site has been picked up by The Houston Chronicle
as of today

next up, working on some free php scripts in order to generate some more traffic for the site. Also, site is now indexed on google, msn, and ranked on Alexa(with a little pic). Not bad for a week and a half old site i'd say. Thanks to everyone who helped get this page started!

Azoundria, yea the green had to be changed, everyone was complaining about it! I'll go work on the mailing list pitch now

bernkly, where have you seen a site like this? I think one link would be much more boring that 100 links.
  • Azoundria
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was just thinking if you wanted more traffic you could do a recent referrer thing like other sites do. You display a link to the site that sent you the most recent visitor on your page. Just an idea...

Another idea - Random Site. People can just click the button to go to a random site.
  • runnerunner
  • runnerunner

Post 3+ Months Ago

those are pretty good ideas, maybe i'll try them.

right now though, i've been working non-stop on a new site I'm going to use to help promote the link exchange site. I'll post it here when I'm done testing/getting the bugs out.

I also just created an affiliate program for the site. Pays 15% of links, 15% for subaffiliates, the minimum payout is $15, and the payout... 15 days after the end of the month.

The program doesn't have many features now, but it works, if anyone's interested you can find it here:
http://www.linkexperiment.com/affiliate.php

I'll report back here when I launch my new site, I think the traffic from the new site should be pretty big.
  • wannaknow

Post 3+ Months Ago

Good luck with your project. I just bought 1 link :)
  • runnerunner
  • runnerunner

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm giving away $50 to the webmaster that can send the most traffic to http://linkexperiment.com for details check out the thread I just posted http://www.ozzu.com/sutra343999.html

contest starts today now, june 15th 5pm and lasts a week. Should generate some good traffic, current top link is $3 and minimum bid is still just a penny (although i wouldn't suggest buying the bottom link)
  • runnerunner
  • runnerunner

Post 3+ Months Ago

oh, and thanks for buying a link wannaknow
  • alexmos
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Europe, RO

Post 3+ Months Ago

The ideea of the website is very nice... I think it will have lot of success... you should spend some bucks for a nice layout...
  • Sxperm
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Sxperm

Post 3+ Months Ago

Pros. This is a great idea site. However, It takes me a time to learn about it, to know how goods and benefits from it. (It may because of my dumb :lol: )

Cons. too many colors for me. Navigation is so-so.

Regards,
http://www.estateround.com

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 24 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers