SITE REVIEW: LinkLasso.com Web Directory

• bbott1982
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: NJ, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey everyone,

We just launched a new site for our network.

http://www.LinkLasso.com

It's pretty straight forward... and a very clean design.

Please let me know your thoughts and opinions about the site.

We're also accepting free submissions for quality content rich sites. If you want a free listing simply include "FREE LASSO" in the Notes box when submitting your website. As always a link back is appreciated but not required.

CHEERS :)
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Mas Sehguh
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

The design: You need to make visited links appear different than unvisited. Especially at a site like this one; people are going to need to know where they have been and where they will be.

The concept: Horrible.

Few Web sites will want to get listed, because nobody visits your directory. And nobody will visit your directory, because no Web sites will be listed. The only way you can grow in popularity is for the site itself to seek out sites and add them to its directory voluntarily. But if you're doing that, who'd buy premium listings?

And who would use your service when they could use dmoz or google's directory? And searching is a much faster way to find information.

Looking at your Submit Your Site page:

"Only ethical web sites (non adult) will be considered" - most people believe that "ethical" and "non adult" are not synonyms. This is fairly inarguable, as sites that install spyware are almost universally considered unethical by people who actually know what spyware is.

"Do not submit sites which promote illegal activity." - Lots of activities are illegal in different places. Illegal by China's definition? By France's definition? By Germany's? Tuvalu's?

"Do not submit pages which redirect the user to another pages." - You need a copy editor.

You already have too many categories; you should add new categories when they're necessary, not pre-allocate them. People don't like finding empty categories.
  • desertland
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • desertland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have to agree with Sam on this one... in addition to his comments, it's a very "typical" site. There are a large number of similar directories that already exist and have a large amount of content. What is the main differentiator that will make your site stand out? Once you discover that, you should advertise it :)
  • bbott1982
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Obviously nobody will pay at first being that our traffic is low, pagerank is 0, and we do not have many listings...

This is why we're accepting free listing from many different web communities. If we feel the sites submitted are worthy of being listed we list them for free in effort to build up the directory.

Sorry if you don't like the concept, this is a new venture for us...

Cheers! :)
  • miner
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • miner
  • Loc: India

Post 3+ Months Ago

I agree with Sam Hughes,

you must add links to your category by yourself, dont wait for people to submit to a empty ones and i hate to find nothing at the end after digging 2 to 3pages in your sites just to see "No links were found in this category - Links in this category: 0" :roll:

And the way you customised the google ads on the link pages on top of the listings..haha you seem to think it is a clever one to do to earn $$ from google but to be frank i hate these type of sites forcing to click goooogle! and sure most of them hate it tooo...
  • ranoo
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • ranoo

Post 3+ Months Ago

i like the design. very nice.

if you just started your site you have to insert some links free to bring visitators.
i think nobody will pay 60 $ for a site which is empty

good luck
  • bbott1982
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Update, we're in the process of adding new sites...

We also installed a mod rewrite so all the directory pages are static now :)
  • Jibran
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Lucknow, India

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like the design. Instead of manually adding links, why dont you get a bot to do your stuff. Make it into a regular search engine/directory like google?

And it might take months to get a decent pageranking, and no. of links for others to be want to pay for a listing.
  • Yambot
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Germany

Post 3+ Months Ago

In your logo is this here:
Search Engine And Website Directory

Cut it out from your logo and make a <h1> text from this under your cutted logo because Search engines like google will love it!
  • bbott1982
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yambot wrote:
In your logo is this here:
Search Engine And Website Directory

Cut it out from your logo and make a <h1> text from this under your cutted logo because Search engines like google will love it!

Yea i'll have to use CSS to position it. Good idea.

Now i just need to find the time to do it. haha... Been busy w/ work. :lol:
  • Shad
  • Shad

Post 3+ Months Ago

suggestions:

need to introduce another colour (maybe blue?)
make the font smaller
need a logo font

Shad
  • bbott1982
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I changed the color scheme a bit, how does it look now? :?:
  • hankhill
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: On the hill!!! Where else?

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, it reminds me of Yahoo or AOL with the Category listings....And I hate Yahoo, but I hate AOL even more...But that aside. The header is nice, the name's kinda catchy, but the concept's been done time and time again....

The above ppl are right, you need to get a bot a crawlin' asap. I don't know how you're going to get the ppl to come to your site, cause I can find anything on google, and I cannot find much with your search....

Color scheme seems ok.

The Please visit our sponsors headers seems a bit old school, like a kid hosting a site on geocities or something begging to visit sponsors.

And this is a piece of work on your T&C:

"We reserve the right to remove your site after it has been listed for any reason without refund. "

Doesn't give me a warm fuzzy doing business with you. Makes me feel all censored and stuff.

Just an FYI, this popped up when I hit back after going to the paypal pay page:
Warning: mysql_query(): Access denied for user: 'root@localhost' (Using password: NO) in /home/ewebdeve/public_html/directory/index.php on line 28

Warning: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established in /home/ewebdeve/public_html/directory/index.php on line 28
Access denied for user: 'root@localhost' (Using password: NO)
  • camp185
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: San Jose, CA

Post 3+ Months Ago

On the main page I would create a little more space between the directory and the ads. Also, when I clicked on the add url, the column on the right where I enter info is titled: PAYMENT RECEIVED.

I hadn't made any payment, I just clicked add url.
  • bbott1982
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

camp185 wrote:
On the main page I would create a little more space between the directory and the ads. Also, when I clicked on the add url, the column on the right where I enter info is titled: PAYMENT RECEIVED.

I hadn't made any payment, I just clicked add url.

You were probably viewing the page while I was making changes. Should be resolved now.
  • camp185
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: San Jose, CA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Whatever changes you made the site looks a lot better. Colors, clarity, looks like a pro site. The one thing that still bugs me though is the ads on the bottom. I don't have a problem with the ads themselves it's just that they seem close to the directory. Could you put a <hr> matching the background but make it about 30 pixels high to seperate a little more? Might want to try it.
  • Unfused
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: UNFUSED.NET

Post 3+ Months Ago

Looks very proffesional, well layed out, i love the logo..

but its the costs, concept and site criteria that let it down, no one is going to pay 60 Usd for a low traffic site when they can get on Google for nearly nothing.

Good Look with it though.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

bbott1982 wrote:
We also installed a mod rewrite so all the directory pages are static now :)

But it's still showing session IDs on the URLs.

http://www.gritechnologies.com/tools/sp ... sso.com%2F

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 18 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers