SITE REVIEW: a little change:)

• PokerSpider
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: norway

Post 3+ Months Ago

EHHHHHH :lol: :lol:
I have made some changes to looks and content..even if its not all finished i have had me a lesson in school and tried to come upp with a better result......
Anyone have the time to take a new visit and see if its any improvement :its NOT that red now :D :D

http://www.myhome-yo.com----this adress is no longer in use.the pages is just out there.i have cancelled that site..this edit of this post was updated on 09.01.2006 my new site is located at http://3wpoker.com
hope it wont be that bad of a wisit:) peace...
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Nashville, TN

Post 3+ Months Ago

Umm, anyone else getting redirecting to microsoft by this address?

http//www.myhome-yo.com

???
  • vpar2
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • vpar2
  • Loc: Rockville MD

Post 3+ Months Ago

I really love your web site. I didnt realize that you were the man who made microsoft office and windows at first. But Bill, couldnt your site have been http://www.billgates.com or something? Why was it myhome-yo.com? I didnt know you spoke jive. You seem much more cool to me now than you did before.
  • PokerSpider
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi...last night i did a link check on the pages with a program.i got few links up on that report and one of them was a page with microsoft "happening" of some kind....This probably means that i have some errors that other browsers dont acept ore something..im so new, so this is learnfull stuff for me so if anyone or you find out an error in a way through this, i will behappyfortherestofmylife for any tips on how to corect or find out whats wrong outh there(i am using a "effect that only explorer accept,, but it should in other browsers only load the page in the actuall background colour....)
hope you get there in a way :lol: all my friends here, that i know, get to the site corectly...also others from usa,eng,,etc...some have been there:)

But it was realy ok to get some words abouth this because i felt something maybe was wrong after the tests last night:)
Hoping to get this repaired/fixed in a way:)
  • mic check
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • mic check
  • Loc: US

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sometimes I get confused. Ok a lot of times I get confused. If Im gonna build a site like others whose sites are top knotch. Wouldnt flash be te way to go? How would I get that
  • PokerSpider
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

its not in my field with the flash i found out....
A friend of mine came with a bible they call the flash bible (flash5),,,and like, the book was not far from 5 kilos, and some thousand pages :shock: so that kinda made me realize that if im to learn flash i need to learn it in a way of using a program that enables me to put flas inn like a premade style..because then u can always read the program and understand functions in a easier way i think,and at the same time read some maybe:)..so my suggestion is that if ure to go for flash,,,,goto a developer that have programs that alows you to add any content to a premade flash site but still u can change almost all of its looks to your desire...heres a program i went for at download.com(free download site) and its called TrendyFlash Sitebuilder...I only tell you about the program because of my own experience,and download.com is a good reliable software resource center i think.

its only a suggestion....and by the way my website builder allows me to input sertain flash elements,,,and i learn html in a "flash" with the program(i use a whatuseeiswhatuget program for my site)

hope it helps
  • spintwo
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • spintwo

Post 3+ Months Ago

UPSGuy wrote:
Umm, anyone else getting redirecting to microsoft by this address?

http//www.myhome-yo.com

???

You're missing hte colon. http<<<:>>>//www.myhome-yo.com
  • Blotch
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Blotch

Post 3+ Months Ago

After putting in the ":" in the address, I was able to visit the page. It looks pretty good for being your first website. One thing I have to point out though is the Bravenet search engine submitter on the bottom of the page - what's that about? If you were trying to have some webmaster tools on the site, I recommend making a page specifically for the tools rather than stuff them at the bottom of the page where nobody can see it.

Best of luck to you!
  • PokerSpider
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

I take that advice in mind and gotta say i got that webmasterpage now:)

8) was to put one up lol,and i already have a page containing all the links to bravenet..(in the left section under the horoskope link,,called bravenet:)) I am gona take action with text in the black "lines" over my links at my index page that more clearly shows what they lead to:) thank you for the usefull review and hope i will have improved if you deside to have a new look in some time :D :D
  • PokerSpider
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just wondering if there are anyone else who have been at the site for review? :lol: nice if i could get a couple more if someone got the time:)
Think this forum is the most reliable and most learning review option i can get nowa days :wink:
gona have me a tripp around some new pages here my self now :!:
  • zoic
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

The colors are...alright, but there's a bit too many gradients on the site, it kind of draws attention away from the content. It loaded really slow for me too :S
  • PokerSpider
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

yep...i guess its the way im feeling with my site also...maybe it looks to "amateur" and actually its better to go back to my plain white and with only a text background and adding adds just like they all do:)...cause i know it will always load fast if i aint got much content and maybe thats more important so that people dont leave before the page loads....critic is a verry handy tool,so if anyone get the same feeling when they wisit i think i maybe just should erase this project and kinda go back to a fresh start:)always hard this, with getting ok design:):)

thank you for reviewing it and helping:)
  • daremedy
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • daremedy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Looking at your source code you've made your layout using pure css, which is really good. But the upper left portion where you have the "Change Color" part breaks when you view it in Firefox. You should also reconsider the way you've designed your css. A lot of your css code is unneccesary, plus you still use font tags (which true css designs dont need). You have more div's than I've ever seen used on a website and I'd strongly recommend you stay away from absolute positioning.

The general look of your site is very cluttered and hard to follow. Your navigation is very bad and with a menu option called "WazzUp" you've lost any professionalism the website had left. I'm still not sure whether this site is intended as a poker resource or your own personal blog. As a poker resource, the site isnt very resourceful at all. The color scheme is questionable at best and personally, I have never been a fan of those page transition effects. Why you have Bruce Springsteen's Streets of Philadelphia queued up in the Windows Media Player is beyond me.

What it boils down to is re-think your site's layout and what you want it to focus on. You cant have it be a poker resource and blog, its hard to pull that off. Be sure to read up on css if/when you do re-design your site, the code you have now is bad. Also try and create your own menu and stay away from the Macromedia generated ones. Those too can be generated using css. Best of luck to you.
  • PokerSpider
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok...Then im up for deleting this project and start over.. :D This because i realy want to "make it there"....so therefor i got a couple of questions:)

1 I dont know much about html yet,,,but should i go directly to read and learn css maybe first?..do i need to learn all abouth html in beforehand?
2.Is it just to forget to use a what u see........ program..because if my program writes codes as bad as you say...im not using it anymore:)

P.S Man if im to write and write all the codes needed for like 100 pages im not done before next year...and of course all my words here might just be all out of "points" and knowledge...but i guess you all "started"somewhere also:)
Glad to be a member and thank you so much for helping me with a "boost to my as" (meaning that i realy want a future with this webdesigning and creating,,,started 2 mnths ago so its not over yet,im not gona give up even if this project `"sucks")

So i hope to have a new project based on my own writen codes in a couple of months:)thnx for the reviews and i realy dont need to much more of reviewing now,,lol next time im up for posting a site that at least got one good point:)
  • TI3STO
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • TI3STO
  • Loc: England, UK.. West Yorkshire.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Its seems like a personal website, im guessing by others comments its supposed to be a poker website, you definatly need more poker content adding to the site..

Your text needs spell checking and adding some proffesionalism to the way things are worded will make it much easier to read and understand.

Tone down the colours too, my face was pretty close to the screen when it loaded and i nearly blinded myself..hehe..

Oh well.. 6/10.
  • PokerSpider
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

yep my english typing sucks:) will get that better on the new site.....

right now im in scool at w3school:) wow i get scared by what i need to learn before making a ok site.....i know the basics of html.... if im to sit down and start writing something,,,i need to learn the whole story,,,cause if not, its only gona be bad bad bad..

hope you people reading this dont think im like sad ore thinking sad abouth my self because of some critics...i got an anouncement:)
I newer get satisfied before i get something that is at least, approved by people knowing a bit abouth it..and now i was up for some reviews after creating something with no prior knowledge of computers at all(i still use one finger when typing:)) i got my reviews and i am happy for them all....makes me go on....
The thing im gona do is,, learn.learn,learn All help is apprisiated:)

well, back to school now:)
  • PokerSpider
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

wanted to just say thanx for the '"boost" i got by getting the good feedback on my first project:)...Spent like 5-6 hours at html/css reading at w3school and i started creating in another way:) and now i know much much more...Good place to learn it in a easy way at 3w:)

think its even gona load a bit faster now,,,now its some good hours adding new and more content..thx again:)
The site is totaly changed:)
  • Unfused
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: UNFUSED.NET

Post 3+ Months Ago

I viewed your old website, and i viewed your new site, and its a huge improvement you cant even tell its the same place..Very impressive.

I think you logo should be a pile of Chips or cards and not a green cube, just a thought.

Look forward to see the site when its complete.
  • PokerSpider
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

wow that felt good..... :D :D

Agree with the logo,,just one for a starter that one...(thinking of changing my sites name in general,,,i started out with making a homesite and thats why it first became myhome-yo.com) the logo is gona be changed to cards/etc,, when i "find" the desired one on the net....(been searching all over:)

I even feel the site is a bit more personal now when i kinda "follow/read the codewriting and learn in depht" :roll: (my english typing sucks sometimes) :wink: ..gona do my best and i thank you again:)

P.S...i aint to much at the other topics in here now(spending a lot of time at 3w school:) but i am gona "dedicate" time reviewing sites and reading other topics in here,,,,, in time lol:)
  • PokerSpider
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi to all that reviews..

Since i first joined ozzu i have been away for a long time..decided that i should sit down and try to get even more basic knowledge before posting....

I have now changed my sites name and it is to be found at http://3wpoker.com.

I have gone into the world of css and it shure is a lot more easy for me to understand now.The site code is based upon templates made by two other designers but i`ve used a bit from them both and i have converted the site from xhtml 1.0 to xhtml1.1.and all code is handwritten by my self from start to end,i know all of it...:)but still i need to learn a lot more..

Just hoping for a new review of my webdesign/coding now.

upssss:my link dont seem to work.it says my site is down...calling my webhost so i can fix it.so if you dont find my site now then please try it sometime later

kindly from pokerspider...
  • PokerSpider
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thought it was some problem at my host when my link didnt work on the above reply....

My adress is 3wpoker.com and it should work ok.talked to my host this morning(here in norway) and my site is all well and up for wisits but it might be a problem with the link from here...

so this is a test post with the link again here.... http://3wpoker.com

p.s. I know it is based upon a template but i realy got to say that it was just for the start.....i have used to templates and converted them together....I also need to alter all code to get it xhtml1.1 aproved and that takes some work to get right for a newbie like me.so i rely call it my own because the layout made by dimitri as a start was done just to save time(dont need to write à all new "wrapper id" ++.They needed altering anyway so better to start with a template it was for me because the layout would have become the same even if i didnt use a template....i know my id`s ++

kindly from pokerspider.
  • PokerSpider
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi...
I understand that its not all that of a site ive got but i could realy need some review of it and some corections,hints,tips,new ideas,useable features,what to keep on doing or just quit doing ore whatewer:)
Does it completely su... ?--ore have i done someting ok as a "freshman builder"?

Its my way of getting feedback on how im doing in my self learning education..
I have also put a link to this forum on my site so all is fair and square:)

Hoping to get a new review....

from pokerspider
  • PokerSpider
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

daremedy wrote:
Looking at your source code you've made your layout using pure css, which is really good. But the upper left portion where you have the "Change Color" part breaks when you view it in Firefox. You should also reconsider the way you've designed your css. A lot of your css code is unneccesary, plus you still use font tags (which true css designs dont need). You have more div's than I've ever seen used on a website and I'd strongly recommend you stay away from absolute positioning.

The general look of your site is very cluttered and hard to follow. Your navigation is very bad and with a menu option called "WazzUp" you've lost any professionalism the website had left. I'm still not sure whether this site is intended as a poker resource or your own personal blog. As a poker resource, the site isnt very resourceful at all. The color scheme is questionable at best and personally, I have never been a fan of those page transition effects. Why you have Bruce Springsteen's Streets of Philadelphia queued up in the Windows Media Player is beyond me.

What it boils down to is re-think your site's layout and what you want it to focus on. You cant have it be a poker resource and blog, its hard to pull that off. Be sure to read up on css if/when you do re-design your site, the code you have now is bad. Also try and create your own menu and stay away from the Macromedia generated ones. Those too can be generated using css. Best of luck to you.
arghhhhhhh:)check out the quote i made below...managed to mess upp when i tried the first time.dont know how to erase this quote...
  • PokerSpider
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

PokerSpider wrote:
daremedy wrote:

well the thing is that it was this message last year that made me sit down and think about what i wanted.All code on my myhome-yo.com website was created using web page maker,,,i did actually not know anything about Css any than heard of the word:)Well i did as you suggested and i did not return here before i could handle my code by knowing what it does...now i have formatted and done all the coding on my new site.its pure css and i have tried so hard as can with my current knowledge to make it as "clean" as possible...I would realy highly aprissiate if you had the time to take another peak at my site now.and check my code..feel free to realy correct what u believe could be done better and wich suits my code...
Thank you so much for inspiring me to make a new leap in my web"understanding"
Kindly from poker spider...
  • PokerSpider
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

I changed the header img. and ihave tested a new way to use my <h1> in the way of that i placed it outside my #wrapper div wich contains my main content.The reason i have a question about this is that i was running a test and i got a report after a validating test(not silktide) and that test mentioned a warning that asked this :

Description.. Confidence:
Should this be a header? Low
Is this really a header? Low

I know its only a warning but i don't even like them:)
Is there anyone that can give me a tip on why i have this "error" showing and/or is it related to the fact that i have my <h1> Outside my main content?

Thanx for helping if someone got 5 to do it:)
P.s:The reason to put it outside is that what ever window size(almost) a surfer opens...my main welcome and page info is visible and explaining whats on the surfers window.And it only moves my page down when the window is smaller than my #wrapper width....For me this is acceptable in the way of what i get back for it:)+ it has some advantages in how the search engines find me...i think...I'm to much of a freshman to really know, corrections are very much accepted and welcome..

From pokerspider
http://3wpoker.com
  • mdancy
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • mdancy
  • Loc: hong kong

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,
The layout is ok, far as I could tell everything worked and was in its proper place.

I think you have to many color schemes going on. The blue in the menu buttons does not go well with the blue in the header graphic.

And you do need some help with your English - though that can wait till last I'm sure.

Being that I'm new to all this too, I can give you the benefit of my learning curve. First, I started out learning html and set my pages up with tables. I felt fairly comfortable with it, and once you get going it isn't too hard - just frustrating. After that I tackled css - if you've got the hang of css now, then it should be easy street for you.

You'll need to know both html and css. There are hundreds of great sources on the web - just do some searches & you'll find all sorts of tutorials, and links to other helpful sites.

You can probably salvage the site with some design changes, and what others have suggested here.

It's hard work, but can be sort of, well kind of fun in a freakish way.

good luck,
mdancy
http://www.tonydancy.com
  • PokerSpider
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nice with feedback..Tables are never gona even get allowed on my site.....Colour scheme is to avoid from about 8.000.000 white pages on the http://www...:)the menu will get changes.....and the spelling/etc is to be improved..(though most of it is pasted inn from affiliate typing and they write all text in english,please provide me with the biggest errors if you saw a big one)
Thanx a millon:)By the way,,,,check out my site before i stated learning css. http://myhome-yo.com from wich much of the replies here is based on..97%.My new site is coded by my self,so i know about css:)

Poker spider....
and: Strange this.....many of webmasters i speak to freaks out on a colour schemed site...All my friends,and all the non coders i speak to says that my site is good BECAUSE of the colours:) they like that pages kinda don't be like all others:) I will try to folow the "flow"
(this message has been edited because i think it was wrong the way i first wrote:)

Pokerspider
  • PokerSpider
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

trtrt
  • PokerSpider
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

PokerSpider wrote:
Hi folks.

I have changed looks/layout on http://www.3wpoker.com/ Its not all filled with to much content yet but thats why i wanted to ask if someone here at ozzu can check out my css coding(writing) and in general the coding of my new site,before i go on with the content(more appealing colors will be added to make it a bit more attractive)
the pages are all coded by my self now, taking tips and hints from what i have learned about creating a none table layout and making my site "search engine friendly".

Questions:
1- Is my coding fairly ok.
2- is the way i float the elements and in general use of boxes,columns ok?
3-Can some one with a mac test my site on their mac and give feedback/corrections?
4-Is there codes in my css that is not needed ore might/need to be altered/changed?
-what have i done completely wrong and what have i done ok?
-in use of "ems" compared to use of pixels,,what i'm i doing wrong ore right?

In general:
-Feel free to tell me what you think about my first really "self coded" pages.
-Give me tips and hints if you got some :)
-i'm i now, in your opinion, on the right path in my learning curve?(leaning strict to css)
-on the design i need some more "action", if you got a good source for some nice tools/content i could use, i will be glad to hear about it.(i search a lot but not all is found yet:)
- i have checked the source code and it walidates both the css and the xhtml 1.1......But having it validated doesn't mean that its ok for me...css can be used in so many ways i have learned so far.I could for example give my "sidebar" a option to have 100% width with 1em padding on each side, when i tested, it was working in all browsers i test with, buth with some small font-size change only,,,but it might not be the way to do it.
I realy am trying to find a good way to split up my content but,,,css gives you a lot of power but its damn irritating how one thing can effect the other, if its not all floated/fixed/positioned etc in the right manner!In this area i am interested in all possible tips and how2do stuff....

A long text this, and with my writing it`s maybe not readable, but i hope u get some idea of what i'm asking for in this post.

Thanx for helping if you got the time
pokerspider
http://www.3wpoker.com
I have provided my css below
  • PokerSpider
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi.I have totaly changed looks again, but now i think i`ve settled with it:)
http://3wpoker.com
But i'm trying to make/find a nice banner that really helps me create a ok look for the site.I have searched a lot and tried a lot but none of them have been any good i think.I need to have something with cards-etc, but any suggestion on how my banner should be, is welcome:).So if someone got a good tip on a banner creator that don't "rip of my wallet" please post a reply on it.

I would be glad for a feedback on the new look also.
http://www.cssplay.co.uk/menus/ has helped me a lot on the content and the methods used to get the curved edges:)(thanx stu)
A lot is a mess in the code yet, but i will trim it in the coming days.any tip is welcome.
p.s.Try resizing it and see how it works,,Please let me know if you find any errors that i might need to correct that i'm not aware of!
thanx for helping
pokerspider
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 38 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers