SITE REVIEW: Localchurchfinder.co.uk

• noway
  • Loc: uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.localchurchfinder.co.uk

im looking for honest, constructive views on this site.
your suggestions would be very welcome.
thnx in advance.[/url]
  • Bozebo
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: 404

Post 3+ Months Ago

its good but theres one thing i hate, there is a "trick" advert at the bottom that pretends to be a drop down box...
add some right-padding to the right sidebar

Overall its very good
  • amibrokerfan
  • Born
  • Born
  • amibrokerfan

Post 3+ Months Ago

Good site but a little too much white for me, how about some color?

good job.
  • Benat
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Um, Ok I suppose this is not meant to happen, but your mysql database is having an error -

Quote:
Warning: mysql_query() [function.mysql-query]: Access denied for user 'localchu'@'localhost' (using password: NO) in /home/localchu/public_html/php/functions/mysql_query.php on line 31

Warning: mysql_query() [function.mysql-query]: A link to the server could not be established in /home/localchu/public_html/php/functions/mysql_query.php on line 31

Warning: mysql_query() [function.mysql-query]: Access denied for user 'localchu'@'localhost' (using password: NO) in /home/localchu/public_html/php/functions/mysql_query.php on line 31

Warning: mysql_query() [function.mysql-query]: A link to the server could not be established in /home/localchu/public_html/php/functions/mysql_query.php on line 31
  • noway

Post 3+ Months Ago

thnx for your comments, i have agonised over the colour thing, i cant commit myself at the moment.
most of these kind of sites are quite 'gaudy' in my opinion so i was going for a 'fresh' look.

bozebo; the statsad thing has gone now.....

amibrokerfan; colour? ggggrrrrrr. I cant do it! lol

benat; error now fixed, that was me working probably...
  • Confemo
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Confemo

Post 3+ Months Ago

Good job on the liquid layout... however you might consider setting a fixed width for the left nav. On higher resolutions there is a lot of white space between where the links end and the end of the left column.

Also, you could probably do away with the extra 25 "Your link here?" links. It gives the impression that the site is still under construction and they are just filler links.
  • Bozebo
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeh... that is actually quite amazing.. i find it impossible to make 3 column liquid layouts, without tables
  • Confemo
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Confemo

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol No... It just takes ALOT of patience.

Learning CSS is extremely frustrating because it seems like nothing works the way it should. It just takes time to learn all the little tricks and the ins and outs of using it.

Luckily for me, when I started designing sites I learned CSS from the start. I never got to experience the joys of designing with tables (sarcastic lol).
  • Bozebo
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wow. Thats lucky.
  • lioness
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bozebo wrote:
Yeh... that is actually quite amazing.. i find it impossible to make 3 column liquid layouts, without tables

Really? Why don't you show us what you were doing over in the Programming Forum, and we'll set you straight 8)
  • Bozebo
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

i have only tried about 3 times... and that was a while back so i don't really "have" what i am doing, but i suppose i will try again, a bit busy today though. 11th
  • roje0913
  • Student
  • Student
  • roje0913

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like the site, wish it was a bit more colorfull. I also think you should have a way to enter a testimony on that page, or at least an email address. I dont know how it would effect your server space, but you could also allow for a picture of the churches to be uploaded. It may be also usefull to allow for mil radius searches by zip code. Great resource overall!
  • noway

Post 3+ Months Ago

roje0913 wrote:
I like the site, wish it was a bit more colorfull. I also think you should have a way to enter a testimony on that page, or at least an email address. I dont know how it would effect your server space, but you could also allow for a picture of the churches to be uploaded. It may be also usefull to allow for mil radius searches by zip code. Great resource overall!

thnx everyone for your comments.

the database for the resourse is quite small at the moment, new entries are being added-registered members can add a pic of their Church.
some entries allready have pic uploaded.

all comments and suggestions taken on board and much appreciated.
thank you.
  • x-013
  • x-013
  • Loc: Reno

Post 3+ Months Ago

It looks too simple for me, and no design work at all.
  • Perad
  • Student
  • Student
  • Perad

Post 3+ Months Ago

Add some color, currently its a nice functional site but its boring and i think you will struggle to retain users with the current design.
  • sazn
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'd have to agree with the two guys above. Not much design work at all. It's pretty dull in it's current state, certainly needs more colour. By all means keep the site's primary colour as white but it's needs some dashes of colour here and there. For example links, bullet points, headers etc. Funk it up a bit.

edit..one other thing, why do you have the same favicon as this site? http://www.motionrise.com by http://www.ozzu.com/website-reviews/site-review-please-review-http-www-motionrise-com-t59361.html
  • joanne_r
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • joanne_r

Post 3+ Months Ago

I agree with the other comments that it is too white and boring, why don't you add some colour to the flowers, maybe purple and add a few more splashes of colour elsewhere. It doesn't have to be gawdy just something to catch the eye a bit more. Quite a good site otherwise.
  • tylerdurden
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

For starters, your "register a church" page has over 512 warnings.
  • sazn
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wow, that's crazy! congrats noway, i think you've got the world record! The code seems like a "copy/paste any old crap from all over the place and stick it all together" kinda job.
  • noway

Post 3+ Months Ago

sazn wrote:
I'd have to agree with the two guys above. Not much design work at all. It's pretty dull in it's current state, certainly needs more colour. By all means keep the site's primary colour as white but it's needs some dashes of colour here and there. For example links, bullet points, headers etc. Funk it up a bit.

edit..one other thing, why do you have the same favicon as this site? http://www.motionrise.com by http://www.ozzu.com/website-reviews/site-review-please-review-http-www-motionrise-com-t59361.html

thnx for ur comments good suggestions, im gonna make some changes.
i gotts admit tho you lost me on the favicon thing, im not following you there?
  • noway

Post 3+ Months Ago

tylerdurden wrote:
For starters, your "register a church" page has over 512 warnings.

?
  • noway

Post 3+ Months Ago

sazn wrote:
Wow, that's crazy! congrats noway, i think you've got the world record! The code seems like a "copy/paste any old crap from all over the place and stick it all together" kinda job.

you really lost me this time?
  • intiendes
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • intiendes

Post 3+ Months Ago

i hoe you'd change your favicon into something that could symbolize your site ...

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 23 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers