SITE REVIEW: locked

• barry
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

hi every body im new to this forum and would love to have some feedback about my web site
i am trying to start a web design company after working in the building industry for 15 years ( i hate it by the way)

any reviews to my site are welcome by all and a link exchange would be much apreciated

hope to hear from alot of you soon

webmasters i have a forum on my site too so i would be very happy if you could go over there and start a few threads or maybe post to the ones i have started t
hanks and
thanks again
:lol:

barry mitchell
http://www.barryswebdesign.co.uk
why do they call me a computer freek ? :arrow
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• the_Maven
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • the_Maven

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok bro, You had the potential for having a decent layout, but I saw a few problems (I am viewing your site with firefox):

1) the grey text on the blue background is rather hard on the eyes.

2) you have subheader title text the same color as the background (I only found it by highlighting all the text with my mouse (which made it easier to read))

3) I am just not feeling the LINKS IN ALL CAPITAL LETTERS at the bottom of the page. That is a definite no-go in web design.

4) By the way, you spelled support as suppot.

5) Professional sites aren't known for having counters ... why do you have one again?

6) At the very bottom of the page there is some more invisible text (it's white)

7) I can see why you have some of your clients in the middle of the page, but there is a way to get the images lined up. it looks like you used the float attribute in your style sheet.

8) Scratch that last sentence ... You need a style sheet dude. It would work wonders for your site.

9) I don't think the mouseover effect with the images is very impressive.

10) You created this with fireworks, didn't you? I could tell by looking at the code.

I don't have the time to thoroughly review the other pages, but I did look at them, so I will make a short summary of that starting with

11) You need to take the last modified script off your pages ... it gets that information from the system clock and puts that there everytime the page is reloaded. your links are different colors, they could be organized better. there is a paragraph with the first line indented a mile in. why do you have a yahoo search text box in the middle of the page?

you do show some promise though with the flash site. if it was me, i would stick to that and trash the html one. is the size of it relative to the user's screen resolution or is it only for 1024 by 768?

on the home page, i would recommend putting some text in the lower section (with the zippy blue lines) to fill up the dead space.
question: what is the streaming box i see in the lower corner?

the link hover effect is a lot better, so way to go with that. you should make it so the text next to the pyramid is part of the link too.

i like the content section on the design page. put something like that on the home page with some text and you'll have that fixed.

as for the contact thing, i would look into using php with flash and putting a form right on the page.

your forte is more along flash design so i would stick with that, opposed to html.

i hope this helps.
  • daremedy
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • daremedy

Post 3+ Months Ago

the_Maven's review goes quadrouple for me! Barry, I know you're new to web design and all, and thats fine, but your obvious disregard for making text visible to the human eye is just terrible. I was wondering why the heck you kept on leaving drastic gaps between your paragraphs, then I highlighted the text from the bottom up only to find crap like
Quote:
dundee, website designer from the city of dundee scotland web design, scotland,web designers, logo designers, graphic designer, web design, online advertising,media

dundee, website designer from the city of dundee scotland web design, scotland,web designers, logo designers, graphic designer, web design, online advertising,media

What the hell is that? Thats possibly the most unprofessional thing I've ever seen from a person offering web design services. Clean up your page, really really clean it up. Apart from that, your actual design is very black and white, you could do with some styles and more content definition. Content definition meaning, for example, there's nothing separating your menu from the content below it, it looks like one big blob of text. And in keeping with the menu, and header in general, work on it. It looks like you just plopped a menu onto an random image (why a bridge?). And the barry's web design looks like it just comes out of nowhere. I wont even start on the text above the header.

I apologize if I'm coming off like an ass here, but your site really is in need of some professionalism. I mean just glancing at your other pages, it looks like you tried to put this all together in a couple days. There's a "." out of nowhere on your contact page, an ugly looking image on your services page, a "back to top" link on your domain names page when you dont even require one, and sentences like "FREE links to your page join my free links page" which obviously make no sense. On top of everything else, you've disabled right click. Why? What do you think thats protecting? Thats one feature that really bugs the hell out of me. But thats my issue. Anyway, work on this site some more and let us know when you think its ready to be reviewed again. As it stands, the site needs a lot of work.
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce
  • Loc: Washington DC

Post 3+ Months Ago

The text is hard to read.
The "hidden" text is very tacky.
The site is pretty plain. Could really use some more graphics.
The graphical 3d logo you have in your services page looks like a 3rd grader got ahold of Bryce. Not professional at all.
There is not really any format to your site. It is a lot of content that is spread about a big blue rectangle with hard to read text that doesn't do a very good job making sure the viewer is comfortable with this transaction or even wants to do it.

The flash site is not professional looking at all and the colors don't match. Pick 2 colors and either white, gray, or black and stick to those colors.

Try to go for a cleaner look that guides the users mind, eyes, and desire.
  • Dubya
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

the_Maven said everything so beutifully, I don't think he missed one thing. I think I know what he's trying to do with the hidden text. It's probably for search engine optimization, but I think I've heard something about that hurting your rating. I'd get rid of it if I were you, as it does little more to annoy me. And if you leave the text gray, you'll have a lot of people complaining about this same problem. Cause they'll all be selecting your text to read what it says, if they don't leave first.
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I havnt really taken the time to read previous reviews so sorry if i am repeating what others say.

If i was to be honest with you, i am not very keen on your domain name. The domain name is pretty straight forward but dosnt really show any professionalism. When i first saw the domain adress i thought this was going to be a pretty basic individual site. As in, your not a company as such.

There are some spelling and grammer mistakes on some of the largly spaced paragraphs. Here is one i noticed "internet as a place were only the" (first paragraph). The paragraphs are really spaced out, this is odd. I dont know if you are just trying to use as much space as possible to maybe perhaps make the site look more complete. You should change the paragraphs to the standard settings where they woudl appear pretty compact and tidy. Try and justify them if you can as well.

The white font on the blue background is pretty awkward to read. Its uncomfortable on the eyes and i suggest you either change the background colour to a darker blue or maybe add a really dark blue or even black as the new font colour.

I am not convinced that the logo should be like it is. It dosnt really have anything to do with web design. If it does then i dont see it. The type of text on the "barrys web design" on the logo looks really good. If you made that font a bit bigger and spread it half way across the site then i think it would look better, depends on how you arrange it. The logo has to be bigger and stand out a bit more, IMO.

On your "links to us" page the first link you have is to your site. You are selling your service on Ebay which i suppose isnt a bad idea. Along side the link you have the text "get it cheeper" which shows probably the biggest bit of unprofessionalism. The spelling is either poor or you are trying to target a certain audience. My guess is that would appear to somebody from early years of highschool who hasnt got a clue about webdesign and who most likely wont have $150 to spend.

Sorry if this is seen as being a bit too harsh. You asked for reviews.
  • barry
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok thanks for all the tips people i think ill start over again
if you dudes can help ide be well happy to listen to all you have to say but please keep it shorter nex time
  • barry
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

o and dubya i did try to hide the text for search engines but i checked the wieght of it and it seamed fine but like i say i am going to re asses the entire structure of my site so in the end and the long run it did work as i am no in the google index but i do have alot to learn i know .. i have been making site for about 1 1/2 years so compared to all you pros i am a total noob .. but like i say i will take all your comments and use them to make me a better designer in the long ruin so thanks for the constructive critisism
  • barry
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

oh some thing more to add for maven
the text at the top n bottm are visible to me
and when i test my site on other pc's it is still visible there
maybe its because i have a flat panel monitor and havent seen it on a normal one
i did add alot of fake text to the index page but like i said before it was purely to get a lisitng on google
i must be doing something correctly because on the yahoo search i get a consistant listing of around positiion 5 for the terms "dundee web designers " .. were im from.. i ahve tested this on alot of other peoples comps just to see if yahoo or my comp is saving what i do and just showing me what i want to see .. so like i say im open to critisism .. thats why i came here i knew the wolves would be out n i stink ov fresh meat
  • Dubya
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

barry wrote:
oh some thing more to add for maven
the text at the top n bottm are visible to me
and when i test my site on other pc's it is still visible there
maybe its because i have a flat panel monitor and havent seen it on a normal one
i did add alot of fake text to the index page but like i said before it was purely to get a lisitng on google
i must be doing something correctly because on the yahoo search i get a consistant listing of around positiion 5 for the terms "dundee web designers " .. were im from.. i ahve tested this on alot of other peoples comps just to see if yahoo or my comp is saving what i do and just showing me what i want to see .. so like i say im open to critisism .. thats why i came here i knew the wolves would be out n i stink ov fresh meat

It's probably because either your monitor or more likely your video card is set to 256 colors.
  • alerik
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: People Republic of China

Post 3+ Months Ago

Very nice site. Why dont you try to make the background color stand out a litle more with the text?
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

barry wrote:
compared to all you pros i am a total noob ..

I have still to figure out what a noob is but i understand the definition. For the record, my web design skills are pretty poor. I did a couple of sites and asked for them to be reviewed and i got some bad criticism purely because i went and got a free template rather than paying or creating one of my own.

I dont think anybody on this site because good webmasters overnight. Just keep at it and the more you work on it the better you will get.
  • glenglen66
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: UK - London

Post 3+ Months Ago

I agree on the counter thing i use http://www.statcounter.com which is hidden and shows some useful information. I think once the site is up and running the counter issue is not so important what’s more important is where the hits are coming from and the stat counter does this for you.
  • barry
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

hello every one
i have updated my site to its new found glory taking into consideration every bit of advice you people have given over the last 2 weeks . i think.. so here goes again

have a new look at http://www.barryswebdesign.co.uk
  • daremedy
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • daremedy

Post 3+ Months Ago

There's still a lot of improvements needed.

For starters, your page isnt scalable (it doesnt adapt to different screen resolutions) and I'm getting the horizontal scroll bars at 1024x768.

You should capitalize the 'D' is Design on your header. Looks unprofessional the way you have it. Plus your background looks like a haunted forrest and a scene out of a horror movie. If you ever saw the movie "The Ring", it reminded me of that. Not a good thing.

2d + 3d out of nowhere. What does it all mean? Are you trying to add those two values? The animation you have below should be enough if you're trying to explain that you offer 2d and 3d logo images, even though nowhere on your page do I see good examples of either style nor does your own logo reflect any experience in building professional logo's.

What the heck are those 2 box corner things? Why are they links?

The design itself is very weak. Especially the white box for the content. You're a website designer, you need a wow factor. I havent seen anything out of the box. Your menu looks good though.

Your footer is very out of place and random. Whats with the big gap between contact and links? And what is "Web Design UK |2d + 3d|". Is that your site? I thought it was just Web Design UK. Plus you need to link the Web Design UK part, to add some professionalism, as well as maybe add Copyright or All Right Reserved, instead of that math formula |2d + 3d|.

Looking at your design page and the images you have displayed, I wouldnt hire you. Those images you have on display look like something a person learning photoshop would make.

Can I ask you something? The sites you have in your "folio" (maybe change this to portfolio, as thats what its called), did you actually design those? Because there's some sense of professionalism to those sites which you lack on your own site. I'm almost convinced you had nothing to do with those sites from what I've seen on yours.

Your contact page looks unprofessional mostly because some lines start with capitol letters while other dont. Why is name not capitolized while Email is?

At this risk of writing a novel, just continue working on professionalism. You're no where near it yet. Pardon my brutal honesty.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am agreeing with Daremedy about the boxes being links, i dont see the point.

I notice you havnt really acted apon the spelling mistakes on the main page...

Quote:
Most people see the internet as a place were* only the brave company's

*where

This mistake is repeated on a few other paragraphs as well. Just below this spelling mistake on the main page you have a paragraph with the words "You may think you will have to pay an arm and maybe a leg or two to get a web site designed", this dosnt really make sense. I can see where you are coming from when you say it, but the humour you are using might not really be understood properly. It all depends on how big you want this site to be, but i think if you want to go quite far and be quite a sucessful web designer in Scotland, or even the UK, then i think you should maybe cut down on some of the poor humour and maybe make it a bit more formal and user friendly.

Apart from that, i really do see an improvement. The Logo is much better, the animations below it (on main page) i kinda like.

Out of curiosity, what are you charging people? how do people contact you? it dosnt say on your site. Fair enough, you have a contact form, but some people may not notice it and may think its nothing important.
  • Poly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Same place you left me.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Please don't take this the wrong way, but i would be leaving this site as quick as possible, i dislike the colors, i dislike how the image at the top doesn't blend well with the rest of the site, i dislike the the text animation at the top, and the thing i dislike the most is how you have the white space for text area. I would change this to blue with a box around it or something, and then use white or really light grey. Also i would make the contact us a little more "visible".
  • darkermoon
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Riverdale, MD

Post 3+ Months Ago

My comments would be that the navigation on the bottom isn't even evenly spaced.. what's with that dude? There's still a semi-hidden "web design uk" at the top left.. don't know why that's there. Take the http://www.barryswebdesign.co.uk/3dlogo.jpg image off completely, it is the absolute worst render I have ever seen.. it just needs to go. The image to the left of it isn't really helping either. The flying letter stuff at the top.. is one of the tackiest things I see on websites when not used correctly. I think that's swish or swift or something.. not impressive.
Quote:
I can also set up web space for you with a starting price of around £40 for 10 meg of space.
are you kidding me? That better not be per month. Quite honestly, I think for what you're doing your prices (although low) are way too high. I could do better with 5 minutes and frontpage and some flash templates. No, I don't use frontpage, or flash templates. I use Dreamweaver flash and photoshop although I do all the coding by hand.. just use dreamweaver and Zend PHP studio to make it easier to decipher a lot of lines of code.

Lastly, you have some issues with your code. Check http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http% ... n.co.uk%2F
  • Poly
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

darkermoon wrote:
Lastly, you have some issues with your code. Check http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http% ... n.co.uk%2F

just a couple errors, nothing serious. If it were me, i would take this as a learning experience and try completely redoing the site from scratch. Dont think that just because you had trouble with this design that you cant do it though. You dont even want to see any of my first attempts...*has a flash back and goes in to seizure WOW those were bad *shivers.
  • barry
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

no problem man i like honest people and i am improving my site every day .
  • barry
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

erm well yes i did design all those sites in my "folio"
the thing is i designed my site to get listed on the search engines and i have kinda lacked in design spirit for my own site.. sad i know but i redesign my own site often and as i am basically trying to improve my listings on google

i am listed in the first page in mostly all other search engines not associated with google for the search term "web design in dundee " and some other similar search terms

i have changed all the pages headers .. cant believe i didn't put in a capital D . i also noticed the scroller al the bottom and i now know why this is happening .. i never noticed it before although the items on the page do move around to fit in 800 x 600 screen res i make mostly all my sites to do this

any way thanks for the criticism again and i will improve all the aspects you have pointed out

thanks again

o can you post an addy for me to have a look at your work

thanks
  • Poly
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

barry wrote:
no problem man i like honest people and i am improving my site every day .

Im glad you see it this way, some people who post to have their site reviewed, after getting this kind of response just stop posting. Im glad to see you took it the right way. I admit i got this kind of response on several of the sites i have done. You just need to take it as constructive, and make changes in the way you have done your desings, and keep improving. Ill get a portfolio ready soon. Been pretty tied up with a coupole projects right now, so my personal site has suffered a little bit.
  • barry
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

the thing is man i dont know you and the people who do know me always tell me that my site is cool and well done but a third party point of view is specificly the reason i sgned up in this forum so keep up the good work and hope to here from you all soon

• SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have just had a look at the site now and found your introduction very impressive! The wording just seems alot more professional and it now has the feel of a professional web designer, previously your intro seemed very basic and unproffesional.

I dont understand this...

Design page wrote:
While the information you place on your site will describe exactly what you have to offer, if no one visits your site then there is no point having a site.

Maybe its the way it was worded, but it seems as though thats quite a negative and defeatest attitude to work. Perhaps my brain isnt processing this properly.

Can you actually "guarantee" placing somebody's website on the first page of main search engines? Thats quite a commitment you have made and maybe at some point you should put evidence to support this. Just a thought. You dont want people who have paid for your services to email/call you asking for a refund because you have failed to perform.
  • barry
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

well the thing is with the guarantee if you goto mostly any search engine and type in "wheelie bin cleaning in dundee" wheelie-clean.com is always in the first page
and if you type in "barry's web design dundee" my old site is still listed almost first in yahoo
I know these are very specific search terms but they do work on goolge and yahoo
It took me ages to get on google but i was optimizing my sites wrong

you type in "barry mitchell dundee" into yahoo im in the first page always (my pwp site is still there from before i bought my new web space)

i have tried this on a few other peoples pc's (just because i thought that my pc was caching the results) and it always works so now that i have these sites listed in the first pages for those specific keywords i can guarantee over the period of around 2 months i will have a brand new made site listed in the first page due to good linking and good optimization.

i hope :shock:

some more improvements here too

oh and who ever slagged me about the WC3 i have fixed every page to comply with html 4.01 although the page you redirected me to says otherwise i have tools for checking and i also checked it with a few other pages and the things that are wrong are trivial like for instance coding done before year 99 didn't incorporate action script 2 for flash and the WC3 site docent recognize it also if you view anything with action script 2 for flash your browser will auto download the relevant files and problem sorted

hope this sorts your curiosity out and thanks to every one again for your criticism because although my site might not be super cool it is fully sorted out and i will be adding some really cool stuff soon its just that i have to make it first and i have a full site to make first so it will be soon so come back soon

have a look here
put in my url

http://www.htmlvalidator.com/

thanks and good night
  • Poly
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey Barry, this is much much better. It still could use a few improvements, but this is alot better and much more professional than the last one. The next thing i would try would be some graphics. I think one other thing i would try would be a lighter blue, and then try adding graphics. I think this would look a little better. But in the end its all up to you and what you like bro.
  • barry
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks to every one who has took my site by the nutts
i have got a whole new out look on my site now .. i never used to really check the code for mistakes i just ran it through the check apps and hoped for the best but now its much better and easyer .. i will apply some cool graphics but i have a site to make for my brother just now so maybe next week

so hope to hear from you all again soon

cool

• Poly
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

one tiny thing you might want to fix real quick is the text links at the bottom of the site. they are not evenly spaced. Other than that this is looking great. Add a few graphics when you get time and it will look very professional.
  • davidaus
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • davidaus
  • Loc: Indo

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think you should change the text. It is too contrast.. The white color is hurting people eyes
  • MichaelJM
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • MichaelJM

Post 3+ Months Ago

Site looks alright, Looks like the hole thing is made up with two tables and i see that the header text has overlapped the header image.

1. You might want to move the text down and the the right a bit
2. The text color is way to dark, Try using off white.

Good luck with your biz mate! :wink:
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 31 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers