SITE REVIEW: LogoLookup

• NetzzJD
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • NetzzJD
  • Loc: Texas, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello All,
I have been working on a new site for some time and am now ready to release it to the masses. Consider this a beta test for the site.

The site is a logo database with random corporate logos displayed. It is meant to be a forum of discussion about the design of the logos. It allows users to rate and comment on all the logos and in the future, add their own.

This is also my first attempt at a php/mysql driven site from scratch. So I'd like to know of any bugs or logic errors you may encounter during your visit.

I'm not really concerned with the design of the site since I wanted to keep it simple with lots of user interaction. I would like your opinions of the legality of the site though. I have posted before about the use of other companies logos but am not sure how this site would rank on the "sue me now" scale. I am not making any money from the site and have multiple disclaimer statements but still doubt this has any effect.

Thanks for the reviews,
http://www.netzzjd.com/logo
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Cold Canuck
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Michigan, U.S. of eh

Post 3+ Months Ago

The defense of "I'm not making any money off this" won't save you from legal troubles, but may lower the fines, if any are levied..

Using someone else's trademarked images without permission, for reviews sake, I believe, is allowed under the fair use clause, but the use of so many trademarked images will likely get you into deep fecal matter.

But...to reduce the risk of a lawsuit (regardless of who would win) and play it safe, ask a copyright lawyer for their opinion.

C.C.
  • orcrist
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

why dont you just have users upload their designs on given subject, some mockup company that needs a logo, asap. organize contest and open discusions on submited designs
  • fit
  • Born
  • Born
  • fit

Post 3+ Months Ago

Too simple. Looks like some amater work !
Change the colour of the footer menu !
  • yenerich
  • Student
  • Student
  • yenerich

Post 3+ Months Ago

When try to go to random logo i get some mysql errors and then be redirected to login page, but first errors displays in the page.
  • RallyDSM
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • RallyDSM
  • Loc: PNW

Post 3+ Months Ago

I disagree with the Trademark post above... I think that if done tastefully, the "review" of the trademarks and logos can only INCREASE traffic to the mark holders. I would, however, make sure to LINK said trademarks and logos to their perspective owners.

Beyond that, great idea and it looks like the site it coming together but yet still somehow "unfinished".

Best,

RD
  • WebFreedom
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • WebFreedom

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi NetzzJD,

I agree that your website has somewhat of a "simplistic" look - you should add more content, topics of interest for your visitors, and perhaps review the Website Design forums here for ideas on polishing up the look.

Regarding protecting yourself legally, I would DEFINITELY contact a copyright attorney - this is the only person who can provide expert counsel on what you need to do to protect yourself. And, based on the size and scope of the companies whose logos you're displaying, I think you should make sure you're protected. :wink:

Finally, I think you've come upon a very unique idea, and one with very little competition. If you find that there's a demand for it, you could probably monetize the site and make a pretty penny. :D

HTH,
Sam
  • NetzzJD
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • NetzzJD
  • Loc: Texas, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey guys,
Thanks for the comments. Ill need to look into the copyright issue further apparently, so new logos will be suspended for now. And I recently discovered Wikipedias claim on logos and copyrights that they use; they state
Quote:
This is a logo of a corporation, sports team, or other organization, and is protected by copyright and/or trademark. It is believed that the use of low-resolution images of logos

* to illustrate the corporation, sports team, or organization in question
* on the English-language Wikipedia, hosted on servers in the United States by the non-profit Wikimedia Foundation,

qualifies as fair use under United States copyright law. Any other uses of this image, on Wikipedia or elsewhere, may be copyright infringement. Certain commercial use of this image may also be trademark infringement. See Wikipedia:Fair use and Wikipedia:Logos.

Use of the logo here does not imply endorsement of the organization by Wikipedia or the Wikimedia Foundation, nor does it imply endorsement of Wikipedia or the Wikimedia Foundation by the organization.

To the uploader: please add a detailed fair use rationale for each use, as described on Wikipedia:Image description page, as well as the source of the work and copyright information.

As for the design, I understand it is very basic and simple but thats kinda what i wanted; you know, the google effect.

And I have been working to add new features for the users. I probably released the site too early because it does have that "unfinished" feeling. But most of the interaction lies behind the login, for registered users.
How much of the site should I allow visitors to see? Right now Im just showing thumbnails and categories/types of all the logos. Registered people have the option to rate and post comments about logos, see larger images, and get their own section showing stats about the users activity on the site.

WebFreedom, im not at all interested in "making a pretty penny" but thanks for the comments. Ive just always liked the design of old and new logos and the thoughts behind them. Thought there would be a community also with the same logic who would make up the registered users to help give the site some content.

Again, thx for suggestions and I will be continually working with the site to improve it, so keep checking back to see the changes.
  • effektz
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • effektz

Post 3+ Months Ago

You should perhaps incorporate more than just big coprorate logos. maybe different sections also, "Fast food" "web 2.0" "technology" to allow users to browse logos
  • fluffysammy
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Isle of wight

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,
I really like the idea of your site, what made you come up with that as a site idea?
I also as said befor think it needs lot more content aswell as the logos. maybe you could run a competition where people submit there own logos and at then people can vote on them or you pick a winner at end of year and they win pc game or box of chocs ?
Really good site in the making, well done!

sammy xx
  • Oliver
  • Oliver

Post 3+ Months Ago

Tosimple for my liking looks like a frontpage table job. There isnt alot of content you have about 350 logos out of millions of logos accross the world.

I dont really like the colours (grey and orange)

Theres to much white on the page try and jazz it up a little bit mabye it will intise more people to go on it and look around rather than just close it which i felt like doing

:evil:
  • extremecash121276
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Agawam Massachusetts

Post 3+ Months Ago

NetzzJD wrote:
Hello All,
I have been working on a new site for some time and am now ready to release it to the masses. Consider this a beta test for the site.

The site is a logo database with random corporate logos displayed. It is meant to be a forum of discussion about the design of the logos. It allows users to rate and comment on all the logos and in the future, add their own.

This is also my first attempt at a php/mysql driven site from scratch. So I'd like to know of any bugs or logic errors you may encounter during your visit.

I'm not really concerned with the design of the site since I wanted to keep it simple with lots of user interaction. I would like your opinions of the legality of the site though. I have posted before about the use of other companies logos but am not sure how this site would rank on the "sue me now" scale. I am not making any money from the site and have multiple disclaimer statements but still doubt this has any effect.

Thanks for the reviews,
http://www.netzzjd.com/logo

Alright, I think it's very innocent and freely spoken and they should probably pay you if you obtain a lot of traffic from this. Basically your advertising for them!! So long as the logo's cannot be copied from the actual site or altered in any way, I don't see any issue what so ever....I'm anxious to submit my logo for review! I have registered....but can't login?

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 12 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers