SITE REVIEW: LorinNicole.com

• lorinnicole

Post 3+ Months Ago

This is my online portfolio, the 2nd website I ever did. I still have so much work to do on it, but I was just wondering if you guys could let me know what you think. Thanks!
http://www.lorinnicole.com
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Breeze
  • Photographer
  • Guru
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

First of all this is pretty good for your second. I like the layout but you may want to give the colours a bit more oomph (if you know what I mean). Perhaps rollover effects on the links on the right hand side...

Your forums don't really match the rest of your website... if your host has PHP and MySQL installed on their server you should look into PHP-BB forums or something like them which you can customize...
  • lorinnicole

Post 3+ Months Ago

yea, i know. the forum isn't even being used....i basically put it there just to have one, I'm going to change it, the background for it is actually my youtube background, i just didn't feel like making one yet. but thanks for the critique. - totally agree on the color thing, just haven't gotten around to it yet, because I'm someone that if I change one thing, I end up changing everything...lol
  • Prime
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Liverpool

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey,

I'm assuming you used some sort of generator to create this website :?: else, for a '2nd attempt' it's got to be one of the best i've seen.

If you want to improve on the code remove the table on the home page and replace it with pure CSS. You could also add a few more meta tags so search engines can index it correctly and change the page title from the domain name, it's not good for SEO. If you type your name into google your website will appear at the very top :D but the listing itself is a bit iffy and has a heading of "index" :roll:

On different matters, your profile is written in the 3rd party :?::?: what's that all about :?: :roll: ... just think it reads a bit funny...

Anyway, good luck.

Cheers, Prime ... :D

PS> Completely agree with Breeze, change your forum to a themed phpBB.
  • lorinnicole

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't know what you mean by generators, and I really don't know how to do css yet. what's SEO mean? lol as you can see I don't "know" very much about web site building. Its really hard being a stay at home mom trying to learn how to do it all on your own, so everything I do is pretty basic for now. But I think I've come pretty far since I just started learning in january.

and yea, sometimes I talk about myself in the 3rd person....lol....I don't know why

but thank you very much for the critique, you also reminded me to change my heading from "index"....i keep forgetting to do that...lol
  • Breeze
  • Photographer
  • Guru
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

SEO is Search Engine Optimization - basically making your website more prominent in search results.

CSS is really simple, and you can find good tutorials about it here. If you already know basic HTML then you should be able to pick this up pretty quickly.

Generators are things where you put in your content and/or suggested design and it automatically gives you the correct code for it or even the page itself.
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would just add that there are 3 w3c validation errors on your page ... click here to see them ..

and I would suggest that you remove the link of the page that a visitor is on, for example if I am on "home" then that link could be in another colour and disabled so that a user doesn't ever redirect to the page that he/she is on at the moment
  • Cheshire_cat
  • Born
  • Born
  • Cheshire_cat

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like the colors- the layout is ok.
-cheers

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers