• Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Mas Sehguh
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Do you hate people who have images turned off? Probably not. So put meaningful alt attributes on your images.

Your "site map" is totally empty.

Other than that, the navigation seems very clear, you use standard link colors, and the text is resizable in IE. I rarely see such a high amount of common sense.
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce
  • Loc: Washington DC

Post 3+ Months Ago

The site is way long. I would try shortening it up a bit and maybe making the categories a little more compact. Also, I would take out that massive ugly banner ad you have on the left side because you look like a spam site that has no useful content because of it.
  • mr_darek
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Truce wrote:
The site is way long. I would try shortening it up a bit and maybe making the categories a little more compact. Also, I would take out that massive ugly banner ad you have on the left side because you look like a spam site that has no useful content because of it.

Agreed, a more well thought out layout needs to be developed here to better organize the information your displaying.
  • Mas Sehguh
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, I wouldn't put the ad at the top left. People scan from the top left, and if the first thing they see is an advertisement, that'll denigrate your site.
  • spintwo
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • spintwo

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your site doesn't seem to have any structure. Every link is under the other, and a linear progression downwards. You have no horizontal elements in your entire website. Make use of some tables or other organizing/formatting tools.

3/10
  • jleane
  • jleane

Post 3+ Months Ago

3/10 eh? Ouch!

Truce and Sam, point taken about the ads.
  • spintwo
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • spintwo

Post 3+ Months Ago

You could bring it up to around a 8/10 if you made use of some tables, or just got rid of the center column and replaced it with a welcome page of some sort; you already have all the links on the right don't you?

I think some graphics to spice it up would help tremendously also; something to keep the viewer's attention.
  • jleane
  • jleane

Post 3+ Months Ago

The site does actually use tables, what exactly do you mean?
Re the graphics, I have intentionally kept it pretty plain to keep down load times. My pages should only take a few seconds to load even if you're on dialup and the site is hosted in Australia.
  • Dubya
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Three words. Cascading Style Sheets. They could prove useful here. Everyone else is trying to be nice, but I'm going to be honest with you so you can learn and get better. All centered text like something I would have expected to see in the 90's. You could really improve your entire site if you just learned a little CSS. You don't neccessarilly need to get rid of your table structure, but just improve the look of it with CSS. I saw only one line on the entire page that used CSS, and that was the top "Hello, and welcome to Love Poem .com.au." Anyways, I don't mean to sound harsh, but please learn some CSS. When you do, you'll realize what I'm talking about and you'll thank me. Well, I hope this review is helpful.
  • jleane
  • jleane

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi Dubya, any chance of getting some CSS tute linkage?
  • Dubya
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

jleane wrote:
Hi Dubya, any chance of getting some CSS tute linkage?

I didn't really want to turn this review forum into a CSS linkage discussion. Just check out this Thread, and you should find some good tutorials there.
  • ausmeister
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • ausmeister

Post 3+ Months Ago

Go here to view some of the premiere CSS on the web

http://www.csszengarden.com

& check out their resources page for an extensive selction of tutorials, explainations, and justification for learning this very powerful code. (Simple to learn, but SO useful, and time-saving!)
  • egthareal
  • egthareal

Post 3+ Months Ago

Interesting site, I'm not sure if the navigation on the right hand side is part of being abstract and encouraging reform and different ways of looking at things but it was definately the first thing that irritated me. Other than that the layout is simple and effective the text links could perhaps be bolded?
  • sana
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: I am back!!

Post 3+ Months Ago

The contents are good but there is lack of organisation. PLEASE move the navigation bar to the left! and change the banner
  • Snerdey
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Brooklyn, NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ouch, I think that about covers it.

Looks like everyone covered everything. Might want to try a free site checker for typical errors.

Out!
  • jleane
  • jleane

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've swapped the navigation to the left on the main page - does that look better? I'll have to change each page manually because I didnt use CSS - doh! Have been doing some reading on it as suggested and I'm a convert - from now on, all my pages will use CSS...
  • Snerdey
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Brooklyn, NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Looks better!

Well, don't feel too bad. I've been told my site needs css too.

Guess I will start on it myself too.. :?
  • Lord Kai
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Align the buttons to the opposite side it just looks better. You already have the poems under links you should get rid of the ones on the page it just make's it way too long or try using the "list code" to make it look better and more condensed

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 19 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers