SITE REVIEW: MailMask.net

• desertland
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • desertland

Post 3+ Months Ago

MailMask.net is a free service offered to webmasters. It masks their email (with a captcha) to protect them from spam.

The site was not designed for the "advanced user" who knows Perl/PHP and can make their own email protection scheme. It's for the 'more common' webmaster who wants to put their email address on their site, but doesn't want the spam associated with it.

A text-based verification is offered as a method for visually imparied users to use the system.

The email unmasking procedure has been verified using handheld devices (such as the Blackberry), as well as JAWS screenreader.

The service was developed since I was sick of having my email address (that was posted publically on my website) harvested by spam bots, and thus getting spam. Although this isn't a completely fool-proof system, I've found it does a remarkable job protecting my email address. I no longer have to use spamgourmet addreses on my public site and rotate them when they get harvested :)

Link: http://www.MailMask.net

I would appreciate any thoughts, suggestions, or feedback from anyone here - either on the site design, or the concept itself. Thanks for your comments!
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• farmer_Tom
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • farmer_Tom
  • Loc: Oaklahoma

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your site is a great idea for webmasters looking to connect with users. I often tell webmasters to conceal their e-mail because spam bots are ruthless. You provide solid information and a good product, but I would link to some anti-spam sites outside of your network (google: spam protection). Ironically, your 'contact us' button goes to a form rather than an email address. Is it meant to be that way? Either way, I'm bookmarking your site to recommend it to other webmasters out there.
  • desertland
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • desertland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for your feedback. More links to other resources are a good idea - I added an "additional spam resources" link to the Resources section of the website.

As for the "contact us" form, we use a perl script to dynamically sort and organize 'contact us' requests. You're right, it is somewhat ironic :) ...but the purpose of the site is to quickly mask email addresses... the contact us form helps us better deal with large volumes of comments =) We could've put a masked email address up there, but then we'd lose the sorting/organizing functionality we have. hmm... definitely something to think about though. Thanks!

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 3 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers