SITE REVIEW: majikimaje.com

• Majik_Imaje
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Point Hope Alaska

Post 3+ Months Ago

Majik Imaje

My web site is Educational Eskimo lifestyle culture. I am undecided on which layout to use, one that opens quick or something simple with a different layout to keep peoples interest

Your wisdom, critique, opinions and anything else is GREATLY appreciated.

A photographer I am; Web design I am NOT ! I sure need some good ideas.

thanks in advance for your time and wisdom!

SECOND CHOICE
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I say SECOND CHOICE. Its less cluttered and would be better if you make the scripts in the HEAD Sections as external rather than internal. That way, it would be even less cluttered and easy to update.

Although, why are the rest of the pages different than the main page? The main page (I would say) is tad bit too busy and too much text and has some images that run over some text.
  • Majik_Imaje
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks for the information.. Well I am no web designer.. I am barely learning how to mess things up.. (chuckle) but, I am making some progress. all be it mostly in the wrong direction.

My stats have improved, I just want a fast loading page and I am quite ready to do the whole thing over.. perhaps..

so much to do, and so little time, plus other things.

Raising 4 sons by myself .. and so much to learn.. well I will sort it all out.. thanks heaps for taking the time to look and comment.!
  • Kiwipulse
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Kiwipulse
  • Loc: Montreal

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well both are not very organize. I have to turn my head around to read everything lol. My advice to you, well you have a very interesting content but you are lack of webdesign skill..no problem. You should start a blog! I have started a blog last week. You can check at: http://www.kiwipulse.com/

Im using the wordpress script for hosted website. You can download it here: http://wordpress.org/

If you are not familiar with the installation you can up for their hosting blog: http://wordpress.com/

Hope it help :D
  • Majik_Imaje
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have word press installed, A Blog of Ice is the name of my BLOG.. it is still in its infancy.. tring to understand this,

an Online store is about to go live in a few weeks also.. My sons carve with fossili ivory and mastadon ivory and mamoth ivory and they are learning how to make a baleen basket(s).

Everything in that store except the dolls are made by my sons !

Now if I can get a good working web site in order, then that issue will be past and I can concentrate on my photograraphy and upcoming videos of next years whale hunt.
  • Kiwipulse
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Kiwipulse

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you need any help with wordpress, Pm me :D
  • Majik_Imaje
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

I sure appreciate that.. I am tottally lost in that thing.. but slowly I am starting to get the hang of it. I just have to resize all my 800 x 600 images to 450 or smaller.. and then begin my photo essay that is already all over google on 30 different web forums... HIGH in the Arctic Eskimo ! and of course I have to finish posting it here also. but the bad news is my computer died a month ago and all my stuff is on that machine thaat died.. Gotta build me a new puter at the end of the month p erhaps.. so much is going on.. Ivory is coming in.. fossil ivory is being found.. and we gotta head up river to search ourselves.. but thanks for the help with WP .. I will take you up on that.. soon!
  • Majik_Imaje
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok first question.. the default big blue thing that says wordpress blog top center blue.. how do I get rid of that and use my own image or logo or whatever ?
  • Kiwipulse
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Kiwipulse

Post 3+ Months Ago

You can go to your FTP account, and get the file on that path: /wp-content/themes/default/images/kubrickheader.jpg

You can modified the logo with photoshop and replace it.
You can also download free templates here: http://wordpresstemplates.name/

If you need help about wordpress, Codex is your friend :D
http://codex.wordpress.org/Main_Page
  • Majik_Imaje
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks for all that info.. Yeah Ihave a half dozen themes, now to figure out how to structure the thing. and get it going. with some meaningful. Text and subject matter and figure out how to display all the images I want to use.

Thanks for the help ! I sure appreciate it..
  • questmedia
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hmmm...man...this kind of websites were a big hit in the '90. Think of another platform (blog, cms, etc) if you are new to web design. Good luck!
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm really not trying to be rude here, but I don't like one of those ... My advice would be to first draw the website on a piece of paper (what you would like it to look like) and then try and duplicate that, because it just feels like you threw things in there to fill up the page, or as if you weren't sure where you wanted to put everything ...

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 12 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers