SITE REVIEW: marketingmixers.co.uk

• Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Aldershot, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

I helped design Marketing Mixers

We welcome content feedback as well as design.
  • juan
  • Born
  • Born
  • Loc: North Dallas

Post 3+ Months Ago

1. No matter how large I make my browser window, there's an annoying little horizontal scroll bar at the bottom of the screen. I think one of your tables is set to 101% or something.

2. Red, grey, white, blue, orange. 3 of those don't go with one another. Can you guess which ones?

3. Your banner hurts to look at. It's the white on yellow background that you've got. I'd say darker font or a different background.

4. I understand your wanting the URL address to never change by using frames, but it creates a problem when clients or visitors are at your site and want to send a link to someone else. They'll have to send them the base URL and guide them through the clicking process. I wouldn't bother.
  • 613flavah
  • battlestar
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Hurricane...

Post 3+ Months Ago

What exactly is your site about? You need to include a welcome/intro paragraph on the first page smack dab at eye level so viewers may see it. Otherwise, they will leave the site right away. You need to grab their attention, like your site title states, MARKET your site.

I really like your logo but I have no idea what the image has to do with the title..... ?

YOu need to make your "News" TD cells larger, the information right now is very cramped and hard to read.

Your navbar is good but the order of which the items display is wrong. Here are some hints: ABOUT US should be near the top, close to HOME and LINKS should be close to the bottom. Try to work on the others after you've moved those two around. Remember, the order of the items in your navbar should include the most important links near the top (which is close to eye level so it's the first links the viewer sees and you want them to see)

Your "TERMS AND CONDITIONS" page has a different font. Keep your site consistent!

EEK get rid of frames! There are many more effective ways of setting up your content the same way as frames.

Good luck 8)
  • sycofi5h
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • sycofi5h
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

hmm yeah the pink isnt my color but yeah it is apersonal taste, it is well set out and yeah looks good, the google adds well they dotn match the whole site, but yeah i like how everythign is set out int he middle.

-sycofi5h
  • daremedy
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • daremedy

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you can change the color of that google background, you're site improves 50% visually. I also dont like that ad at the top. It cuts across your google ad and causes confusion at the top as well as distorts the overall look of the header, on top of the fact that it looks unprofessional, design-wise.

In your menu, the Home selection must come before all selections, even login/register. I'll comment on your use of frames, dont do it. Why? It eliminates any navigational assistance that you may indirectly be giving to the viewer. If they're not sure where they are on your site and refer to the url for some assistance, they'll see that the url indicates they're at the "index", when in fact, they may be far from it. Frames are fine, but not in this case.

In keeping with navigation, I click to login and go to your forum page. I click to register, and go to a page related to the forums. I click to go to the forums and...... go to your forum page. You have 3 redundant links. Why have 3 links that all lead to the same place? They (obviously) lead to different functions, but if you're going to make login and register different selections, make a unique screen for them, dont try and imbelish them into your forum functionality.

Your news section desperately cries for some organization. You have a loooooooooooooooong scroll to the bottom, of which the articles in between all seem to be randomly chosen. Its fine having a large selection of helpful are insightful articles, but dont expect too many surfers to have enough patience to get past the first scroll of articles if there's no way of knowing if anything down below will be of interest.

Quickly finishing off back to where we started, the index. A few things before closing this out. In the directory search section, the drop down menu for select service has 0 options, is it therefore necessary to have that option at all? Below that, "Forthcoming Events", forthcoming sounds like such a forced word, just rename that to "Upcoming Events", although thats just my personal preference. Finally, fill in your meta tags.

Good site generally speaking, but definitely a few tweaks to be made.
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Aldershot, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wow thanks for all the feedback. My role is purely advisory on the implementation and I am a forum moderator and did the logo design. If I find the time I will make them a design template and get them matching colour Google ads.
  • Olga T.
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Olga T.
  • Loc: Ann Arbor, MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am not a professional in this field at all, and, therefore, unable to evaluate content. However, discussion topics look interesting. But I don't understand why Google ads on Hotel appear (does "hotel" generates more profit than "marketing"?). To my mind, you should pick ads on your subject, i.e. something with marketing.

What I don't like is a lot of red colour and pink highlightes. Blue ad on top is also out of place, it doesn't correlate neither with red-raspberry nor with orange.
I have tried to click on Select a Service in Directory Search, but it looks that it is not finished yet.

What I do like is a good structure of a site!

Olga.[/url][/list]
  • Olga T.
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Olga T.
  • Loc: Ann Arbor, MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am not a professional in this field at all, and, therefore, unable to evaluate content. However, discussion topics look interesting. But I don't understand why Google ads on Hotel appear (does "hotel" generates more profit than "marketing"?). To my mind, you should pick ads on your subject, i.e. something with marketing.

What I don't like is a lot of red colour and pink highlightes. Blue ad on top is also out of place, it doesn't correlate neither with red-raspberry nor with orange.
I have tried to click on Select a Service in Directory Search, but it looks that it is not finished yet.

What I do like is a good structure of a site!

Olga.
  • Mas Sehguh
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

It is not instantly obvious what your site is about. This should be made clear and distinct within about two seconds of scanning. Even after I've found the "About Us" page, the first thing there is to read is "MarketingMixers.com went live on the 1st December 2004. Inspired by Chris Lunn, ...."

The user interface is overwhelming. Visitors will want to avoid using it.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers