SITE REVIEW: Metacafe's Top Videos

• lucky
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi, the site is http://www.ilumu.com - Metacafe's Top Videos

It's basically the best of Metacafe's videos all on 1 site.

Pretty bland at the moment as I don't want to blog it down with ads and junk,

Cheers
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ErnestHemingway
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • ErnestHemingway
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Its too dark and the ads are hurting me lol
I do not see whats so special about yours from that of google
you have ads everywhere.
I am not sure how many times i have to stress this.

WORK ON YOUR READERS DO NOT SPAM ADSENSE ADS
YOU NEED READERS AND VISITORS TO GET ADSENSE CLICKS

my 2 cents for you my friend
  • Hob Bramble
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Indiana, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok - first off, ever since that silly study about using darker Google has been published, tons of sites EXACTLY like yours have popped up all over. No offence, but it isn't really original. (Personally, if I want a "darker Google," I just pop in a Firefox extension to make the real Google darker, so I don't have to switch at all.) No offence intended, mind you, I'm just pointing it out.

You've got WAY too many advertisements. I realize that you want to make some cash from your site, but with no real content (i.e. something that is original to your site), you've got no business having that many ads.

None of your code is valid - 48 errors in your main code, 24 errors in your CSS. For a site with as little code as yours has, that's really bad. Also, what's with the 157 lines of nothing in your source before your code actually starts?

On the upside, your site does work in every browser I tested it in (IE 6 & 7, Firefox 2, Maxthon 2, Opera 9, Netscape 9, Lynx, Safari 3 for Windows).

Ditch the "Bookmark this Page" and "Set has Homepage" links - neither works in non-IE browsers, so having them there is just bad form. Consider instead a much more useful link - one to add the your search to the search bar. That would not only be better (and, if you set it up correctly, work in every browser with a customizable search bar), but would make switching from Google to Ilumu much more painless.

One thing I do like about your site is your logo - the red and yellow half-circles look pretty cool. However, I can't help but wonder why you've got Google's favicon, when you could be using your own favicon featuring your neat logo.

You should also consider altering the "Search" button to match the rest of your site. It isn't too hard to do with a little CSS, and it would make the button blend in better. Something like:
Code: [ Select ]
background-color:transparent;
cursor:pointer;
border:0 transparent none;
color:#FFFFFF;
  1. background-color:transparent;
  2. cursor:pointer;
  3. border:0 transparent none;
  4. color:#FFFFFF;

Overall, design-wise: you've got a nice logo and your site works, but you need to clean up and repair your code, cut out some advertisements, and ditch the useless links on the main page. Concept-wise: it's been done, and it's been done a lot. Again, no offence, but is your site really necessary? Unless you add something (or better, a few somethings) to set it apart from other sites of the same type, I would say no, it isn't.
  • aikabeatrice
  • Loc: Las Vegas, Nevada

Post 3+ Months Ago

it hurting my eyes also ^__^

what is your advantage compare to google?

Maybe you can build it where users can search from all search engines in just one site. Just a suggestion..
  • lucky
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi hob,
thanks for the comments, they're really useful.
is there a quick way of testing site compatibilty?
with regard to colors, are they ok as they are?
thanks guys!
  • penguin
  • Flying penguins
  • Banned
  • Loc: Behind you !

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Welcome 81.1*1.***.164 from cpc3-????8-0-0-cust***.nott.cable.***.com!

whats the point in having that showed to people on your website?
  • Paul88
  • Paul88

Post 3+ Months Ago

its too dark
  • GeorgeAndJacksMagic
  • Born
  • Born
  • GeorgeAndJacksMagic

Post 3+ Months Ago

I personaly think there are to many of these sites. I like the look but it needs more as said above such as being able to search multiple search engines or have a news ticker or something
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

penguin wrote:
Quote:
Welcome 81.1*1.***.164 from cpc3-????8-0-0-cust***.nott.cable.***.com!

whats the point in having that showed to people on your website?

I was wondering the same thing.
  • indianminiature
  • indianminiature

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think you simply use the code from google adsense for your website, just to generate search revenue, I'm sorry but nothing very unique or great about
thanks
  • mit
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: INDIA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sorry, but I am not impressed.
  • irf2k
  • Born
  • Born
  • irf2k

Post 3+ Months Ago

I heard about similar sites earlier (http://www.ninja.com/ was the first one i heard about), and frankly, I think the large number of google ads at the top kills the idea...I mean, if you could customize it so that the ads appear to the right, just like google, then perhaps they wouldn't annoy people as much
though, I doubt google will ever allow you to do that, because they'd lose a lot of revenue
  • Ulrich

Post 3+ Months Ago

Go to http://www.google.com and type "blackle" (without quotes) in the search bar, hit enter and you get to a black google. That said, yes the ads are a bit too hard on the eyes and there's no advantage for me using ilumu over Google.

As mentioned, the logo really looks nice.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ulrich wrote:
Go to http://www.google.com and type "blackle" (without quotes) in the search bar, hit enter and you get to a black google. That said, yes the ads are a bit too hard on the eyes and there's no advantage for me using ilumu over Google.

As mentioned, the logo really looks nice.

That has actually being noticed by "OZZUNIANS" before... :lol:

general-discussion/blackle-t82025.html
  • psyche
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • psyche

Post 3+ Months Ago

indianminiature wrote:
I think you simply use the code from google adsense for your website, just to generate search revenue, I'm sorry but nothing very unique or great about
thanks

Right there is nothing great about the site...only for adsense sake, it is obvious...also the design is not good, nothing attract me...
  • lucky
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok thanks for all the comments guys. taken them onboard. scrapped all the google ads and made it into a video site now, http://ilumu.com
hope its better than before now
  • hancock0
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • hancock0

Post 3+ Months Ago

You need to allow user to search your site for videos and brighten it up some. Use a bright border.

Also i would change the layout of the navigation. Maybe put them on the left side of the screen and put the serch box where they are.
  • psyche
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • psyche

Post 3+ Months Ago

lucky wrote:
ok thanks for all the comments guys. taken them onboard. scrapped all the google ads and made it into a video site now, http://ilumu.com
hope its better than before now

Much better than the first one, however, not that very good...just add something much interesting that can filled up the empty space of you site...because it looks like there is something missing in it...but the simplicity is good...
  • lucky
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok thanks for the advice guys. i've made some changes to the layout and put some ads on now.
  • murcielagossi
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, there's nothing really good about the site, besides the logo. Sorry. It just doesn't offer anything for the user to want to go to it. Maybe present the videos in a more accessible fashion. And I would drop the black, to childish. Your logo looks modern, I would go in that direction. Good Luck.
  • vahho
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • vahho

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think this website can be better. The home page looks like the author did not put a lot of effort in it and also not well organized. The video on a home page does not make sense at all to the website. Also, the white line on the bottom should be corrected.
  • lucky
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

i think it's a browser issue. are you using firefox? it should be fixed now anyway, thanks
  • tennisaceflink
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • tennisaceflink

Post 3+ Months Ago

its a good idea
great logo at top
i love how easy it is to navigate
it needs to be beter intergrated
by that i mean that you should include a search box so users can search for their favorite videos. also maybe have an "arcive page" so that you can replace the videos every few weeks but users can still have the option to see older ones
  • lucky
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeh an archive sounds like a great idea. will do that when i get time, thanks for that!
  • Racer47
  • Born
  • Born
  • Racer47

Post 3+ Months Ago

I agree very dark. Maybe add some more structure to the layout.
  • MyToko
  • MyToko

Post 3+ Months Ago

A videosite needs a very visual homepage. Use 1 thumbnail of a random video for every category I suggest.
Choose a more happy or light colour for your background (and more fashionable!)

Regards,

bob
  • lucky
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

hi there, thanks for the comments. i thought black was ok? a white background is too commonplace and boring. will give the thumbnaail a though though, thanks for that!
  • jfrasier
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Palm Beach Gardens, Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I must be getting in on this one a bit late. The site looks nice now. A simple 2 row layout, nice styling of the header text, and clear readable font.

Not sure of what to compare it to, since I didn't get to see the old version..

One thing to keep in mind, you can't expect the general public to know about FF plugins to change the color, and don't make FF the best viewable browser. Yes it is a better browser, but you have to keep in mind the percentages of the viewable public. And unfortunately, IE 6 and IE7 are still used by over 90%. Make sure the site looks the same in the top 3 (ie: FF, IE and Safari). Though thankfully that cow IE6 is getting out of the picture.
  • ernest1a
  • ernest1a

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think that title Welcome to Our Website! should not be the most visible think in your site. Why are you putting that title, put some title which will tell us why to stay on your site.

I would prefer put some top videos into index site as text. You don't need a text there, why telling me that I don't need to register and about using left bar. Simple title "The most popular videos from Metacafe" would be enough and below top videos. It would keep more users.

Also try to put some viral staff. You can put right of every video 3 e-mails boxes with text Send that video to your friend.
  • jfrasier
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Palm Beach Gardens, Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Good suggestions ernest1a, wish I thought of them.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 31 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers