SITE REVIEW: metacrawler.net

• explicitarts1
  • Born
  • Born
  • explicitarts1

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well none of your links actually work, so I'm guessing they'll begin working when you finally release the full site. In your footer, what is the "?" before 2004? I have to say that your logo is AWESOME! As for the actual search feature, as mentioned, its slow. But you explained why. The preview thing is absolutely amazing, I really like that idea and it definitely gives your site a slight edge over the other search engines. Dude, you even have archives! Very cool.

The only part I'm not too sure about is opening search result sites in a new window when you click on them. The standard for search engines is just open the links in the same window, mainly because its a search feature. If the user doesnt get what they need, they just use the back button and try again. In this case, they would have to close the window, get back to the screen, then try again. I would rather have it the old way than to have it open in a new window. Either way, I'm definitely bookmarking this site because I'm sure its going far. Great job man.
  • _4_
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: @ my crater

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like the new name!!! exoode makes it unique!!! I like the results of the search!!!!

*4*
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, dumb idea. I never liked metacrawler much either. Agreed with the others. Load is super slow for broadband and I'd personally never use it.

//edit -- re: comments on the name? I'd never rememeber it
  • unbroken
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • unbroken

Post 3+ Months Ago

Its a nice search engine. Looks too much like google though. i would suggest changing it around to make it unique, but i really like the little lizard.
  • Sharky
  • Student
  • Student
  • Sharky
  • Loc: US

Post 3+ Months Ago

its realy good easy to use looks good *thumbs up
  • snicksnack
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: China

Post 3+ Months Ago

explicitarts1 wrote:

The only part I'm not too sure about is opening search result sites in a new window when you click on them. The standard for search engines is just open the links in the same window, mainly because its a search feature. If the user doesnt get what they need, they just use the back button and try again. In this case, they would have to close the window, get back to the screen, then try again. I would rather have it the old way than to have it open in a new window.

Thanks for the praise and your comments. The the search result site only open in a new window if you click on the small icon next to the 'headline' if you click on the text it open in the same window.

Not all links are working yet. The toolbar is under coinstruction as well as the about site and the disclaimer. However topsearch is working now.
  • unbroken69
  • Born
  • Born
  • unbroken69

Post 3+ Months Ago

I love your little lizard icon. Looks too much like google. The searches are really good though.
  • sebastianx
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • sebastianx

Post 3+ Months Ago

It is quite useful that it searches all the search engines like that, although it is quite slow. There used to be a thing you could download and put in your PC that did something similar.

I like the look of the site, nice and simple. I also like the little green man logo / gif. Reminds me of the crazy frog.

You might need to make it clearer that it is called exoode and not explode.

~S
  • pclovers
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Nagpur, India

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your site working nicely. I have searched the result.
  • desertland
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • desertland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just FYI - you might want to look into Google's API if you'd like to keep using them as a source:

http://www.google.com/apis/api_faq.html

They limit you to 1000 queries/day, but if people start using your site and it provides a valuable service, I'm sure you'd be able to work something out with Google...
  • Yambot
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Germany

Post 3+ Months Ago

Now i had tested metacrawler.net and have only Server errors..(:

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 41 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers