SITE REVIEW: metacrawler.net

• snicksnack
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: China

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have put a beta version of my metasearch engine online. It is currently not available under the topdomain name, please follow the link to review.

metacrawler.net

Any sort of input appreciated.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• darkermoon
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Riverdale, MD

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am kind of confused. Did you code all of that? It went a touch slow for me btw. How did you get so many pages in your search already.. it kind of looks like you're just searching off of search engines, is that what you're doing?
  • snicksnack
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

it is a metasearch engine. It gets the results from various search engine, such as google, yahoo, hotbot, alltheweb... after fetching the result, it ranks them and displays the results.

It is a bit slow due to checking so many search engines and fetching the preview pages. When it is ready it should go to a faster server, currently it is on a pentium 3 , 750 mhz.
  • daremedy
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • daremedy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well none of your links actually work, so I'm guessing they'll begin working when you finally release the full site. In your footer, what is the "?" before 2004? I have to say that your logo is AWESOME! As for the actual search feature, as mentioned, its slow. But you explained why. The preview thing is absolutely amazing, I really like that idea and it definitely gives your site a slight edge over the other search engines. Dude, you even have archives! Very cool.

The only part I'm not too sure about is opening search result sites in a new window when you click on them. The standard for search engines is just open the links in the same window, mainly because its a search feature. If the user doesnt get what they need, they just use the back button and try again. In this case, they would have to close the window, get back to the screen, then try again. I would rather have it the old way than to have it open in a new window. Either way, I'm definitely bookmarking this site because I'm sure its going far. Great job man.
  • daremedy
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • daremedy

Post 3+ Months Ago

bybye wrote:
good :)

Excellent feedback. Welcome to Ozzu.
  • snicksnack
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi daremedy,

thanks for the review. Very helpful I will change the opening in a new window to the regular search engine style (old way) and will add a open in new window link behind the results.

Most of the other links "directory, search tips..." are not working yet, as I am still working on it. I believe it will take another month or 2 before I will release the final version.

Thanks again for the comments.
  • darkermoon
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

that is one sweet site. Out of curiosity, if it's not top-secret.. how are you getting the results from google and other search engines? wouldn't they ban you after too many automated requests from your site?
  • snicksnack
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

well, google might do so, as it is against their TOS, but I can switch of google and might do so in the final version (unless I get approval from them). As far as the others are concerned, I didn't find anything yet in their TOS, but I guess first I would need alot of traffic, before any of the big search engine would realise my site.
  • mr_darek
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think the idea is awesome as well, I think you have a great thing in the works here.

I love the fact the a thumbnail of the site goes along with the search results - nice touch.

I would add a "Previous" and "Next" buttons before and after the pages on the bottom - to give the user an even more conveniant experience.

Overall I like how simple and clean it is - no PPC junk or advertising (except for that one ad on the right of course).

Nice work!
  • snicksnack
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks for the review. I will add the "preview" and "next" button with the next update.

The adsense will go, I use it to get indexed on google. I was told that the google bot comes along faster by using adsense. Not sure if this correct.
  • sycofi5h
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • sycofi5h
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah the colors are great just he only problem really really slow like yeah but pretty good though well done
  • northjersey78
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: New Jersey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Not sure what the point is in having links to Ask Jeeves, yahoo, Hot Bot... each search results has these links beneath them - but they only direct you to those sites. I can understand if you linked to those other engines with the original query entered but this way doesn't make much sense.

The thumbs are cool and the Whois/ Alexa/ Info for each result is an interesting twist. But the load time is pretty slow.

Overall - this shows some good promise.
  • 613flavah
  • battlestar
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Hurricane...

Post 3+ Months Ago

Why did you pick the same name as http://www.metacrawler.com/ ? I'm sure you could have come up with a more original and creative name. What's the purpose of having the same site but with a .net ?
  • darkermoon
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

probably to get a number of visitors who think it's the same site...
  • snicksnack
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Not sure what the point is in having links to Ask Jeeves, yahoo, Hot Bot...

this is where site site was found in the top rankings for the same keyword.

Quote:
did you pick the same name as http://www.metacrawler.com/ ? I'm sure you could have come up with a more original and creative name. What's the purpose of having the same site but with a .net ?

I have the domain already some time and never did anything with it, just came up with the idea recently. I was also looking for a good name. Any suggestions.

metacrawler.de/co.uk/.com.. exist already and I get some traffic from them on my .net. About 25-35 people a day to be precise. That is not alot.
  • hackrabbit
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • hackrabbit
  • Loc: California

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, I am sorry to say that i did not like the site because it is basically a GOOGLE knock-off. The logo is nice, I would not put any SHADOW in it however.

If you plan to include some content of your own, that would be nice. Maybe use the traffic from the searchpages to generate some visitors from your future planned content? How about adding a forum, chat or blog feature?

Good luck!
  • snicksnack
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

hi hackrabbit, it is more like a metacrawler.com/metaeureka.com/dogpile.co.uk knock-off as these are meta search engines. The site is also a metasearch and I don't want to make it into a portal. Thank for your ideas.
  • daremedy
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • daremedy

Post 3+ Months Ago

hackrabbit wrote:
Well, I am sorry to say that i did not like the site because it is basically a GOOGLE knock-off.

??? Other than the fact that his site retrieves websites related to a search, how is this a google knock off? The first thing I noticed about his site were the features that google didnt have.
  • Chris-Duff
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

just on a graphic side of it, the Drop shadow on the frog seems to far.

it looks more like a kind of dark patch rather than a drop shadow, closer would be nicer.

the frog itself appears a bit blurry, I tried on different screen and even on a nice TFT on a G5 it still seem a bit blurry ( may be my eye sight : ) )

good work though.
  • hackrabbit
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • hackrabbit

Post 3+ Months Ago

I respect your opinion, but it looks very similar to google. As I suggested more comntent should be available on the first page, unless the layout is chnaged, it still looks a lot like GOOGLE. Except the logo of course. I also did some searches, and a lot of the searches had error images and such. The logo is nice with some minor adjustments. But I think the author/designer would do well to blog the process or change the setup.

JUST MY OPINION. I AM NO EXPERT! IT IS A REVIEW OF COURSE.

daremedy wrote:
hackrabbit wrote:
Well, I am sorry to say that i did not like the site because it is basically a GOOGLE knock-off.

??? Other than the fact that his site retrieves websites related to a search, how is this a google knock off? The first thing I noticed about his site were the features that google didnt have.
  • snicksnack
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi hackrabbit, now I undertsnad what you mean. You mean the index page, which got some sort of google look. This will change a bit, as I will include specialty searches...

Quote:
and a lot of the searches had error images and such

What do you mean by that? What error images? Please let me knwo so I can fix this.

Thanks for your help.
  • hackrabbit
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • hackrabbit

Post 3+ Months Ago

click on the directory link:

http://webfetch.us/cgi-bin/suchhilfe.htm

the logo is not present.

I should have said the TOP NAVIGATION BAR links, the search works fine...

Definately a great logo frog!!!

Keep up the good work!!!

snicksnack wrote:
Hi hackrabbit, now I undertsnad what you mean. You mean the index page, which got some sort of google look. This will change a bit, as I will include specialty searches...

Quote:
and a lot of the searches had error images and such

What do you mean by that? What error images? Please let me knwo so I can fix this.

Thanks for your help.
  • snicksnack
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello,

I have updated the website now since a couple of month and the site will be out of beta release soon. I would appreciate your final comments so I could make changes where necessary.

Thank alot
  • Nikolas
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Nikolas
  • Loc: Greece

Post 3+ Months Ago

snicksnack I think you have a very good website. The only thing I didn;t like musc is that your domain is redirecting to http://webfetch.us/

I think that you should change that.

The only thing you should do now, is promotion. Also you should add more crawlable pages to your site (maybe a biger top searches list)
  • snicksnack
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

thanks for the input. The domains webfetch.us was used for beta testing and will later be removed and developed into a seperate website.

What advantages would I gain from increasing the number of top searches?

Thanks.
  • Funny_Fuzz
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

It has no rollover. I think the buttons and links should have a rollover effect. The picture at the bottom about downloading the toolbar confused me lots. But I love the logo. It's a great Idea and I'm sure it'll get lots of visitors when it's done. Good job and keep up the good work! :)
  • Eric Locken
  • Born
  • Born
  • Eric Locken
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi

I like the site very much, a good simple design.

I woulld try to add more tabs at the top searching for different things.

You have the web, images, books, music and products tabs which are good.

I would add the following (if it is not too difficult). News then how about something unique to your search engine like search forums, search blogs etc.
  • snicksnack
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi Eric,

thanks for the input. I am planning to add additional search such as blog search, forum and ftp search. This will take some time, but it will be done.

News search has just been added.

Thanks.
  • Mas Sehguh
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

MetaCrawler is already a trademark owned by Infospace, see http://www.infospaceinc.com/about/legal_trademarks.php

You are clearly in violation.
  • snicksnack
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

metacrawler is registered as trademark in the USA only. Neither my server nor the place from where the server is managed is in the USA. If you look at the websites metacrawler.de, metacrawler.co.uk and so on they are also not owned/operated by Infospace. However I have already considered this and choosen a new name. The change to the new name will be made in a few weeks. I have choosen exoode.com any comments on the name?

Thanks for your input.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 41 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers