SITE REVIEW: Mid Oakland Maintenance (landscaping)

• flashback10
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • flashback10

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey everyone. Could you all please check out my site I made for a landscaping business. It's my first flash site, so there may be problems I'm not even aware of. I have a video on the site as well, however I'm been recieving many messages about how it takes a long time to load. I tried to reduce the size of it and add a preloader, but I'm still not understanding how to set up the preloader. Anyways, here is my site. A review would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

http://www.midoaklandmaintenance.com/

maria-
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• deaddevil
  • deaddevil

Post 3+ Months Ago

the site is ok not that attractive.
I would advice you to create a proper html or php page and use tables to make the site attractive.
The flash object normally is slow and takes a pretty long time on a slow connection.
Moreover not all pc's have flash plugin installed neither does the download of the plugin help!
  • Elite Skills
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Elite Skills

Post 3+ Months Ago

Server not found =/
  • flashback10
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • flashback10

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for your responses. The site seems to be up now, but I've been having problems with it coming up from what I've been hearing. I do have an index.html file of the site from when I exported my flash site, but my site is linked to index.swf. Would it be better if I linked it to the other one, and if so, how would I do that?

maria-
  • mr_darek
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Great job - I like it's simple structure with the earth tones as color combo's. However there are some improvements which could be implemented.

>> I think your images which are fading (on the main page) as well as certain type on other sections (i.e. "landscaping", "pruning, cutting, clean-ups") could fade much quicker....its very sluggish.

>> I would consider using a preloader for either the entire site itself (recommended) or at least for the section including the segment regarding "What We Do" - at least a small preloader for that - don't leave the user hanging wondering what's going on after they click play....some sort of action needs to be happening, if I click play, I want some action.

As stated before - it is a job well done, but I think those comments can push this site along even further.
  • flashback10
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • flashback10

Post 3+ Months Ago

I do agree that I need a preloader, but I've never done a good one before. Can anyone offer advice as to where to start or have a link where there is an example. I have a preloader when you click on my video, but it just says 'loading'....and I know that's kinda boring. I want a cool preloader with something to look at. Also, do you think I need a preloader for my pictures? I optimized them really low because the file sizes were an issue earlier.

Thanks again for your comments and reviews. I appreciate it.

maria-
  • deaddevil
  • deaddevil

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeh preloaders are great!
It helps!
Now do you want a preloader for your flash objects or for the other html/php content as well.Accordingly i could supply you with a javascript,html,php or a flash preloader example :twisted:
  • flashback10
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • flashback10

Post 3+ Months Ago

My whole site is in flash, which exports in .swf, and one .html for my entire site. I wanted to put a preloader for my video and the main entrance to the site.

maria-
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think your site is simple, clean and to the point. Sometimes frills is unnecessary in a site, and you've got a nice base to go with.

Here's a great preloader: http://www.kirupa.com/developer/mx/perc ... loader.htm

:)
  • Elite Skills
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Elite Skills

Post 3+ Months Ago

Make the text lighter. If I click on any of the subcategories it takes me to a page with a dark background and blak text as the navigation.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers