SITE REVIEW: Mikes Hell

• Sumen
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Rochester or Albany, NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, Im not the best web site designer in the world (I've learned to live with it) but I was hoping this was good looking to some people. This is a personal site I've made.
Still ironing out some problems(fading red on navigation) but Its nearing completion
http://mikeshell.afraid.org
I've played around with semi transparencies but it lags IE, I've also played with other effects. This is a theme I've created for a free cms called e107. Just wondering if people have suggestions or what not.
Thanks.
  • assasin3k
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Spain

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello,
I dont like the menu on rollover above, and this site is too red. In my opinion you must change the background and put a nice eye collor. navigating on your site made my eyes hurt. Thats the red problem. I think orange where the bars are red will work with a blue-green background. Use a program to see the best color combination.

I hope this will help u :D
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Louisville, Ky

Post 3+ Months Ago

well i like your layout. Those colors would be nice if the background was just black. Too distracting. Also I am not a big fan of fixed backgrounds. looks neat, but is distracting.
  • Poly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Same place you left me.

Post 3+ Months Ago

im gonna have to agree with vlad, the colors are nice, but the background is distracting. Also the background is one size, so if somebody elso comes on with a different size resolution than what the background is, it dosent look too good.

poly
  • deepesh
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • deepesh
  • Loc: INDIA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am not a web-designer but as a surfer, I don't think anything nice in layout, the color red is very distracting it well suits to site title the HELL but Sorry, to say it feels like HELL while browsing.
  • veedee
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

it's really 'hell' for eyes, specially when you rapidly scroll the page.
  • Skirge
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Skirge
  • Loc: nashua nh

Post 3+ Months Ago

yes i agree any red screen or background with alot of text on it is hard on the eyes espically when the info is very important it gives everything else a red tint witch for some people isnt a problem but it can be very annoying the site that i made is a light blue (i am very new to making websites so go easy on this 1) http://www.clanjn.vze.com its a clansite for a starwars game
  • lineleeder
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Southern NH

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think this site has tons of potential. I can tell when resizing the page you designed for a secific resolution - no biggie. The fire look has it's place - this could be it, and I think I agree with vlad... try losing the fixed bg - it might make the BG look less distracting.

BRIGHT - but, hey, if you don't think you can design yer wrong - it's a great start!
  • AHaz
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: New York

Post 3+ Months Ago

the page just has a little too much red for me (i know...hell but still)
  • Poly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Same place you left me.

Post 3+ Months Ago

lineleeder wrote:
BRIGHT - but, hey, if you don't think you can design yer wrong - it's a great start!

very good point. it is a very good start.

Poly
  • soulseek3r
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • soulseek3r
  • Loc: Guyana

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well the site gives a nice fel for me. Maybe cuz of the bg or so. The rollovers you have isn't that nice. Maybe when mouseover, a color u can still see. Where you have Mile's Hell in the header. It looks plain. The box is so big and that is so small so it gives an empty feel which in the long run makes your header boring.

Just work on those and you have an A ok site to me.
  • BaDD CoDeR
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I dont know if you adjusted it since those posts up above, but I have a different opinion here, n I gotta tell you I LIKE IT!
I like the background. (It doesnt distract me.) And I like the red. If its hell it really should have at least sommmmeee fire n brimstone red.
You have a nice theme and I think it works!
BaDD CoDeR
  • sana
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: I am back!!

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nice site..but the navigation isnt good..add some more space for navigation..n keep the background black so it wont hurt the eyes
  • Sumen
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Rochester or Albany, NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for taking the time to view the site and post your comments. I appreciate it. I've been neglecting the site design but im now going back to it. Im going to create a brand new theme using a lot of the same elements of the old.
Im hoping it will be able to adress some of the problems people are having w/ the theme.
Some I do not plan on addressing, like the red and fire. I understand why its a problem, I see it myself, but i want a hellish looking theme. I might try to tone down the brightness however.
The comment about the logo and empty space.... I see what your saying and thanks for pointing it out.
The fixed bg...well...im not sure what to do. I want an interesting background, and they dont ussually look good tiled....im hoping i can make the theme be able to work w/ it.....i don't know
Im hoping if i repost the site when a brand new design is done people will be nice enough again to spend the time to review it once more
  • Skybin
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Skybin
  • Loc: Where the soy and cornfields grow...

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you're going to keep the flames and red., I'd suggest you dim the tones up a little. A duller red and perhaps a duller flame with a slight opactiy drop?

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 15 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers