SITE REVIEW: Mind-Side.com

• Mr. Wiggles
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Mr. Wiggles
  • Loc: Brizzle

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've finaly launched a working page for my web deisgn and hosting site. I'vetried to keep it nice and simple. It uses completely validating css and xhtml and uses php includes to keep it 56k friendly. What do you think? Also, what tips would you give me on making it more search-engine/google friendly?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce
  • Loc: Washington DC

Post 3+ Months Ago

Umm, you need more graphics in there and a lot more content. It is a big improvement from the last overly-red site though!
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

You may want to do a quick once over, there are a few typos. For example,
Portfolio wrote:
We are building up out portfolio at the moment, please check back sometime for more examples.
  • Mr. Wiggles
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Mr. Wiggles

Post 3+ Months Ago

Arr. I have fixed all 3 spelling/grammar errors I found there after the gazillionth readthrough. There shouldn't be any left now.
  • 613flavah
  • battlestar
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Hurricane...

Post 3+ Months Ago

The site isn't bad but it seems to be missing something.. can't quite put my finger on it.

Also noticed on the about page

"Contact: - " remove the dash, no need to have that if you've got a colon.

On that same page, just a comment, but what about making email forms instead of just email links. By using forms instead of the links you're not leaving out your customers who use web based email.

Like Truce mentioned, you definitely need more graphics, photos something.
  • Mr. Wiggles
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Mr. Wiggles

Post 3+ Months Ago

using : - is correct for listing things on a new line.
I'm going to muck around with the background img a bit, make it seem a little 3d hopefully. I really would like some freedback on the SEO side of it. ATM, searching mind-side.com in google gives the page, but with no meta description or keywords. Can anyone help? Also, how can I boost my ranking for the keywords?
  • frank_tudor
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Plattsmouth, NE

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like it!!!!

It is very compartmentalized!

Your use of color is right on spot.

The site is fast and functions well.
  • Mr. Wiggles
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Mr. Wiggles

Post 3+ Months Ago

Loads more feedback would be great. Anyone?
  • mr_darek
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, it looks more like a personal portfolio site as opposed to a professional company's site. It's very bare in terms of content giving me a visual-interpretation that you may not be able to do that much for me if I were a potential client.

Im not by any means indicating you need to crowd the white space with content, but you definitely need a more substantial amount.

The design does not give me the impression that you offer design services a rather this-credible irony which may cost you potential clients.

All in all, it is clean, but it needs to be pushed farther along in the direction you have going.
  • Anty
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Anty
  • Loc: Switzerland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

I'm new to this forum, so first crit here. :)

"It uses completely validating css and xhtml and uses php includes to keep it 56k friendly" Ok. And what about all connections greater than 56K ? I think that lowering the gfx of a site only to please 56K is too bad.

The positive thing in your site is the xhtml + css validation but If I'd consider the negative things, they all would be related to the gfx. The font is too common and the colours aren't well used because the only shape in the site is a rounded corners rectangle. Hence the site hasn't a specific style.

Well, if you're good in coding, start learning how to use photoshop or illustrator or anything you like to design some gfx to enhence your site.

Good luck in your dev
+
  • TsX
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

In regards to the 56K user-friendliness. 56K's are quickly dying. I am still on one, but I don't mind a minute load. Normally after the first "long load" cache comes into play and things flow along a lot better.

Don't be afraid to use graphics, just know when to limit them.
  • George_Gambino
  • Student
  • Student
  • George_Gambino

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Well, it looks more like a personal portfolio site as opposed to a professional company's site. It's very bare in terms of content giving me a visual-interpretation that you may not be able to do that much for me if I were a potential client.

An honest and fair quote!
  • singh2004
  • Born
  • Born
  • singh2004

Post 3+ Months Ago

ur going to be rich soon
  • voycieh
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Poland, Warsaw

Post 3+ Months Ago

It is too simple... Nothing's going on...
Are U shure that Bill Gates will let U put his "start" icon? :)
  • Funk Doc
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Funk Doc
  • Loc: London, England.

Post 3+ Months Ago

I agree with most the people on here. For a web design site it's far to plain. The functionality might be good, but style wise it wouldn't have much faith in using you to design a site.

You need to jazz it up a lot!
  • cubechris
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Gloucester, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like the design, its got a retro feel to it which i like, and is very clean looking, you could have utilised the space a bit more effectively, and also in your portfolio, may i reccomend a screenshot of the site? and possibly a word from the site owner, to show how impressed they are with your service?
  • o[tter]
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Seattle, WA, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's quant. It needs more colour. Just a bit to detail it. I'd also like to see something at the bottom of the red box, a copyright or something. It feels plain just having the red border on the bottom.

Also, even on 1280 x 1024, there's a tremendous amout of white space. I'm wondering what it will look like at home on my 1600 x 1200. Monitor resolutions higher than 800 x 600 are becoming more and more common.

Sounds like you're a great coder, but you have some ground to cover as a designer. You've got the eye though, just need to extend your imagination and find the balance between good code and visually impressive design.
  • Mr. Wiggles
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Mr. Wiggles

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for many very great comments.
I have found designing a site with this much pressure beig on it, I wanted something that looked extremely professional and did an excellent job of what it was needed for. I am now tryig to tihnk of ways I could use the current style but incorporating more graphics, htings to look at and read e.t.c
Suggestioms on this would be much appreciated.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 18 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers