SITE REVIEW: minirank.com

• miniRank.com
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • miniRank.com

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

I've made some changes to [url]minirank.com[/url]. The site ranks websites by popularity.

First, I've made a Firefox extension which will display in the Firefox status bar a number representing popularity of the website the user is currently on. The extension is officially reviewed by Mozilla and is available here:
https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=1446. If you currently use Firefox it would be nice if I can have feedback on the usability of the extension.

Second, what do you think about the website and the it's concept? Would you change anything? Add/remove something?

Regards,
Emilijan
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Funny_Fuzz
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Not bad. But it doesn't seem to always work for all the websites for some odd reason. Possibly because it's not registered with it?
  • flash_f
  • Born
  • Born
  • flash_f

Post 3+ Months Ago

Not bad. i like it.
  • farmer_Tom
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • farmer_Tom
  • Loc: Oaklahoma

Post 3+ Months Ago

You've got a cool system here by ranking sites in the database but the ratings are a bit suprising (Lycos over Google, etc.,) so I'm curious as to your criteria for points. Also, manual submission takes a long time; have you considered adding an indexing script to get lots of pages into your database?
  • miniRank.com
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • miniRank.com

Post 3+ Months Ago

Funny_Fuzz wrote:
Not bad. But it doesn't seem to always work for all the websites for some odd reason. Possibly because it's not registered with it?

Coverage should improve with time, of course the way the system is designed, what's in now are really popular sites ;)
  • miniRank.com
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • miniRank.com

Post 3+ Months Ago

farmer_Tom wrote:
You've got a cool system here by ranking sites in the database but the ratings are a bit suprising (Lycos over Google, etc.,) so I'm curious as to your criteria for points. Also, manual submission takes a long time; have you considered adding an indexing script to get lots of pages into your database?

Manual submission is there for new sites. By default, they will be added automatically is other pages know about them.

As for the actual ranking algorithm, I'm tweaking it at present so there might be sone visible changes soon. Nothing major though, whats popular will always be near the top.
  • apsblackbelt2
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • apsblackbelt2
  • Loc: George Mason University

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wow this was a tough review for me. It is actually very good yet there is something about it that just says a little too plain. Im sorry that I have no really good suggestions other than think about spicing it up a bit. But the site is very well done, and great idea.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers