SITE REVIEW: Modern Image

• mediatitan
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • mediatitan

Post 3+ Months Ago

Please review this site we are working on for a client (almost done - mostly just marketing now):

http://www.modernimage.net

Thanks,

Tim

We're also finishing http://www.modernimagemoto.com (if your just looking for extra sites to review) but will submit that later for the real review.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

So far I have only looked at your entrance page. First -- I like your modernimage graphic. After that, dealing with white on that shade of blue is a little difficult. I think the "Car decals, etc..." text should be a graphic with the same font as the word "enter". I think that's a nice font and would be appropriate. I'm sure you can see the jagged edges around the text fonts. Verdana, in your code (I think) should be capitalized. I'm guessing here, because Arial and Verdana are close, but your font looks like it's defaulting to Arial for me (That's why I'm wondering if the Capital V should be included).

It may be just the fact that you are using H4 for this:

Code: [ Select ]
<h4><font face="verdana, Arial" color="white">Car decals fast and affordable!! Try out our vinyl auto decals with a simple mouse click. Our large range of custom stickers are the best around and easily applied to your car. Preview graphics on your car before you buy them. We also create personalized custom decals.
  <br><br>
    These decals are available in dozens of different color combinations. All of these products are constructed from high quality self adhesive vinyl material which can be applied to any car.
    </h4>
  1. <h4><font face="verdana, Arial" color="white">Car decals fast and affordable!! Try out our vinyl auto decals with a simple mouse click. Our large range of custom stickers are the best around and easily applied to your car. Preview graphics on your car before you buy them. We also create personalized custom decals.
  2.   <br><br>
  3.     These decals are available in dozens of different color combinations. All of these products are constructed from high quality self adhesive vinyl material which can be applied to any car.
  4.     </h4>

Using header tags like H4, usually cause fonts not to display as well as they should. Although I don't recommend using the font tag period, I'd skip the h4 tag and make the font the default size=3 and you'll probably get a better looking page.
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Aldershot, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like the way you select cars and the images but it would be good to show a sample of what a real car looks like with the stickers on. Not on every sticker just 2 or 3.

I think he is using H4 for search engine optimisation and if it works then that’s cool.

Changing font tags all the time is hassle have you eve thought about style sheets?
  • gsv2com
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Nippon

Post 3+ Months Ago

Two words: graphic heavy
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Louisville, Ky

Post 3+ Months Ago

I love the artwork and the colors.

I think the site represents these guys extremely well.

It seemed like it took forever for the home.html page to load up, not sure why that is.

One thing that I have noticed is that the font looks real blurry, It really clashes with the rest of the site.

Nicely done, looks good in all resolutions too, something I really need to work on
  • phaugh
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Cool design!

Although I'd like to see the site in a sports car red. I think this would be more fitting for the product your customer is selling. The blue is harsh on the eyes. The site gets easier to look at once I'm inside. The white/black content holders break up the harshness of the blue.

The graphics in the menus are too thick...maybe try a thinner font or the same font just not so bold.

The graphics on the specials page are very large in size. Each one is about 33K in size. I save on to my HD and compressed it down to 8K. That's a 4x savings

Just popped over to see modernimagemoto.com...that's the red I'm talking about and the flash work is awesome!

Maybe stay with the blue just make it a bit darker.

nice work
  • vrajesh
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: India

Post 3+ Months Ago

excellent 8)
  • Cibok
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Cibok

Post 3+ Months Ago

The first page looks pretty decent, cool graphic at the top. As for the second page, I really like how you made the top graphic. The small "window" looks very cool. The thing that I don't like is the bottom blue gradient, try changing it to something else or something! :D
  • mediatitan
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • mediatitan

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey - thanks everyone for the input. Will take care of some things. Can't take text off of index page though - it kicks butt on the search engine aspect (fonts are a different story though).

Thanks again,

tim
  • Nsee
  • Nsee

Post 3+ Months Ago

Four major good things:
1. Loads fast!
2. Clean graphics, look optomized for the web.
3. Scripting and other selective options load nice, no gibberish on the bottom or top of the page.
4. Good color scheme
Three minor flaws:
1. The welcome page, give it not just a blue back ground
2. I suggest using a non-italicized font for the link selectors, but it works with the overall site design
3. Cut up the gallery page or make it more text based so it will load faster.

Overall, great design, loved how the site flowed, never got lost.
  • starqueen
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

The splash page serves no purpose for me... you could put that company statement on the main index ya know?

The site does load fast, props for that. The color scheme doesn't necessarily need to be changed, but the fonts on the navigation sure do. Instead of using that cheesy "cool" font, use something easier to read or larger in size-give space between them too. Instead of using pure whites or yellows, use mixed colors? Maybe grays and tans?

I would have loved to work on a car detailing site! Seemed like fun! Hope I was helpful :wink:
  • dont_lament
  • dont_lament

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hmn...this is pretty bad stuff.. Yeah, why have spash page? You dont need one...they are bad user interface design...they just piss people off...unless you need to warn of flash content, etc.

Your typography is about 7 years out of date....

You have huge amount of wasted space on the page...im on 1264 * 768 and theres huge gradients....which are tacky....
  • jasper
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Surrey, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

I agree, splash page serves no purpose and is just an annoyance.

When the home page loads up it is much more interesting as you are not quite sure what is coming.

I get many "errors on page" on the homepage which is slowing its loading.

The bright blue images on the white background is a little too stark for my taste, I would tone it down with more colour where the cars show.

Good site, particularly like the decal viewer, very well done.
  • MPICS Digital
  • MPICS Digital
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi Tim, I think it looks pretty good. Its very bright, fast & eye catching. The only thing i had a problem was with the links at the top of the page, they are pretty hard to read and look a little blurry. Other than that you did a very nice job!
  • _Leo_
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Buenos Aires, Argentina

Post 3+ Months Ago

I really like the graphic design of the site. I have a couple of hits anyway:

1. Change the font of the menu to somethin easy to read. Leave the font you are using now for especial text you want to highlight.
2. Do not mix different roll overs, you have white going to yellow and yellow going to nothing. You should choose one, for the main menu at least.
3. The "Car Decals, Graph..." text is too big. I think you can make it smaller and people will read it well. It should not be bigger than the ENTER text. If you want to MAKE people read the text, you make remove the enter link under the logo, and leave the "Click Here to Enter" text only. If you do that, it would be even better to add a link from the logo itself (to enter the site).

Nice site, good luck...
  • Pknuts
  • Pknuts

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think it looks good, though I'm not so sure about that shade of blue. Particularly on the front page. It just seems a bit TOO blue if you know what I mean.

But apart from that, I like the rest, the graphics are very nice
  • jlknauff
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

The good first:

I like your images
I generally like your layout

The not so good:

Tone down the saturation in the blue, it's a little intense. Hard on the eyes.
Either use a different font or increase the size (I would use a different font) in the nav near the top. It is difficult to read.
Tighten up the white space between images. You want to have more white space on the outside of images than you have between images. If you want an example let me know and I can dig something up for you.

Hope that helps

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 17 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers