SITE REVIEW: ModernFreak.com

• mmmwowmmm
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • mmmwowmmm

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello. I’ve been working on this site for a few months, and I’m getting ready to start advertising and link-building.

This is a website that allows visitors to create their own sub-site within the main site (think blogspot, myspace, etc). What I’m mainly concerned about is how easy/straight-forward the “set-up” process is for new members.

If you could actually go through the process of setting up a new sub-site (it really doesn’t take that long), and let me know what you think about the process, that would be great.

Do this: name your site something that begins with the word “testing”, like “Testing Monkey Dog Melon” (or whatever), then I can just delete it later.

It’s a big site with lots of features, so I don’t expect you to check out everything, but if you could at leaste go through the basic set-up process and let me know if there’s anything that’s confusing, or could be better, I’d really appreciate it - Thanks!

http://www.ModernFreak.com
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• croft15
  • Student
  • Student
  • croft15
  • Loc: Slovakia

Post 3+ Months Ago

i think it's coolll but i recommend some animation , it's very static, and that picture in the middle is little deppressed
  • mmmwowmmm
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • mmmwowmmm

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for taking a look, croft15.

I was hoping that some of you could go through the "create your own website" set-up process. I'm not asking for you to actually start a real website at ModernFreak, but if you could just create a "test" site... I can delete it later.

The main thing that I'm concerned with is the user interface for setting up a new site. I realize that I'm asking for a little more that usual, but it really should only take 5 minutes or less to go through the process, and you don't have to register or anything - just type in a name for your site and click the button. Include the word "Testing" in the name and I'll know to delete it later.

Thanks
  • JennyLee
  • Born
  • Born
  • JennyLee

Post 3+ Months Ago

I really enjoyed your site. I think it is nice- with the layout and everything funny how well it fits my personality.
  • thedark
  • thedark

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't think animations are required, but something to separate the areas of your website, menu, content, news, etc.
  • dudeking
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: UK, Middlands

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm going throught the create a site, first thing, maby make the first screen on the create a site simpler.
Do not replace ".ControlPanel". Why not add this to the code so they can't?

And instead of (NOTE: If you get an "Enter Password" screen, then the site name you have chosen is already taken.)
Why not have seperate logon and signup?

I agree with the others, annimation and colour is key, when you get to the control panel everything is gray, needs colour.
Your sites seems to change throught lots of themes on differnt pages try and keep it all the same.
  • mmmwowmmm
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • mmmwowmmm

Post 3+ Months Ago

I appreciate you guys checking out my site. One thing, though - What I was really asking for was for you to actually go through the "5-minute quick start". After you type in the name of your site, the first thing you see is a "5-minute Quick Start". This is how you actually set up your site - not by just going to the Control Panel.

See, the control panel is not meant to entertain you or anything... no one else will ever even see your control panel, it's just a utility page with various tools. It's what you use to create your website.

I will say this: Just the fact that no one "got" the whole "5-minute Quick Start" thing tells me that obviously I need to make that a lot clearer. That's really my main goal, so I'll have to fix that.

However, if at least a couple of people could actually do all five steps of the Quick Start, that would be great.

Thanks,
Phil
  • dudeking
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sorry, I missed it :?

I'll go back throught and do it now for you.
  • dudeking
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, I got as far as create group header, I can't find the link to get back.
Maby make your navigation clearer.
  • mmmwowmmm
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • mmmwowmmm

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey, DudeKing, I do appreciate you running through it again - thanks!

The link that takes you back to the Control Panel is in the left sidebar, but I see what you mean - it's not terribly obvious, as it is among several other links, and it doesn't really stand out.

This is exactly the kind of feedback I need, because my goal is to make the process as straight-forward as possible. I'll just have to figure that detail out...

Thanks
  • dudeking
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

From the controle panel how do you get back to the step by step guide?
This is also hard to find.
  • _mike_
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: The Netherlands

Post 3+ Months Ago

Uhm, I would suggest adding one little javascript to your website.

Where you have the code for creating your own thingymejig on your website, use the following code

Code: [ Select ]
<form class='newpage' action='' method='post'>
  <input type='hidden' name='n' value='Main.CreateAWebsite' />
  <input type='hidden' name='action' value='new' />
  <input type='hidden' name='base' value='Main.CreateAWebsite' />
  <input type='hidden' name='save' value='true' />
  <input type='hidden' name='template' value='Your.ControlPanel' /><input class='inputbox newpagetext' type='text' name='name' onfocus="this.value=''" onblur="this.value=this.value+'.ControlPanel'" value='Your Site Here     .ControlPanel' size='30' style="font-weight: bold; background-color: #FEF5D8; color: #6F0000"/>&nbsp;
  <input class='inputbutton newpagebutton' type='submit' value='Create Site' style="background-color: #3C0000; color: #FDEEBB; border-style: ridge; border-color: #FFFFCC" /></form>
  1. <form class='newpage' action='' method='post'>
  2.   <input type='hidden' name='n' value='Main.CreateAWebsite' />
  3.   <input type='hidden' name='action' value='new' />
  4.   <input type='hidden' name='base' value='Main.CreateAWebsite' />
  5.   <input type='hidden' name='save' value='true' />
  6.   <input type='hidden' name='template' value='Your.ControlPanel' /><input class='inputbox newpagetext' type='text' name='name' onfocus="this.value=''" onblur="this.value=this.value+'.ControlPanel'" value='Your Site Here     .ControlPanel' size='30' style="font-weight: bold; background-color: #FEF5D8; color: #6F0000"/>&nbsp;
  7.   <input class='inputbutton newpagebutton' type='submit' value='Create Site' style="background-color: #3C0000; color: #FDEEBB; border-style: ridge; border-color: #FFFFCC" /></form>

When the focus is on the textfield, it clears the textfield, but when the focus goes off the textfield, it automatically adds .ControlPanel to it.
  • _mike_
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: The Netherlands

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ow yea... also, I would put your "The Rules" section under a seperate link, where it says Terms and conditions, and that when you sign up for the service, you get them shoved under your nose, have to read it, tick the checkbox, and continue on.
Having them on the main page takes up too much space...

Your page is simply too long... people get bored after having read the first 3 paragraphs, scroll on if they like it, but don't bother to read the rest.

Keep it short, and keep it clear, and have another page reserved for a more in detail explanation.(Using [read more] links usually helps)
  • mmmwowmmm
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • mmmwowmmm

Post 3+ Months Ago

Mike,

Thanks for the java, that was a really useful code, and I used it. And you're right about the home page being too long, I'll devide it up into different pages. I also agree with you about the "rules" being presented in some kind of sign-up process. Excellent advice all around.

DudeKing,

Quote:
From the controle panel how do you get back to the step by step guide?
This is also hard to find.

The step-by-step guide is on the Control Panel. It's the very first thing, I don't know how you could miss it.
  • dudeking
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Okay thanks, I was clicking the wrong link, but it does probe that the navigation needs improving.
Also you have put mikes script on the home page but not on the page from the create a site link http://www.modernfreak.com/index.php?n= ... teAWebsite
  • mmmwowmmm
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • mmmwowmmm

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok, I think I've got it now, it's completely different. You just type the name you want your website to be into the box and click. All of the pages are all created for you at once, so no more "create this, create that"...

Let me know if there's anything that needs improving with this new set up. I appreciate everyone's help on this, it's been very useful - Thanks!
  • The Chief
  • Born
  • Born
  • The Chief

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like the site, but I agree with others that you could use a little flash or something on the picture... Considering your still making adjustments, your traffic ranking on alexa looks decent!

Matt
ClickChief
  • mmmwowmmm
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • mmmwowmmm

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm not sure I get the whole "your site needs flash" thing. I'm just not sure what you mean by that. Like flash cartoons? Or flash buttons, that do animated things when you hover over them?

When I'm surfing, I hit a lot of major websites, and I don't think I usually see much flash on them (except for ads). Occasionally, but not usually.

This is a website that allows users to create their own website within the main website, like blogspot, myspace, etc. You can have your own forums, chatrooms, blog tools, unlimited pages, total CSS control... you can upload and play all types of media, you can have a "members only" site, a wiki-style site, you can create your own header, sidebar, footer, clickable logo, etc... This is a big site, with lots to criticize beyond the visual aspects.

What I'm mainly concerned with is:
Is it easy enough?
Is it confusing?
Are the instruction clear?
Are there too many steps?

Stuff like that.

By the way, if you go through the "Create a Website" process, just include the word "testing" in your site's name, so I'll know I can delete it later.

Thanks
  • ab9003
  • Born
  • Born
  • ab9003

Post 3+ Months Ago

Very nice, increase your game selection and get the site to be a bit less static and you will become very popular.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 19 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers