SITE REVIEW: monkeybeanz.com

• JuliaG
  • Born
  • Born
  • JuliaG

Post 3+ Months Ago

I had this site recommended to me as a great place to get some brutal site critique so here I am. I am super new at all of this and would love to hear what some pros have to say about the site. I am hoping to go live this week. TIA for any advice!

Here's the link: http://www.monkeybeanz.com/index.php

There are some things that I already know need fixing (inconsistent font - still trying to decide which looks best, adding contact info etc) .
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• npennington
  • npennington

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nice design pretty simple and I understand that you are trying to sell me clothing copy of things.

- Your Home page link at the top goes back to a Coming Soon page, http://www.monkeybeanz.com/ instead of http://www.monkeybeanz.com/index.php, you may want to fix that.

- It was pretty clear that I was at shopping site, but why not put a few of your items to sell on your website front page so a user can go straight to a transaction when they arrive at your home page.

- Small thing but your copyright says 2006 instead of 2007

Good luck

Noel
http://atmuch.com
  • Shadows
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Shadows

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like the design, extremely simple and clean, it's doesn't overload with enormous amounts of information like many sites today do.

The only aspect I'm (as a visitor) am not keen on is the contact form, the hover effect that makes the form fields look 3d in firefox but this is simply down to preference.

Good work.
  • articlia
  • Born
  • Born
  • articlia

Post 3+ Months Ago

The background of your site is too simple, when your site is meant for children then obviously it needs a higher pitch of colors, to enhance its appeal... you can use a lighter but elegant background color and the side frames of each product image should be highlighted to attract the viewer.
the navigation bar has too small font, you must make it bold or use funny images as buttons .... this is the biggest flaw, it takes 3 minutes to judge that your site has kids stuff, that is not so good.
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

Firstly in IE6 there is a strange white line on the right hand side of the whole page which isn't a good thing seeing that so many people still use IE6 ...

The W3C Validator found 7 errors in the coding on your "home" page ... you can see them here ...

Then you could also disable the link of the page that a user is on, for example, if a user is on the "clothing" page, you could disable the "clothing" link and make it another colour (or rollover state), this way users won't redirect to the page that they are already on, and they will always know which page they are on ...

Then after I have added some stuff to my shopping cart I clicked on the "home" link at the top and then I was redirected to a "coming soon" page instead of the "home" page ...
  • penguin
  • Flying penguins
  • Banned
  • Loc: Behind you !

Post 3+ Months Ago

Great clean design, Nice Bold and eyecatching. I would not change that as it looks fine to me, Great work.
  • jameson5555
  • Bronze Robot
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

I agree with others that the design is nice and clean, which to me is very refreshing for an online shopping site. The navigation is very logical and easy to understand.

Definitely fix the validation errors righteous_trespasser mentioned, but other than that, nice work!
  • Breeze
  • Photographer
  • Guru
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Everything everyone else's said is valid, I just wanted to add my two cents. The red titles on the navigation bar on the left there irk me somewhat ... I don't know, they just don't fit in with the blue/orange colour scheme you've got going.

I think the words under the form on the contact page should have rollover effects to fit with the rest of the links.

The about us page looks like one big blob of text that I don't want to read. Perhaps make it a couple of points smaller and increase the line height?

All in all it's a nice simple design, bordering on the edge of being too simple ... but it's a very blurry line, and no-one wants a complicated website to figure out.
  • sfraise
  • sfraise
  • Loc: Iowa

Post 3+ Months Ago

Personally I think simple is better when you're talking about trying to sell something to someone. That said, I would personally work on trying to "funnel" people into the action of actually shopping. As someone else said I would really add "featured" or "hot" items to the front page. This would give more incentive to people to actually start shopping as well as add a little more to your really plain front page.
  • Boke
  • Student
  • Student
  • Boke
  • Loc: Hiroshima, Japan

Post 3+ Months Ago

I liked it, my only complaint would be that it was too simple
  • motionmountain
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • motionmountain

Post 3+ Months Ago

The GoDaddy.com Icon on the bottom appears three times,
at different heights, on Firefox am MacOSX.

MM
  • g-technology
  • g-technology

Post 3+ Months Ago

My suggestions would be:

1. Fix the home button and logo on top to go to your http://www.monkeybeanz.com/index.php
2. Highlight at least three of your most popular items on the home page.
3. I would use justify on the aligment of the text on the home page rather than center.

Overall I like your site good job.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 12 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers