SITE REVIEW: Motion Mountain - the free physics textbook

• motionmountain
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • motionmountain

Post 3+ Months Ago

My site at http://www.motionmountain.net
provides a free physics text to download.
I tried to make it as inviting and user-friendly
as I can.

I would be interested in any feedback to improve
both aspects. Thank you!

Christoph
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Belgrade, Serbia

Post 3+ Months Ago

first - I love the idea of the site! might download it myself....

second - one thing I'd do is make the list of questions that you use to draw people into what you're offering
(How does a rainbow form?
Is levitation possible?
Do time machines exist? etc)
clickable, so people can have a glimpse of the replies to these questions...... looking at them I fully expected them to be somehow interactive.

also the little mosaic of images in your header section is really cute, but I have no idea where clicking on the images will take me - maybe some alternate text that will show a quick explanation of where the pictures lead on hover....?

Also there are two little pictures that look like they belong in that mosaic (actually they are repeats of images from the mosaic) but are floating freely on the page somewhere in the lower right portion..... are they meant to be there? they seem a bit random, I figure it's a glitch. viewing in FF by the way.

finally I think I'd make the title font a little larger, but that's really a matter of personal preference...
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

This is very cool! I consider myself a bit of an armchair scientist, and I've seen other science and physics wikis and stuff, but they all seemed hard to read and kind of pieced together. I can't really find anything glaring at me that I would change. I especially think the multi-lingual thing is really good.

edit: This site is good enough I decided to add it to my delicious links.
  • penguin
  • Flying penguins
  • Banned
  • Loc: Behind you !

Post 3+ Months Ago

Great website, Great idea and i love the colour scheme, Great work!
  • Guy who knows things
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Guy who knows things
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh wow!

Just a quick comment on the design - I love the idea, but I think you could add a few more white lines, maybe a few wireframes, some numbers and other 'techy' looking stuff (with opacity turned down ofc) to enhance the theme a bit.....

Other than that, great work! :)
  • Goginski
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Goginski
  • Loc: Alabama

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think it looks great. Real Good color scheme. Only things I saw was the floating pictures down in the bottom right. But I kinda thought it was part of the theme when I first saw it, so either way. some of the links on the pictures in the top left where missing the images by about an inch. The links for the images below the white border was scooted over.
last thing I would look at in the menu a:hover text white. May be better the way it is but I would look at it.
  • p7
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • p7

Post 3+ Months Ago

Something has to be happening with the pictures in the lower right of the home page because those exact same pictures are at the top of the home page as well.

Another suggestion is I would try to break down the first part of the book into two sections because it took my old computer a little bit of time to get the pdf to come up and that may turn off at least a few people. I would try to keep each download to around 10 mb or so.
  • motionmountain
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • motionmountain

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank you all for the advice!

Christoph
  • 123bargains
  • 123bargains

Post 3+ Months Ago

Great job on the idea and the book. It's great that you are offering this. The site is good. You may want to play around with the fonts and pictures on the top to make it look more enticing. Maybe put a little more pictures on the page without having to scroll down. Otherwise very good site.
  • motionmountain
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • motionmountain

Post 3+ Months Ago

I increased the font size, and changed the font to Lucida grande. But now there is much less room for fancy graphics. I guess one cannot have everything.

Cheers

Christoph
  • c0mrade
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • c0mrade

Post 3+ Months Ago

great site! ill use this to try and pass my ap physics class :)

i tell you what, if i do pass then it will be a huge testament to this site...

really though, i like the color scheme - and the line designs. So many sites distract me from the content with flashy images etc, but visiting this site I just felt like reading.

Good job

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 11 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers