SITE REVIEW: Musician's Bio

• fuzu42

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,
Would someone mind commenting on my site? I'm a freelance trumpet player, not really a web designer, so all comments are appreciated. I will eventually be putting a picture of myself on the top right of the homepage, but I'm still waiting for the photo shop to finish developing my pics.
//removed

Thanks in advance,
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• sycofi5h
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • sycofi5h
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

interesting site i havent see to many nice colorful site with yellow and orange in it it looks good.

navigation well yes i must say goes well, but to me blends in too much to change that just make the font bigger i say but yeah it is good.

i have just noticed this now the grey background well yeah i didnt see it but now that i look at it it goes well better then a white background. well done nice.

-sycofi5h
  • 613flavah
  • battlestar
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Hurricane...

Post 3+ Months Ago

First of all, I want to say how awesome it is to meet someone from my city who comes on here. SO welcome to OZZU!! :)

Good scalable site.

I'm not too sure about all the white space you have or about the choice of colour combos.

Be careful about putting your personal telephone numbers or even address on the web. Company address/number is fine but personal, be wary.

Have your links to outside sites open in a new browser window. BY having them open in the same window you are encouraging the viewers to leave your site.

Hide sections of your site which aren't complete, by putting "under construction" or the like on a page gives off the wrong impression, it basically tells the viewer that you published without having finished. Avoid that thought all together. Whatever is not finished HIDE no need to remind the viewer that it's incomplete.

I see you have a guestbook which is a neat idea but I'd set it up so that when someone submits a comment, they won't be uploaded until you approve them that way you can screen out the baddies (bad posts ;))

You need to put some keywords and a site description in your meta data

Otherwise, the site looks fine keep it up!
  • fuzu42

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the feedback so far, I have made a couple suggested changes, but I'm still not sure about a few things.
One of the things I was thinking of when I designed this site was making it look different from everything else. I chose orange and yellow, basically because I havn't seen them up anywhere else before. One of the principals of the performing arts is that you have to be different to be remembered. I was just guessing that the same thing applys for web design. Maybe there's a good reason I haven't seen these colours much before.

I realize that I should probably modify the link colours so that the fit better with the page, but I'm not quite sure what would go. Same with the background colour. I don't really like it, but it's better than the original bright orage that made my eyes hurt.

I actually thought of having to approve posts to the guestbook, but decided that I probably wouldn't have time to approve posts frequently enough. Instead I settled on a filter that modifys swearwords, and a redirect page that pushes people's website links through a redirect (so that seo freaks don't post for the purpose of advertising)

Continued suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
//
  • otseng
  • otseng

Post 3+ Months Ago

You have a misspelling on your home page - "When he isn't practising or studying".

Some suggestions to add appeal to your site would be to have a blog or a forum. Or maybe even some MP3 recordings of your music.
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki
  • Loc: Edinburgh

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like your colour combination and site layout, easy to navigate aswell. The nav link mouseOver colours code do with changing to a darker shade of grey perhaps?

Only critacism I have is the fact the home page doesn't quite fit the screen.

Other than that, I like it.
  • ma
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • ma
  • Loc: bulgaria

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nice site
Orange and yellow looks good.
I think you could do something with this big table (Upcoming Performances ) in your home page. Border color appears blue in Firefox and grey in IE.
  • FlaFilly
  • FlaFilly
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Very nice, well layed out and interesting. Would love to see some personal pictures, maybe some sound bites/samples. I enjoyed my visit, thanks :)
  • farmer_Tom
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • farmer_Tom
  • Loc: Oaklahoma

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like the blend of orange and yellow (its rare those two colors come out looking good) and the site is pretty cool with good information. It sounds like you have a busy schedule as a trumpeter so you may want to consider some pics of you performing at different events. Cool personal site.
  • chrysty
  • chrysty
  • Loc: West Cork, Ieland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Good clean fast site; easy to navigate too.
The photo addition you mention will be a plus.
I personally do not like the colour combinations and the white spaces. but this is very personal and everyone likes something different.
However, to choose the colours to be different is probable not that great anidea; rather choose them because YOU like them or think they give the impression YOU want.
All in all a successful site; congrates!
Now, hows about a blast on that trumpet!
  • voxunity
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • voxunity

Post 3+ Months Ago

site looks good overall
  • FreeVideoCodes

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello,

Nice site you have up and running. I did notice alot of spelling erros which you might want to take a look at.
  • Silent Nature
  • Silent Nature

Post 3+ Months Ago

The nagativation is great and I would like to make a comment about your css, which is great. I can't really say much of any issues that you need to work with. Just keep updating it and build in more content, which visitors like to see.

Good job.
  • Lord Kai
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well I opend it up and find it hard to really focus on one part of the site. The colors are so aparent the text blends in. Perhaps you shoudl try a darker background like grey if not black. Another thing I would suggest is goin head and keep the good work.
  • fuzu42

Post 3+ Months Ago

otseng wrote:
Quote:
You have a misspelling on your home page - "When he isn't practising or studying".
Thanks for the help so far I totally missed the fact that I had misspelled "practicing". Thanks!

FreeVideoCodes wrote:
Quote:
Hello,

Nice site you have up and running. I did notice alot of spelling erros which you might want to take a look at.
I did a quick check, but I can't find any other spelling errors. The entire site isn't amazingly written, but hey I'm not a writer, I'm a musician. If you could point out specific errors that would be helpful.

ma wrote:
Quote:
Nice site
Orange and yellow looks good.
I think you could do something with this big table (Upcoming Performances ) in your home page. Border color appears blue in Firefox and grey in IE.
I'm not too worried about border colours for the table. I figured I'd leave it in the traditional "3d" format cuz everything on this page is curved. Both grey and blue work as table colours do work, which is why I chose blue. I actually did notice this when I was testing it myself, and I figure, as long as it looks good in all browsers, whether it looks the same doesn't really matter. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Enigma wrote:
Quote:
I like your colour combination and site layout, easy to navigate aswell. The nav link mouseOver colours code do with changing to a darker shade of grey perhaps?

Only critacism I have is the fact the home page doesn't quite fit the screen.

Other than that, I like it.
So you mean you don't like the fact that the main page scrolls? I've been thinking about changing that actually - putting all the concerts on a separate page. Maybe I'll try it now.

I agree with all comments about pictures/mp3s/video etc. I'm currently working on stuff for a CD and I'm still waiting for my photos from my professional photographer (a friend). As soon as I have a release date and pictures I'll put all this stuff up.

Thank you to all of you for your posts, even ones that I haven't answered directly. I appreciate your help.
  • Byzantium
  • Student
  • Student
  • Byzantium
  • Loc: London

Post 3+ Months Ago

I liked this site. I'm sure being web savvy will be a big asset to you as a jobbing musician...

The colour was a bit of a surprise - which is good and bad, but I assumed it to a 'brass instrument' colour theme (though the trumpet you show is silver).

Definitely needs a pic of you to add human touch - might work well with a faily large b/w image with high transparency fixed in background to page.

Nice work!
  • fuzu42

Post 3+ Months Ago

I modified my site slightly. Same colour scheme, but the rest is slightly different. Is it too busy now? Grr. Eventually I'll get those photos of me from the shop. It's taking forever.
Thanks for your help,
Alex
  • crashlmc
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • crashlmc

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello Alex,

Great job... fun and inviting. Here are some optimization tips to help with your search engine results...

1. Your first image doesn't have a name... name it the search term you want people to find you ie freelance trumpet player

2. Fill in your alt text with the optimized term. ie either your name Alex Wenzowski's, Freelance Trumpet Player or some other term you want people to find yoiu.

3. Make use of your important text ie text within header tags and links. You currently include your name, new site, guestbook and click here. Consider replacing this with target words like...

<h4>Welcome to Freelance Trumpet Player <strong>Alex </strong><strong>Wenzowski's </strong> site! </h4>

and

<h4> Alex Wenzowski's Upcoming Performances </h4>

and finally

<h4>Alex Wenzowski's Guestbook </h4>
<p>Don't forget to sign <a href="http://alex.wenzowski.ca/gbook/" title="Alex Wenzowski">Alex Wenzowski's guestbook </a>, or to send Alex an <a href="http://alex.wenzowski.ca/contact/">email</a>.

These are just things to consider. I hope that helps...

Again, great job.

Any comments on my site BlinkBits.com would be appreciated.

Larry
BlinkBits.com : What news will be in 10 years... Today!

[/img][/fade]
  • Ishii
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Ishii
  • Loc: Gilbert, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Only comment I have is regarding the performances page. You should make it so your past performances automatically fall off of the page and only show up if someone wants to view them. You can do this fairly easily in php/mySQL or there's probably a script already written for it. Anyway, the purpose is that you want to highlite upcoming performances, not taunt people that they just missed one.
  • Shigeru
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like the idea and you've put a lot of work into it. My only crit is the yellow, orange, white theme. I would go for colours which match and go with the overall site rather than going against them.

But maybe its just a preference thing.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 20 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers