SITE REVIEW: MyBannerMaker.com - Free Image Banner Script

• Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce
  • Loc: Washington DC

Post 3+ Months Ago

I decided to give the site a makeover, and I want some quick opinions before it goes live tomorrow. Please review with the following in mind:

The site is viewed primarily by 16-24 year old's from the US with a fast connection speed (information based on demographic studies and urchin webstats [now google analytics]).

The service is free, and the ads are the only source of revenue.

The site requires javascript, and images. Please don't make any comments regarding either as a negative.

Thanks and happy reviews!

Site: http://www.mybannermaker.com/tester.php
  • vidnet.4-all.org
  • Banned
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

Cool Be Sure To Use It on My site. Heres Mine

• manumiglani
  • Student
  • Student
  • manumiglani
  • Loc: India

Post 3+ Months Ago

edited
  • bizzzare
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • bizzzare
  • Loc: OC, NJ

Post 3+ Months Ago

The only thing I didn't like was Firefox ad on 1/3 of the screen on the top. I know all adventages of Firefox and have it installed but sometimes use Maxthon to check how the site looks in crapy IE. I have already met such service as yours on the net but so far yours looks much more professional. Didn't I design my banners myself I would be happy to use your tool. Will advise your site to my customers and friends. I would also be happy when you submit your tool in my directory.
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce

Post 3+ Months Ago

manumiglani, I am afraid you checked the wrong site...as the header has changed. Eek!

I am trying to get some different ads organized as well, thanks for the heads up though.

By the way, the service is not supposed to be professional. The marketing tactic of sending everything from a personal email address and making sure users can contact me easily is part of what makes the users loyal. They see it as something special that only a few people know about, and because of that they stick around. Thanks, again, for giving your opinion.

I'm not sure what you mean by "links" to change the size of the banner...I have them...they are just at the bottom...there are a lot of options and they take up a large portion of real-estate, so I stuck them in the cheapest place...I'd rather not force users to try to learn what numbers make what size, which is why I have provided the samples with the correct size and dimensions for users that are more tech-savvy.

As far as the 'home' link, I have always been one for making sure users know where they are going, as well as letting a search engine know. 'Home' is not very descriptive, unless the user knew they were there before.

I appreciate your review, if you wouldn't mind, try checking the new site (http://www.mybannermaker.com/tester.php). You'll see I went ahead and linked the header to the index (which will be the banner maker). It redirects to the old site for now, but it won't when the new site goes live.

Bizzzare, the site looks the same in IE as it does in FF...except for the firefox ad. This is something I feel strongly about doing before Windows Vista comes out and Microsoft controls the fate of the internet (scary thought).

BTW, the banners aren't for ads or anything....they are basically a replacement for saying "Hey whats up" on your friends webspace in plain text.
  • -Cody-
  • Born
  • Born
  • -Cody-
  • Loc: USA, Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

this is actually a very well wrote script :) ill be using this
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks Cody, I worked hard on it. =)
  • Kap-Vu
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Indianapolis, IN

Post 3+ Months Ago

this is pretty useful to people that suck at photoshop..but it's kinda sucks you put that link on the corner. somepeople might not want that.

after all that said, i think i would change the order of things on the page.

you should have the option to choose the size of the banner first so that everyone can have the size they want first before they modify. i didn't know there was a different size til i got to the bottom.

also if you have the registration thing at the top, you might get more people to sign up instead of using the free feature.
  • daniel.g.wood
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • daniel.g.wood
  • Loc: England

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't normally review websites, because I don't visit Ozzu too often, but, having looked at a few to pass the time.. I have to say I'm glad I did.

This is an excellent website, well laid out, easy to use, good language use- not too formal, nice and friendly, and a sweet script.

The only criticisms/suggestions I could come up with are:
-I'd recommend the use of a simple CSS on your form elements- unfortunately the default button looks slightly dodgy when paired with a black background.
-Your use of copyright at the bottom of the page isn't quite right I don't think..
You have: All content © 2005. All rights reserved.

Wheras the structure is supposed to be:
PROPERTY (All Content) Copyright © YEAR YOUR NAME/COMPANY All Rights Reserved.

So your copyright statement would be:
All content Copyright ©2005 YOURNAME. All Rights Reserved.

As far as I know.
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce

Post 3+ Months Ago

Kap-Vu wrote:
this is pretty useful to people that suck at photoshop..but it's kinda sucks you put that link on the corner. somepeople might not want that.

after all that said, i think i would change the order of things on the page.

you should have the option to choose the size of the banner first so that everyone can have the size they want first before they modify. i didn't know there was a different size til i got to the bottom.

also if you have the registration thing at the top, you might get more people to sign up instead of using the free feature.

Well, I get what you are saying about the link...but the service targeted at Myspace.com users...they are used to this...and I haven't heard a complaint about it yet...and the service keeps growing.

The size thing make sense when you put it like that...maybe I will add a dropdown towards the top that allows you to pick a size in dimensions, or click a '?' link to see samples.

Um, I think you got confused towards the end there...there is no charge...at all...it's all free...registration just allows you to track your banners, and it gives me a marketing advantage called visitor loyalty. :wink:

Thanks for the review!

daniel.g.wood wrote:
I don't normally review websites, because I don't visit Ozzu too often, but, having looked at a few to pass the time.. I have to say I'm glad I did.

This is an excellent website, well laid out, easy to use, good language use- not too formal, nice and friendly, and a sweet script.

The only criticisms/suggestions I could come up with are:
-I'd recommend the use of a simple CSS on your form elements- unfortunately the default button looks slightly dodgy when paired with a black background.
-Your use of copyright at the bottom of the page isn't quite right I don't think..
You have: All content © 2005. All rights reserved.

Wheras the structure is supposed to be:
PROPERTY (All Content) Copyright © YEAR YOUR NAME/COMPANY All Rights Reserved.

So your copyright statement would be:
All content Copyright ©2005 YOURNAME. All Rights Reserved.

As far as I know.

Is it possible that you will login, read this, and reply with what you mean by "dodgy"? Not likely, I know, but I have to ask. Information on what browser you are using, as well as a screenshot of the problem would be very beneficial. Thanks!

There is no wrong or right when it comes to the copyright notification. It isn't even required by the government for it to be covered. I simply put that their as a note to those wondering if the banners/code is free-domain or not.

Thanks for picking me on your short trip to Ozzu... :)

Corey
  • alnuke
  • alnuke

Post 3+ Months Ago

this website uses a good colour scheme. its layout is also good.

but unfortunately there is firefox ads right at the top of the site. some visitors may not like it.
  • daniel.g.wood
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • daniel.g.wood
  • Loc: England

Post 3+ Months Ago

Haha, sure. I realise its probably not obvious what I meant with "dodgy".

Heres the screenshot you asked for:
http://www.space-conflict.com/screenshotbanner.JPG

Just a little thing, but it just irritates me. Same thing happens on firefox (1.0.4) and MSIE (6.0).
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce

Post 3+ Months Ago

alnuke wrote:
this website uses a good colour scheme. its layout is also good.

but unfortunately there is firefox ads right at the top of the site. some visitors may not like it.

Well, I am making a healthy $20/day off of it and saving the internet. It stays, so please refrain from commenting on it.

daniel.g.wood wrote:
Haha, sure. I realise its probably not obvious what I meant with "dodgy".

Heres the screenshot you asked for:
http://www.space-conflict.com/screenshotbanner.JPG

Just a little thing, but it just irritates me. Same thing happens on firefox (1.0.4) and MSIE (6.0).

Thanks for pointing it out. I don't think it looks too bad personally, not that I have any choices either. It is from my Google AdSense account...so I can't tweak with the looks of it...per their policy.
  • musicbiz
  • musicbiz

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think this is realy a usefull tool for a lot of webmastyer i'm gonna tell all my nuddy's about this site.
btw GREAT SCRIPTING!
  • Mephistox
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Mephistox

Post 3+ Months Ago

this is a really great site.

Only thing you can improve in is the fonts and backgrounds (ok, two things). Add a few more, especially my favorite - Matisse ITC :) (you can download it and others here)
  • fut
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • fut

Post 3+ Months Ago

link doesn't work...
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce

Post 3+ Months Ago

The host (illhostit.com) decided they couldn't handle the traffic...and cancelled my account...l-o-v-e-ly huh?

I am waiting for my new dedicated server with Lunar Pages to be setup (up to 16 more hours), then the site should be back up and running within a day of that.

Thanks for the compliments. I'll see what I can do with that font.

:)
  • bleepnik
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: South Jersey, US

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wow, they terminated it instead of just suspending it?! Yeesh...

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 18 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers