SITE REVIEW: MySpace's potential successor?

• bluephoenix
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Perhaps, perhaps not. I'm tired of MySpace's crappy design and coding, not to mention barely any features, and other sites suffer the same lack of design. My concept is a bit bigger and more encompassing, but right now I'm working purely on the design aspect. It's without a name at the moment, but without further ado, I give you "Site:" http://www.ligerexpress.com/er

It is not functional at the moment. I'm both trying to think of a name, and find a coder to help with the backend, security, etc. However, just think of the design of the actual page.

(PS: I realize that MySpace is probably a frowned-at idea on the more intellectual of us, but that is why I'm trying to "outdo" it.)
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• big_uk_ebuyer
  • big_uk_ebuyer

Post 3+ Months Ago

Get what you are trying to do mate, but you have far to much information on the front page, less is more with profile sites. Check out http://www.faceparty.co.uk for the kind of idea i mean

cheers
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Richland, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Like big_uk_ebuyer said, the front page of a site like that shouldnt have much on it. Also it should not be displayed like a blog. Make them little boxs so its yeast to look cross the page.
  • bluephoenix
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

That's not the point. It's not necessarily the "front page." The 'join here', 'take tour', etc are just to fill it up a bit. This is more or less the 'home' page, where you're taken by default after logging in. Some things will be added, others removed. The specifics of the actual page function will be optimized later. I asked specifically for design critiques. My initial post was rather vague, so I can't say it's your fault. (Though, it could be argued that function is part of design, I'm speaking aesthetically.)

SpooF wrote:
Also it should not be displayed like a blog. Make them little boxs so its yeast to look cross the page.

The 'blog-like' appearance is attributed to the fact that this page, unlike many of the hundreds of pages that will eventually fill the site, is meant to display information, and is structured with that in mind. The best way to demonstrate the difference between this informative page and others is by example, which I am unfortunately lacking. I'll change that soon, but I'm still hung up on the name of the site.

big_uk_ebuyer wrote:
less is more with profile sites

It isn't a profile site. Profiles are a large part of it, but it's much, much, much, much more than that. I recently posted a blog entry with some intended features, and you can read through those for an idea of where it's going. Essentially, however, that is just the tip of the ice berg. Too much, you say? For one person to fully grasp, indubitably. But that's the beauty of it: it's meant for multiple people of varied backgrounds to experience. The majority of features can be controlled through the use of the user control panel, and you can essentially narrow its feature count down to that of MySpace, or have a living, breathing social experience. It's the power of choice.

I realize that little to none of this is covered in my original post, but I wasn't much for words when that was posted.
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
That's not the point. It's not necessarily the "front page." The 'join here', 'take tour', etc are just to fill it up a bit. This is more or less the 'home' page, where you're taken by default after logging in.

So this is the users "profile". Or is this the "Main page" after login, witch is different than the Index (first page when someone types in your URL). Im confused of what this is because I have different replyes for each.

If your just asking about the color and the design it self, as in object styles, NOT the layout. Here is what I have to say.

It looks dule and mellow. Im not sure if this is what your looking for or not. If your looking for something to replace MySpace then your going to need to do more. Myspace is jumpy and has alot of color. Its exciting. Every personlizeable. The only thing that cant be done is reorganize where things are layed out.

On the layout side of this The first thing I see when I go the site is sign in, stats, and news. Not many people care about the news or the stats. Coming soon is a little more interesting. If your going to try and advertise our site on the front page I would move the Profiles to the top so there is something for people to click and browser. Most people's first imprestion of a site is the front page, and only what they can see. If they have to scroll to see the good stuff then they probably wont see it.

That just some advice on when you lay things out.
  • bluephoenix
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've realized that I have some research to do before seriously considering the plausibility of such an extensive site. I've decided to dispose of this layout (or at least 'retire' it, because I feel that it could hold potential for other things) and design another one, not just because of the criticism held of this one, but because I personally feel that it was more or less just an attempt to materialize the idea.

I'll be back. :)
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ill be waiting to criticise your next template :lol:

Not really but I hope your next one rocks the socks off the last. If you get this design down and a good rock solid concept for the content I think you would work your way to the next big "myspace".
  • orcrist
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
I'm tired of MySpace's crappy design and coding

i had a suspicious feeling that crapy design is partialy reason why are they so succesfull, i mean, look:

Quote:
Myspace is jumpy and has alot of color. Its exciting.

so one mans crapy is another mans colorfull. youd do better with with 48px blinking font, loads of gradients, animated cursors, and rasta color scheme on black bg.
  • wassy
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • wassy

Post 3+ Months Ago

nice site, but im not quite sure whats going to be different about it than myspace.com also not the best layout or color choice (a bit dull)
  • gommer683
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • gommer683

Post 3+ Months Ago

Needs work if you want to take out myspace.
  • ablaye
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • ablaye

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, dream on. You think you can take on Myspace?

Anyway, I checked your site. It isn't bad. You need to add more graphics and more lively colors.

Otherwise, it is excellent for a start.
  • lobbr
  • lobbr

Post 3+ Months Ago

It is a good template to start on. I definitely agree that myspace is pretty ugly and unusable. However, I heard rumors that AOL is launching their own myspace killer very soon, so you will have more competition if you plan on rising to the top. Also, many consider facebook the myspace killer.

Lobbr
http://www.lobbr.com *in beta
  • bluephoenix
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I thought this thread had died. ;)

Oh, well. I guess nobody followed the previous discussion; the current design is an old one.

Seeing as I lack a programmar to assist me, there's no way I can realize this site. Until then...

As for the skepticism... it was expected. I don't think any site can necessarily replace or knock MySpace from its mantle, simply due to the fact that the site has built up such a reputation, but I know that, from a usability and entertainment standpoint, my idea would blow MySpace out of the water.
  • Lukus
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Lukus
  • Loc: UK - Essex

Post 3+ Months Ago

With no doubt it would! But as with many a great idea, you need the follow through. Do you now have a programmer to assist you, are you looking for one, etc?

I personally like the idea of the site, think its a great concept, it's just about pushing through and not giving up after a few knock backs and thriving on the positives ;)

Good Luck all the same! I'd love to see it up there with the likes of myspace/faceparty, etc :)
  • bluephoenix
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Lukus wrote:
With no doubt it would! But as with many a great idea, you need the follow through. Do you now have a programmer to assist you, are you looking for one, etc?

I personally like the idea of the site, think its a great concept, it's just about pushing through and not giving up after a few knock backs and thriving on the positives ;)

Good Luck all the same! I'd love to see it up there with the likes of myspace/faceparty, etc :)

Thanks. :)

In regards to a programmer -- no, I've not yet found anyone.
  • alexmos
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Europe, RO

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sorry... but your link is not working for me :cry:

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 16 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers