SITE REVIEW: MyTravelTale

• mytraveltale
  • mytraveltale
  • Loc: New York City

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey all,

I just started the site a few weeks back. the site is about travel tales, pictures, tips and much more. http://mytraveltale.com/

I'm pretty much new to PHPBB and site designing. I would appriciate any comments and suggestions that will help me to improve my site.

Thanks,

Moin
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce
  • Loc: Washington DC

Post 3+ Months Ago

I didn't muck around for too long, but I do like what you've got going. At first it is a little vague, but once I read into it a little further I appreciated the way you played the words. Instead of "Locations" or something similar, you name the section "Tales of Continents"...I like that.

The colors play well with the theme as well.

I would check out istockphoto.com ($1-$5) or sxc.hu (free) and get few nice stock images of people on vacation. I would go for a beach with clear water (think corona commercial), the Grand Canyon, the eiffel tower at night, and maybe something in Ireland or somewhere else with lots of green fields. You hit basically everybody with these. Just display one behind your logo (perhaps slide that sucker off to one side) and keep them changing (random on each load).

Also, the site is running ad free right now, but have you considered putting some Google Adsense ads up there? They help pay the bills, and if you line your ducks up right you can make a living off of them. There are sites out there that are achieving a 20% click-through-rate and making over $1,000 daily off of them! I am personally sitting on a 2% CTR with poorly targeted ads (working on it) and still making about $75/day with them and my site opened November 1st!

Good job overall!
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce

Post 3+ Months Ago

Whoa. I just found the miniscule 'picture' link you had and I about fell out of my chair! Way too much yellow there pal...ditto on the green. Try to match that page to have the same colors as the site!
  • Wiper
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Wiper
  • Loc: Norway, Oslo

Post 3+ Months Ago

The site is nice and so is the Idea but the very first page I thought looked unproffessional. you should get some new buttons and maybe reconsider the overall-color you use.. I know blue is very standard but.. that yellow is... too much yellow. And the enter-image on the first page doesnt fit with the bgcolor either..

To the forum itself if you're gonna win visitors you should consider getting your own theme. something is related to traveling.. and that theme's set up is nice but again. the colors looks.. so "easy"..
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wiper, those colors that look "easy" are perfect for the site. They are actually what you could call reccessive or relaxed colors. They calm and relax you, which is perfect for a site about taking a vacation.

I notice everyone around the forum talking a lot about professionalism and websites, and frankly, this is getting to me. A website doesn't have to be professional if it is a personal website, or the webmaster isn't concerned about looking professional. We are here to focus on how to make it look better and serve better it's visitors. Not to tell them it doesn't look like Java.com.

Bottom line, while I disagree anyways, this site does not have to look professional. He isn't selling anything, so why make the visitors feel as though he is?

Corey
  • alnuke
  • alnuke

Post 3+ Months Ago

some vivitors will like the colour used in the website.

the colour used in the forums match the one used in the coppermine gallery. this is good.
  • wobseek
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • wobseek

Post 3+ Months Ago

nice clean layout
i like the color
  • mytraveltale
  • mytraveltale
  • Loc: New York City

Post 3+ Months Ago

thank you guys for your valueable comments.

Truce: We changed a few things on the site. We added adsense and we're doing pretty well now. I liked ur site a lot.

We'll be working the the colors.

We're working on the dynamic URLs now. It;s taking us forever but we'll get there soon.

Thanks you all for your reviews.

Moin
  • WhozWoody
  • Loc: Whittier, NC

Post 3+ Months Ago

The intro page may need the alt tag added to show that it leads to your board.. Once you get to the board everthing seems to be well laid out..

As for the pictures added, I would consider protecting them with the no right click code to prevent unauthorized copying of them..
  • onemillion
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • onemillion
  • Loc: Baltimore

Post 3+ Months Ago

Home page is ok, simple, but I dont think the template feel of the picture formum, its not personal enough, I would think if someone wanted to tell about there travels it should be a bit more personalized and not so templated. As for the idea, its good, a friend suggest something similar to me the other day!

Good luck with it!
  • azshah
  • azshah
  • Loc: Toronto

Post 3+ Months Ago

The site looks fine but for me the coloring scheme is a bit too flashy or shiny may be its my monitor hard to read white text on yellow shiny color...the yellow is fine just need to be a bit less shinier also the forum page and the pictures page is totally different try to be consistent through out the site.....overall very nice work congrats
  • netguard
  • netguard

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would make the welcome screen a bit different, I would have a good description of what is on the site, this helps search engines categorize your site.

Webbbs is a great forum script fast easy and best of all free.

Overall a good looking site, good luck with it.

Kim
  • OCMarissa
  • Born
  • Born
  • OCMarissa

Post 3+ Months Ago

i really liked the homepage :) its a nice theme to talk about. I think people will really like your site.
  • LanaST
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

I really like the idea of the site. I would agree that the home page needs to be a bit more personal. It doesnt fit with the rest of the feel.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 14 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers