SITE REVIEW: Neat Gift - holiday gift idea site

• DMX

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've been working on this website for several months in my free time. The idea is that visitors can look in the center area if they know what they want and the left menu if they don't. It's without tables for those that are interested in that (index anyway). http://www.neatgift.com

It's been up for about four weeks and I'm interested in some feedback in any area.

I'm aware of the zillion or so validation warnings, mostly from the query stuff.

So, now I'll just strap my little helmet on and take my medicine...
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• peterrod
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Overall you've done a nice job; looks professional. Personally, i found your site a bit too busy; you have a lot of content, which may be overwhelming for some (like me) - but that's just my opinion.

Your search bar seems a tad obscured; i would change the background from light-green to white and perhaps slightly increase the dimensions so that it is more apparent.

Finally, i would even-out the shading on your div tags so they're all the same height...you’ve done that with your images, now do the same for the shading. If for no other reason, it would be asthetically appealing.

I give your site two thumbs up!

btw, your avitar is hilarious :lol:
  • DMX

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for your input.

I think you're right about the search. The problem was, I tried to let the page scale down to 800 pixels wide, if that was the users resolution. That makes pixels really special.

I'll take another look at the div tags, but for me anyway, it's not as easy to force css to do things. If I put height="100%" somewhere the entire page heads for Florida.

Your post was exactly the kind of thing I was looking for.
  • jamesallen3333
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: bedford UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Like the site overall.

Mabey you should be thinking about moving away from using tables now.

For search listings and standards
  • DMX

Post 3+ Months Ago

jamesallen3333 wrote:
Like the site overall.

Mabey you should be thinking about moving away from using tables now.

For search listings and standards

Thanks for the review.

The index doesn't have any tables. The other pages start out with CSS and includes. A few use tables though in the center area. I'm working on that..
  • critter
  • critter

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

This site reminds me of the highly successful InterFlora redesign...it is busy, but it navigates well. The pictures are not too cluttered and there are clear divisions between sub-headings. I feel that if I needed a gift for a certain type of occasion, I'd be able to find something immediately.

I think you should consider separate loading pages for each of the horizontal menu items past *Home* instead of using page anchors...the navigation becomes a little confusing, especially when clicking *return to previous page* (this just bounces you up and down on the secondary page that includes site navigation, FAQ, etc)

I keyword site search may need a little attention: *boy* returned a Sweetheart teddy bear in a red dress and wine hamper. The rest of the site is so well laid out, I'm wondering if you need this at all until it's running really well.
  • DMX

Post 3+ Months Ago

critter wrote:

I keyword site search may need a little attention: *boy* returned a Sweetheart teddy bear in a red dress and wine hamper. The rest of the site is so well laid out, I'm wondering if you need this at all until it's running really well.

critter,

Thanks for the reply and your thoughts on the site.

You are quite right on all counts. You seem to recognize that I am running around trying to get things ready for a bit of traffic. I expect things to be a bit awkward for a little while, while I balance my time between content, trouble shooting, and promotion. It's been interesting...

I appreciate the candor. I'll work on the bear.. It's a fields search for boy anywhere in title, description and keywords... so, I don't know yet.
  • jdrost
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • jdrost

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wow looks like you did a lot of work putting this together. It looks professional but as was already mentioned it seems a bit busy and a lot of information for one page.

Keep up the good work though.

http://linkdirectory.tripple-d.com
  • jamesallen3333
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: bedford UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

In your first post you said about the pages not validating, if it's due to the dynamic url's try this tool, I am going to use this on my store (when I get the time)

http://www.webconfs.com/url-rewriting-tool.php :wink:
  • DMX

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks jamesallen3333,

I don't have access to .htaccess on the server where I'm hosted. I think your tool or a similar feature are planned if I can ever justify a move to more features and speed. Current hosting seems fine except for this issue.

jdrost -

As you say, Ive heard this a few times. I may actually make a lighter weight index and experiment with that. First though, I have a lot of work to do in the content and features area... I bit off more than I realized :)
  • COLDCUTsMITH
  • Loc: croatia

Post 3+ Months Ago

..everything looks great and well done but like some1 just said, a bit 2 busy for my taste too,

Im not seo pro but may be you should check your keywords, (to many gift words)
..iv got banned from G index months ago for same thing, unleast i couldnt find some other reason.

1ce again, im not seo expert, every thing looks great
  • fatbooggy
  • fatbooggy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Looks good, I like the overall layout.

One things is I think there's too much on the font page. Hard to find what you want because there's to much for your eyes to look into.

fatbooggy
  • DMX

Post 3+ Months Ago

More than a few suggesting it's a little too busy. I'm starting to think it's all true :)

COLDCUTsMITH -I have removed a few instances of gifts, because I agree with that suggestion. I am getting to a point where I only change things incrementally though.

Thanks to all -
  • KeithB
  • KeithB

Post 3+ Months Ago

Personally I think the site looks great and the front page is definitely not too busy. It reminds me of my wedding favours dot com which if you search for wedding favours always comes in the top of the searches.

Have you built or are continuing to build a good series of in bound links/ I don't know how old the site is but it looks to have every chance of doing really well after its time in the sandbox.
  • DMX

Post 3+ Months Ago

[quote="KeithB"]

Have you built or are continuing to build a good series of in bound links/ I don't know how old the site is...quote]

Thanks for thoughts. I'm working on links right now. The site's maybe 5-6 weeks old. I worked on the layout longer than that though..

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 15 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers