SITE REVIEW: Necropolis

• FiveseveN
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Nowhere

Post 3+ Months Ago

the link: http://necropolis.xonedesign.org

The notion: a collection of graphic novels designed and produced by me and directed and photographed by the Xone Design crew (me and Makavelli).

Any feedback is welcome. Plus, if you would like to publish your own story, please read http://necropolis.xonedesign.org/mail.html
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Mas Sehguh
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I will mainly comment on the About Necropolis document. First, however, I will talk about your site in general.

The site is very well done, because it draws all attention to its content. Users are given a very clear navigation system. I would not want to change your site's overall structure and design one bit.

Now, about the About Necropolis page....
First of all, I noticed that you used a table to try to control vertical layout. This is completely unnecessary. You can just have the block-level elements following one-another in logical progression. This can be done without a table.

Second, you could stand to use ordered lists where applicable, instead of paragraphs. The alignment and relative indentation of the document's indentation could be improved. Right now, it sort of runs together, in an unsatisfactory way. Then again, maybe you like that the way it is. It is a matter of taste, after all.

I don't think you meant to put a space between "2." and "Photography".

I wonder if you realize that you have the WTC in the middle of your opening Web page. Does this mean you're referring to New York City as being a Necropolis? Maybe you are, but perhaps you didn't mean that, and the use of such imagery is then not a good idea.
  • Willy
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Willy

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have to scroll to read the text at the bottom....

My comment would be to fit everything on 1 screen

I posted a link to my site on here and i have an adult link, and it got yanked in .00001 seconds
  • FiveseveN
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Nowhere

Post 3+ Months Ago

About using tables and such: I know Flash and Photoshop by heart but my HTML skills are less then evolved... As long as it doesn't produce cross-browser inconsistencies, I see no point in striving to optimize my code (that is, for 't would be quite an effort for me).

However, I am intrigued by Willy's reply. You were most likely referring to the actual content of the issue. As you might have noticed, the image fits perfectly on 1024 x 768, the text being an auxiliary element. So the idea is "If you wanna read more, you'll just have to scroll down a little." Doesn't the fact that the text is hidden for the average user contribute to the atmosphere? Will the world never grow tired of having everything available all at once?
And... what was that about adult content? I wouldn't say the content is rated mature. There isn't a drop of blood or a bit of nudity. And I didn't see any guns fire... perhaps someone who's in the field could settle this.

P.S.: I know I used the WTC in the logo but it has nothing to do with the terrorist attack. Its use is strictly graphic-related. Plus, I'm not american and I remain neutral in the matter.
  • Beren
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Beren
  • Loc: Lost in Wilderland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Like this site a lot (allthough it is strangely freaky when you read the texts)... would not change to much (except the table history mentioned above)

Do not know which font you are using for the text but maybe try Frankie (is almost similar)... but somehow cleaner.

Cheers, keep up the brilliant work!
  • mr_darek
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

I really like the concept. Great photogaphy work and I really think you executed displaying the beautiful images superbly. I like the type treatments, color scheme - you really did a great all-around job.

My only crit is that when I am clicking next through the photographs, each page should have a way to return to the main menu rather then completing it or getting to the section which give you an option to go to whichever section you want - there should be a consistent navigation with that throughout.

Otherwise, fantastic job!
  • Mas Sehguh
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

As for the table layout, it pretty much does nothing to layout the About page, and could just be removed. But then again, if you just keep everything as it is, your site's layout will be far better than most.

As for adult content: It's nothing kids haven't been watching in cartoons since the age of six.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers