SITE REVIEW: NeoGoddess.com (Critique Me)

• She God
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: California (Land Of The Cackling Sun)

Post 3+ Months Ago

<a href="http://www.neogoddess.com" target="_blank">NeoGoddess.com</a>

Hello, I just recently re-designed my website, and wouldn’t mind some good criticism. Most of the people I showed it to are my friends, and they’re not much help. Most don’t even have web pages, so of course *they’re* impressed. Hard to get some good criticism from people who have no idea what’s what (And they wouldn’t want to hurt my feelings if there *was* something they didn’t like...Awwww)
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

simple site, nice and soothing color scheme. But the splash page doesn't
fit the site's design at all. kinda threw me off. It's quite nice tho, but I
would suggest trying to tie it all together a bit more.

On a second note, any particular reason you have a splash page at all?
All I see on your site is html, and nothing loads too large. Just curious...
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

It does quite throw you off, but it matches your blog!! (which by the way needs the links working after you click on one of them :-/) I prefer the splash page and blog, over the other scheme. The page loaded a teeny bit slower then I expected it to, nothing to worry about, because it is still loading faster then mine! :-D. I love your art, its very very good! And I had to double take your fan art, quite nice comic skills (wasn't sure if you made it for someone, or someone made it for you, thus the'double take')!

Overall I would LOVE to see the rest of the page done with the photograph layout over the current one, it just would fit better!
  • She God
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

UNFLUX: Oh I know *kicks a pebble* My splash page matched my old layout. I did it a year ago and I was so proud of it at the time. Then I really didn’t know the implications of a useless splash page I’ve debated about whether or not I should just trash it when I redesigned my site. Since it’s a personal site, and it’s more about my vanity and my creativity, I’ve decided that it should stay. If it was a popular site that you looked at daily, maybe I’d throw it out, but it’s usually more like a one-time deal.

Gives you an overall impression on what I’m all about…weird little artistic stuff. Maybe someone will come back in a month, but by then they probably wouldn’t even remember the splash page, so it’s re-introduction. I am trying to make a new one to match my new layout, but nothing good has come out so far.

So now that I’ve finally gotten the advice I wanted, I just ignored it and justified why.*Shakes her head and laughs*

b_heyer: Really? You rather see the blog layout up? I love the banner, gives me happy thoughts just looking at it. But... overall I wonder if it wouldn’t be a tad bit plain for the rest of my site. It’s good for single text boxes, but I wonder if it would look sort of cluttered if I tired to add all the content from my site into it. Nevertheless, I shall play around with it and see how things would look.

Thank you both for your comments, I have now something to think about when I twiddle with my site.
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Maybe you could use a different image? I like the idea of incorporating the photos as you did for the splash and the blog, perhaps someway you could create a style for the main pages.
  • She God
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hmm, maybe I’ll try that. Actually most of my sites are picture-orientated, I was trying to go a different direction this time. Usually they’re very flat, without many variations for color. <a href="http://www.neogoddess.com/pages/myself.htm" target="blank"> Last Set </a> Heh and blue, I can't help myself, everything must be blue. This time I at least added the gold color to try and give it more life.
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have to say I loved your splash page for the other site "You babble I scream" or what not! You have a knack for using those photos but making it look awesome!!! I definatly support your yearn for change tho :-P
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

well, i didn't mean to come across that it was a bad splash page or
anything like that. I just thought it should be more cohesive. Although
your point of the site as an artistic one is a point well taken, and I
understand that completely. I'm just anal about things matching.
  • She God
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

b_heyer: Yes, I must say, when I made that little splash page for my babble and scream site, I was really happy with it. Sadly I think I’m going to kill it off. When I re-launch it I’m hoping *crosses fingers* that it will become somewhat popular. And since people might want to look at the page one a day, a splash page might be annoying. But...fear not, I might keep it on another page, and when I throw links around, I’ll point it there. We shall see.

UNFLUX: No, I understand, I have my own anal-retentive behaviors as well. Since I just recently redesign my site, I really haven’t gotten anything new for the splash page. I’m trying to learn flash and I’m hoping that after a bit of twiddling I’ll have a splash that matches my site. Thank you for all your comments, I really should incorporate a more useful splash page. I was also thinking about making it a mini-portal to all my other sites.
  • dr nick
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • dr nick
  • Loc: Frankfurt

Post 3+ Months Ago

Overall: great site, the colors are easy on the eyes and the images all look great.

When I first loaded though, I thought the fonts were too big for the left column -- it felt a little cramped to read (although I liked the content). But, I thought it had more to do with my font-size settings for my laptop (which are scaled 125%), and I saw that your font size is defined in pixels.

But just to check, this is what I'm seeing for line breaks in the first column:

Blissful
Delusions:
Ever wake up
at 2am
screaming,
“What the hell
was I
thinking”? For
almost
mundane..

Also...on the things you like, you mispelled leonard cohen, unless you're talking about another artist!?
  • She God
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hmm, I’ve never thought to test my site on a laptop before. But if you’re settings are set so that the text %25 larger, no wonder it looks awful. I need to learn CSS and their ways of dealing with text, so I don’t have this problem..Bah

And yes..I misspelled it. I actually kept it after I noticed it because I get five or six hits a month with people spelling the same way. Yay! I get people who are Typo-heads like me. I thought that since no one would find it typing it the correct way (too many searches) I would at least get some hits for the horrible mistake. I am such a bad typer, I never re-read my messages and will sometimes write the same word three times in a row and not even notice. Tsk.

Anyhow, thank you for your message, it was rather helpful.
  • dr nick
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • dr nick

Post 3+ Months Ago

In terms of CSS, I'm not sure how much it will help you resize the fonts so that it looks ok on systems that scale their fonts.

Normally, even with people with laptops, the results will be fine. The only reason I had to scale my fonts is that I have a 15" display with a resolution of 1600x1200, so the normal system fonts are too small too read comfortably.

I've designed a few webpages on my laptop, sized the fonts according to pixel height, and then seen godawful results on 'normal' computers in the 1024x768 and normal size font views. Urgh!

Sometime I'll have a closer look at it, and I'll get back to you if I find out anything useful ;). Maybe I'll start by posting a new thread.
  • dr nick
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • dr nick

Post 3+ Months Ago

OK, I started something in Webmaster Forum >> Website Design Discussion >> Normalizing font sizes on systems with scaled fonts. We'll see if anything comes of it.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 13 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers