SITE REVIEW: neotipsandtricks.com.learners website

• MsNovice
  • MsNovice

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.neotipsandtricks.com/

This is my learners website. Before I started working on this, I knew nothing! I started off trying to create a content intense website, and realized I needed to learn basics before anything else.

I decided to make a fan website based on a virtual pet website, because they are popular and it gave me the opportunity to really focus on learning how to create a website. After I feel I know enough about design, html and seo to really create something I feel is marketable...I will:)

But for now, I am just learning and practicing on this website. I have not gotten to the forum yet, so do not bother reviewing that...as it is simply attached...but not really a part yet.

I'll probably have to learn a lot more to make it look any better. But...I don't even know what else to learn at this point. Sooo....

I'm looking for any critique, any suggestions...no matter how small! And if your suggestion comes with a BIG change that may require advanced programming know-how...please include a few tips or a guide if you can!

I used the sitewizard.com and nvu

Thanks so for go to ...jumar112!...Penguin!...Easton and JasonStanley:)
  • jumar112
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • jumar112
  • Loc: Ohio, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I personally do not like black backgrounds but the header and footer and side panels are good colors though.

I love the little chicken! (or is it a duck)

On the handy neopets links the links were very difficult to read with the color scheme used......but I do like that it is alphabetized.

It took me a moment when I read "feed the webmaster" to get it.
then I did get it - (the link does not work though)
  • penguin
  • Flying penguins
  • Banned
  • Loc: Behind you !

Post 3+ Months Ago

I dont think that the place goes with the purple colour, Mabye think about changing that black colour for something more suitable.
  • easton
  • easton

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ah yes neopets. I played that a long time ago. But as far as the site goes here is what i reccomend. Try getting more of a colorful and interesting site design. Gradients and such make great additions. Designs made of tables and solid backgrounds look unprofessional, try using images in the background such as a repeating gradient in the header with a logo for your site. Good luck :)
  • JasonStanley
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • JasonStanley
  • Loc: London, England

Post 3+ Months Ago

After going to the website I still don't know what it is about :s
  • MsNovice
  • MsNovice

Post 3+ Months Ago

jumar112 – Haha…I think it’s a duck. I changed the color scheme all together, and now the links show up very well. I also changed the “feed the webmaster” contact us…as that is the last thing I want to confuse people as I’m relying on feedback to help fill the site with content! Thanks for your review! It’s nice to hear the good along with the bad! And it was very helpful.

Penguin- Apparently black is not a popular background color! When you mentioned suitable, I instantly thought of using similar colors as neopets uses. It does look better. Thanks

Easton- After reading your review, I decided to change the site to a less boxy feel (although it obviously still a tables). After a few hours of trying to make something with Microsoft paint I decided to move on, and come back to that. Hehe…I miss psp2! Still working on it though! Thank you very much, your review was very helpful also.

JasonStanley- Anyone who finds my website be running a search for it, is pretty much going to know what it is. However, I did heed your warning, and tried to create a better little intro do what it’s about. Thankya.
  • penguin
  • Flying penguins
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

I see that you have changed your colour scheme. It looks better than the last one and looks more attractive.
  • easton
  • easton

Post 3+ Months Ago

Image I was bored and did a quick throw together of something I could let you use on your site. I don't have the time to throw it into HTML and/or CSS form and break the images down but if you would like to use it give me a shout at easton [AT] Image2life.net
  • penguin
  • Flying penguins
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thats a nice looking colour scheme. Great work.
  • Benat
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I really like that layout. Nice work easton.

MzNovice, honestly, I would scrap the whole site, its great for a first attempt but its not really appealing to the eye and makes me want to click away quickly. You need to soften the colour scheme, and scrap the 4 column design. The shoutbox does not need to be a feature of the homepage, and your menus needs to be the same.

There are many great CSS resources avaliable on the web. Theres a list here http://www.ozzu.com/website-design-forum/css-resources-t83503.html it will help you learn how to design a great site, with the help of CSS.

Also I am assuming your site is not for profit, in that case, you could generate yourself a little revenue by placing a few google ads around the site. :)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers