SITE REVIEW: My new article site

• frih
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

hello everyone,

here is my new site, well it is still under construction.

but i will be happy if u can look at once.

http://www.3mh.com

thanks all :D
  • desertland
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • desertland

Post 3+ Months Ago

The first thing I notice looking at the site is the strange color scheme. The turquoise color with the bright orange text is overwhelming - it's not all that comfortable on the eyes.

The site also contains a number of sharp edges, jagged corners, and inconsistencies. For example, all the boxes on the right-hand side (with a white background) have square corners, but the white box on the left-hand side has rounded corners. Also, in firefox 3.0.10, the rounded corners aren't aligned properly - they are sitting 1px below the top of the box. This 1px difference makes the rounded corners on that box look a bit strange.

I quite like the "3mh" logo you have on the top left of the site. It looks nice and modern. Redoing the site design in that style would really help add a look of professionalism to the site.
  • tastysite
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Brighouse, West Yorkshire, England

Post 3+ Months Ago

I do have to say I aggre with desertland its very nice and shows good hope.
Im not going to repeat DL so here is my advice on top of thers

• Most sites have the logo linking back to the index page
  • FeedBack really should be "Feedback" (no caped B)
  • And you mobify the way you have the pre bits of the article before the ...... thing because it cuts words in half at the moment

Hope this helps
  • extr3m3
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • extr3m3
  • Loc: Bucharest, Romania

Post 3+ Months Ago

U could try to make a more advanced site. It is not very nice. But I know you could do a better one if u try harder. Good Luck !
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Before I get onto design, let me get on the layout part of the site. The layout you've got is certainly functional and gets the job (of sharing information) done, but there are too much space between the header and the main body.

The first thing I have noticed on the layout is a lot of empty space, and then the logo, more empty space, and then the content and the navigation blocks.

There is also quite a bit of space between the right navigation blocks and the right-most blue edge, that is just unnecessary.

Let me try to explain my point here. When a person who speaks and reads English visits your site, the first thing s/he will see is the top-left portion of your site, since English is read from left to right, from top to bottom.

So in theory and common sense, you would put the most important thing on the top-left portion of your site... such as the logo, like you've got there. So what next... will the person look left to the search box, since it the topmost and right? To fit how Enlish is read? No, the content box is bigger and whiter and dominates the search box, so the eyes go there quite easily... practically on their own.

That is what you want to achieve (and you did), but a bland site like that would keep the user bored, unless you've got EXACTLY what they need.

Let me bring in an analogy here: consider ozzu here... would it have gotten to where it is right now if it was simply a white background and black text? And possibly <hr />'s to divide the different sections? And also some tables to create some rows?

It probably would have died right then, unless the webmaster posted some really really good posts to keep the user's interest in the site and making them involved with the conversations and the board.

Obviously, you've got some color in there, I don't know if the color scheme you chose is "strange" since I think the design is a bit "strange", which to some, may seem as the color scheme's fault. But I think that no matter what color scheme you put there, would make that color scheme "strange".

After the content box, the navigation blocks and the search box becomes noticed and use...

Let me talk a bit about the logo and the favicon you've got going there. Sure, the logo is functional as well, and fits well with the color scheme you chose, but I think that it is missing something there. I don't know what, but I think that something is missing.

The favicon though, is functional, like many things I've mentioned... and will mention, and I think that it is good... just that "copy" graphic of the bubble is unnecessary. Really, they've got that graphic there at the top, and you can't read the "3MH" in the bubble... looks a little like 'link' actually.

Alright, now to the design. I have mentioned a few things related to the design before, but let me restate some things here...
  1. It's too bland
  2. Too much of empty space
So far, I've got only those two, but let me stress the importance of them.

Let's start with #1: The site is a little too bland... has barely any "eye candy". Although it's a simplistic, spartan design, but I think it's a little too Spartan :lol:

You need to put in some pictures there, take some empty spaces out and completely redo some parts there.

The spaces make the site seem too empty...

Credibility && Notice

Linking to two sites that are reported for phishing, doesn't help your credibility... especially since you're powered by one of them (nameinbox.com).

I gave you a review on the design in hopes that you could get your design practices fine chiseled, but I am in no way a supporter of phishing in any way. I would never post to any of your comments and give out my email when your site is powered by a phishing site... that gives me the idea that is what you do.
  • frih
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks all for teir reviews, specially bogey and desertland.

i want to learn designing, can someone suggest me a good tutorial or site for this?
  • OnlineNursing
  • Born
  • Born
  • OnlineNursing

Post 3+ Months Ago

you site is nice. but it has unmarked PR..
  • Matthew
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Tips:

1) I feel there is a lost of wasted empty space. I have to scroll down to see some of your content when I shouldn't have to. Why make someone "work" to see your content?

2) Your article links feel like ads. The site generally feels like an ad. It sort of turns me off from wanting to keep viewing it. If I wasn't required to stay on your site to keep reviewing it, I probably would have closed it down by now.

3) Your site loads slow. Very slow. It could just be me and this time, but clicking on your first article, http://www.3mh.com/viewarticle.php?arti ... omain-name, took about 30 seconds for the page to show. This means lost visitors. I'll let other comment on this to make sure it's not just me.
  • YoutubeMP4
  • Born
  • Born
  • YoutubeMP4

Post 3+ Months Ago

its very slow loading and wierd design
  • greatlogix
  • Born
  • Born
  • greatlogix

Post 3+ Months Ago

YoutubeMP4 wrote:
its very slow loading and wierd design

Agree with YoutubeMP4
You are missing professional looking design for your site. Its seems you have modified a kid site template.

Try to learn something about mod rewrite and generate SEO friendly URLS. It will help alot in SE rankings of your articles.

http://www.3mh.com/viewarticle.php?arti ... s-the-king
In FF on the right side there is lot of empty space. Fill it with some ads or push up "GoTo" box.
  • ipenev
  • ipenev

Post 3+ Months Ago

My thoughts go with extr3m3. You need to think of better design.
  • findme
  • Student
  • Student
  • findme

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think you need more improvement on your site. The homepage looks like an advertising place. It is full of other information.
  • bambosi
  • Loc: Indonesia

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's under construction :)
  • hjshlovethy
  • hjshlovethy

Post 3+ Months Ago

ah, your domain is attractive, and your website seems good
  • chrisinbc
  • Student
  • Student
  • chrisinbc
  • Loc: Victoria, BC

Post 3+ Months Ago

Looks like you gave up on your website as it now is a "domain parked" page that you are trying to sell. Hope you have better luck with future endeavours.

Chris H.
  • chrisinbc
  • Student
  • Student
  • chrisinbc
  • Loc: Victoria, BC

Post 3+ Months Ago

The first thing I noticed is that the first page of your website has no actual content - mainly advertising. This turned me off from your website right away...a few minutes later...I see you are trying to sell your domain...that explains why your entire website is spam. On top of that you have a pop-up advertisement, which most people block and/or find annoying.

Chris H.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 16 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers