SITE REVIEW: New design approach

• Vector
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok, i come up with a new design approach for this new subdomain that i hope is more contemporary. I don't really like it, but others seem to favor it over the original design. I miss the original design... What do you guys think?

http://realestate.ionisis.com/

I am, notoriously, NOT a designer. Period. So i cannot understand what the competition is doing right, that i am doing wrong. I spent a day examining their sites, and i noticed that they had some common traits:

*) Almost NO text on the page! A paragraph, maybe two, 4 short paragraphs at the most.
*) A LOT of images! I hate images, and feel that they clutter up the real content....
*) "ORDER NOW!", All over the page. That seems like you are harassing the visitor, to me.....

As you can tell, i'm obviously not much for marketing either. So i am trying a new combination of page elements:
*) A SINGLE image (not a whole bunch of them), that attempts to quickly convey what the site is for, and what to do next
*) A reasonable amount of text, to explain the same
*) Some sample images (probably not the best idea, the way i'm doing it, though...)

So, i'm gathering feedback on this approach, and i'm running it for a couple of weeks to see where it gets me...

I just KNOW that there is a magic combination of on page elements that will catch and keep the user's interest and confidence. I just wish i could figure out what the heck that combination is! Until then, it's trial and error.

Thanx!
  • hnstpl
  • hnstpl

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi Vector!
Seems no web standard has been taken care in the new design. I would recommend to get more tips from our ozzuvians.. here more and more people can contribute for your better site revamp.
Thanks and Regards,
Rajan C
HnS Technologies!

Note: Content play major role that too presentable content only reaches the global on different SEO and SEM aspects. But the major requirement of content is missing in the new site. More over the sitemap also need to be to taken care.
Will come up with few more review report shortly.
  • ayona
  • Born
  • Born
  • ayona

Post 3+ Months Ago

one picture is missing in the home page otherwise it is a good design
  • Ionisis
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hmmm, i wonder why i was never notified of a reply to this topic....

Oh well, thanks for your msg, hnstpl and ayona.
  • TwistedClip
  • Born
  • Born
  • TwistedClip

Post 3+ Months Ago

I really dislike the design concept, I suggest trying to go web 2.0 STYLE instead.
  • Toolbox
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Toolbox
  • Loc: CyberSpace

Post 3+ Months Ago

i can not find much wrong with it really apart from the guy's hair looks like it had a plastic wrap in photoshop haha but really when i first got on the site i was a little confused about what it was and what to do so all i could suggest is a better blurb or a slogan across the top.

nice work
  • manman008
  • Born
  • Born
  • manman008
  • Loc: HK

Post 3+ Months Ago

I feel your site is slowly, and i cann't open it, is't have much pic or flash?
  • Ionisis
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

That's nearly impossible. I have one of the fastest server configs of any webmaster i've ever come across. I also use as few images as needed because i don't care for them, and i don't want them using all my bandwidth. I have dedicated servers. I don't think speed would have been an issue with my sites.....

I wonder if that post wasn't just a post to get your numbers up....
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

The thumbnail images in the "Our previous Real Estate Website Designs" section are definitely a lot larger than they need to be. 25-40 KB is pretty heavy for thumbnails that size. I'd move away from using the PNG images and go with JPG.

Can you tell the difference between these two files ? One is 4 times the size of the other.

Attachments:
Realestate-1.png

Attachments:
Realestate-1.jpg
  • Gofigure
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Gofigure

Post 3+ Months Ago

I love the design very unique have not seen much sites like this i do agree however it does need 1-2 more images and possible shorter background for your slideshow frame other than that i'd rate it a 9/10 cheers!
  • Ionisis
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, jpg would definitely be much smaller, i agree. The screenshot program for Linux dumps to png, and i just left it like that since it was only a few images.

Thanx!
  • casy001
  • casy001

Post 3+ Months Ago

so my opinion.
i like the idea with changing pics in the header but it seems to be not professionally made.
i don't like the font of the title. first of all it's hard to read it. then it doesnt fit together with the rest of the site's design. besides i can't get where is the logo.
so i think you should look once more at your site with a new "vision".
  • ndpm
  • ndpm

Post 3+ Months Ago

is a nice site.
It feel a slow site and i have very good internet speed.
the other thing is the gut holding the house in his hand i really dont like it,is something with his hair.
but in general i like the site
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ionisis wrote:
Yeah, jpg would definitely be much smaller, i agree. The screenshot program for Linux dumps to png, and i just left it like that since it was only a few images.

Thanx!

It might be worth seeing if you have convert installed on your system.

Code: [ Select ]
convert screenshot.png screenshot.jpg

Depending on which Desktop you're using, it might be simple enough to add a context-menu script that pops up when you right-click an image.

I just think "the program outputs PNG" is a flimsy excuse. This is something that should be considered with images any time you work with them for the web. :)
  • walandio
  • walandio

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nice site it looks good to me. i think a little quality of the images will make it look better.
  • Toolbox
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Toolbox
  • Loc: CyberSpace

Post 3+ Months Ago

Not sure if it has been mentioned yet but what is the DPI of the guy in the suite. i can see each pixel and the hair looks like it had a photoshop filter attached to it. i remember seeing this site a while ago and i remember it was similar but it works.

The way i look at some rules of design with marketing is that if your market is a business man that is constantly moving and no time to sit down for 5 minutes you would want less text and more image so they can read what it is about and get the task on and move on with their day but if the product has to do with; example computer games where vast amounts of time is spent in front of the screen then your going to need lots of content for them to read or they will get bored and move to a commercial based web site of the same genre. That 30 second impression margin to get their attention is a pain to spread across all markets.

my 2 cents really, hope it made sence
  • portal
  • Born
  • Born
  • portal

Post 3+ Months Ago

nice site....
  • nikkyn
  • nikkyn

Post 3+ Months Ago

Look good but I don't like you logo and pictures, it's not attractive.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 18 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers