SITE REVIEW: My new website.

• bkummer
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Butler, Pennsylvania

Post 3+ Months Ago

Check out a web page myself and friends are creating for the game America's Army. Let me know your opinions. Now remember we are not paying for a domain.

http://geocities.com/wfd_wilmafingerdo

Any advice is good advice!
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• UniquelyYoursPC
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Canada "A"

Post 3+ Months Ago

i think your in the worng place
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Welcome to OZZU bkummer. Your post is temporarily locked until you've read our rules for requesting reviews. To view the rules just click the New Topic button in this forum. After you've made 3 quality reviews for other people one of the mods will unlock your post and you'll be able to edit your link back in.

Thank you bkummer. I've unlocked your post. Click the edit button on your original post to add your link back in.
  • bkummer
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Anto/TW:

Thx for the notification, sorry about not post any reviews. Apparently, i did not read the R&R about the web forum. I do appericate your thoughts and concerns about my new site. I will be more active in the production of the forums.

Only together can we accomplish many things!

HOOAH!
  • balko
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • balko
  • Loc: Lancaster, Pa

Post 3+ Months Ago

um, the writing is kinda confusing. You don't really know who is what. Maybe you set that up in a table...
  • SharkShark
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Living In Today

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well I must say its hard to miss those images. and that text sure makes for some easy reading. I guess. To be truly honest it really needs some work. if it was huge on 1024x768 (my resolution) then it will be gigantic on 800x600. It really is not surfer friendly. Images are ok but too big. my suggestion, take everything, scale it down and put it in a proper layout and you may have something.
  • Rat
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: desk

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey. Seriously? You really need to work on that site. I mean, the pictures really are too big, not aligned properly. The site is a basic site, the navigation is too big. You might wanna take some basic HTML coding lessons. You also might wanna look into using a template for a while, at least until you learn some better coding. Sorry, but thats the truth.
  • bkummer
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Rat: i appericate you thoughts on the mistakes that might have made with the design of the web site. I am take some critism but i designed it in a 1024x768 mode not thinking that some might actually use the 600x800. I use a 30 inch monitor at home and dont think about the little people.

The site was done with Dreamweaver MX and Fireworks. I have had the basic html, asp, & java classes. When you get used to a large screen you forget about some of the smaller items. I will see what i can do shrink the size of the site and make everything in small print for the people that use the 600x800.

All advice is good advice!!
  • SharkShark
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

wow Rat!! The request was for constructive criticizm. not all out blasting!
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

SharkShark - I don't think rat blasted him. I think he gave a valid critique and I agree with him. He basically called it like he saw it, and that's the same way I see it.

P.S. for bkummer - it's 800x600 res...not 600x800 The horizontal res is always first. Also for reference, I suspect the average monitor size is around 17 inches. It might be a good thing to give the "little people" a little more thought.
  • SharkShark
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

I know, Rat is my best friend I was mostly messing with him :lol:
  • bkummer
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

believe me i know i am not perfect! Not even close. All I can do is just make the changes that you suggest. Otherwise, i would not have posted it for comments. I will be working on it this weekend to make some of the changes.

Thanks for your comments!

i do know it's 800x600 not sure what i was thinking. Just a little backwards. HEHE

All advice is good Advice! :P
  • gonetwork
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

i think you need to get out of geocities , and get a domain or hosting that does not have a big ad. The logo is nice, but i think the site is very plain. Maybe some more graphics?

If you want some free hosting on a subdomain contact me at manager [at] godonate with 'free hosting' in the subject.
Atleast there will be no crappy popup ad.
  • bkummer
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks for the remarks. This is only a trial web site. I never created a web site. I just wanted to play around. Since, i took the classes about 2 years ago i never applied to the real world what i thought i knew. Once, i get the handle as to what people like and dislike, i might get a subdomain. Geocities one way to start to play with the designing. Whenever, i fully understand Dreamweaver to the fullest will i post a real web site.

Thanks for the advice

All advice is good advice! :P
  • puKKa
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Sweden

Post 3+ Months Ago

dame dame...
I dont like youre site at all, sorry :/
I think its very confusing and it took me to long to figure out what game you were playing :)

A menu would be good, sothat you CAN navigate and so it dosnt get as confusing as it is atm.

the site loads really slow, probably the host, If you're not using any extra exept HTML and Flash you can use http://www.home.no a nordic host, 25MB, free, no popups, any files(I think, I have both .zip, .rar etc. on mine). Sometimes a bit slow but often works fine.
  • bkummer
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, sorry about the site. I just recently removed it. Since, i had soooo many complaints about the layout of the site. I post the home page as UNDER CONSTRUCTION.

The slowness to the homepage was due to adding some FLASH that i have been trying to create. I apologize for the inconvience. I am currently working on developing a new home page with an easier navigation menu. I will continue to develop the changes through the weekend.

AGAIN, thanks everyone for your replies to the web page. I will take each of your suggestions and "ATTEMPT" to create better pages. Something more exciting, smaller pics, and an easier navigation.

So far, i have obtained a 17" monitor and only set it 800x600 screen size. I am going back though my Dreamweaver book for suggestions on developing a better more user friendly web site. All of the constructive critism is very helpful. If i didn't want any advice i would not have posted the site.

Thanks Everyone for your individual inputs!
  • SycomCOmp
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

GEOCITIES

1)free
2)adds
3)did i mention free lol

You can let these sites go and they dont cost a thing so I'm all for geocities :twisted: But in all honesty being hosted would be nice, if it was FREE! oh yeah!

BTW
Keep working on your site even though it's in geocities, I never got to see the first product of your work :x

adios
SYComcomp
  • xBLEEDINGxMETALx
  • xBLEEDINGxMETALx

Post 3+ Months Ago

U are on the right track, but it looks a little lame :wink:
  • bluedragon
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • bluedragon

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nice site man I figured it out ez but some advice: register a .tk domain until your ready to purchase a .com or .net
  • bkummer
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

xBleedingxMetalx:

What do you think looks lame. Suggestions? I will try to help make this a little better. I have been trying to work on as much as i can, to make this site more user friendly. I did add the pop-up display when you mouse over on the left side of the ARMY OF ONE image. I just wanted to let users know that...It is a piece of crap and i am attempting to work in it.. HEHE.

All of your suggestions will help me in designing a better site!

All advice is good advice! :lol:
  • SharkShark
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

xBleedingxMetalx: if you are going to tell someone that their work is lame. Tell them why you think that. When you post a review you should give constructive criticism. Not just say whether it is lame or not.

bkummer: You are doing real well so far. I already gave my review before, but here is a suggestion, try using photoshop and draw out your site first. Then turn it into a webpage. You will be surprised at how quickly you will be designing proffesional looking pages. I have very graphic intense sites, so it really help to have it all laid out in a blueprint before you get started. Keep up the good work!!
  • bkummer
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thx Shark Shark! I will just keep hitting the drawing board! Every change i make is somewhat closer to actually looking like a real web page! :lol:

All Advice is good Advice!

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 22 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers