SITE REVIEW: NeWavEssays

• denniscrash

Post 3+ Months Ago

:!: IMPORTANT: Only review after you read my comment till the end.

Hi,

this review request is somewhat different from others. I don't ask you to "review my site and tell me about what i can improve", but i ask for a specific, certain type of review.

1) when reviewing, please decribe your relation to web design (e.g. user, professional designer, etc). Experienced webmasters and e-commenrce entrepreneurs, please identify yourself, couse your opinion i will value more (sorry, the rest of the folks).

2) understand the objective of the site. the main goal is to make money through that online service. how? to have the user arrive, scan the page, get convinced that we are the one, go to order page and place order. the objective is to assist the user in such a form that he/she feels no obstacles to order placement

3) some info about the clients: he or she (client) is a student, lazy one. consumer involvement is way below average. they want the product now and quick.. they need their homework done and they want to get that homework burden off their shoulders right now.. its not a car or house, or a luzury item, so they wont do research and compare tens of competitor sites before order, but rather arrive and order, if they get convinced and dont face obstacles...

4) what i expect from reviews: answer one simple question:
what are the obstacles users face on their path from landing/home page to the payment?
you may come up with issue in graphic design, technical design, uability, accessability, texts, information structure, layout or any other issue, so go ahead and let the steam off..

please describe in as much details as posible and be objectively critical...

thanks

site is http://www.newavessays.com
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• denniscrash

Post 3+ Months Ago

thank you dear fellow webmasters for so many great constructive reviews, i will surely follow all recommendations... thank you all very much
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

If I'm a student the first thing I'm going to want to know is how can I be sure my parents aren't going to look at my credit card statement and see I cheated ?
  • denniscrash

Post 3+ Months Ago

I appreciate your sympathy :)

Hope for a lengthy and constructive reviews similar to my own :( but it appears only you care :(
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: In the Great White North

Post 3+ Months Ago

Site seems to be down for me... So unless you want a review of a blank page you'll probably have to wait until tomorrow. :-)

By the way thank you for the quality of reviews you've been posting. All too often reviews around here are the minimum required be able to post a link and try to generate some traffic. I'll give your site a few hours and try to return the favor with a detailed crit.
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok the site appears to be back now so how about that review.

First of all I need to say that I don't really agree with the concept of the site. As an educator, I've found that 90% of learning really does involve doing. However, I understand that you're simply providing a service and this critique isn't about your business model so I'll try to keep my personal bias out of it.

#1 I'm a professional interactive designer. If you need proof of my capabilities click the link in my sig.

#2 & #3 Got it.

#4 I'm going to keep this pretty general since there are quite a few high level things that are likely slowing conversions.

The first thing that strikes me is your blue on white color scheme. These colors are not action or purchase colors. Typically blue/white evokes a very calm lazy feeling and so right at the start you limit user's desire to continue looking through the site.

Second you have way too much written content on your pages. Most people are unwilling to read large blocks of copy to figure out what you do. I would assume that lazy/hurried students are even less likely to put in that effort. Your home page has about 6x the copy that I would recommend and the copy at the top of the page doesn't make enough of a sales pitch (that's the goal of all the site content remember). Something to the extent of "We can help you improve your grades and save time all for a low cost" is pretty much all you need to convey.

In addition to the amount of copy, your navigation and action content isn't well separated from your informational content. I would highly consider using more graphic like buttons and icons to help lead your viewer through the process. You need to make it extremely easy to visit your site and within a few moments know exactly where to click to make a purchase. Use action colors for these objects to help user intuition. I would also recommend that you dedicate a certain amount of the upper right of the page to a "buy now" type button and a starting price.

Your pricing structure (from the home page is complex and hard to understand). You will likely get more purchases if you blatantly state a "starting price" and then allow people to add on additional services as you go along. Most purchasers want to feel like the price is good (I'm getting a great deal) and to be in control of the purchasing decision (add on services). You'll find that most purchases will still add on these additional services which you would could have bundled for a higher price, but they'll feel better about it because it was their choice.

I would revamp your order form to include more steps with less information required in each step. Conventional wisdom says fewer clicks are better but this is beginning to be disproven on ecommerace sites. I think you should also reorder the steps ever so slightly. Here's what I would do.

Step 1: Purchase options (time frame, number of pages, etc) and provide a valid price at this point in the process based on the chosen options.

Step 2: Add On services (be sure to show the price changes)

Step 3: Personal Information (Name, email, etc) Make sure to collect this info even if they cancel after this step.

Step 4: Payment info (paypal, CC, billing info, etc)

Step 5: Review and purchase

Step 6: Purchase Confirmation and paper details. Waiting until the purchase has occurred will force users to provide you detailed and accurate information about what they need since they've already paid for it and want to get their money's worth. So use this step to find out about topic, title, citation type and so on.

That should be plenty to help you convert more traffic into actual sales. I think you should try to view your site as a potential customer would. Step back a bit and think like a user and the process is usually highly enlightening.
  • denniscrash

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for a constructive review, graphixboy. That was exactly what I was looking for.

Waiting for more reviews.

update:
oh, btw, graphixboy, would you consider creating design? please drop me a PM line please..

and one more thing... one of my competitors (brightmindsnet.com) has even a more passive site, but has relatively many orders.. can you please provide a short comment on why you think this happens (ignoring the actual services behind the site). thanks
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

denniscrash wrote:
and one more thing... one of my competitors (brightmindsnet.com) has even a more passive site, but has relatively many orders.. can you please provide a short comment on why you think this happens

After a quick look at that site, I agree its very similar to yours and I have a number of the same arguments about that presentation as I do yours. I would think that it simply comes down to traffic. Lets assume that both your sites convert roughly 1 of every 100 site visits into a sale. If your site gets 25,000 hits a month and the other site gets 100,000 hits a month thats going to be a big difference in conversions that has very little to do with the actual design of the site. I'm guessing you don't have any idea what they're traffic numbers are but there could be many methods in place (campus fliers, paid links, etc) driving traffic to their site that are pretty much transparent to the competition.

The catch is that its really a numbers game. You can make a site really really easy to use and still receive fewer conversions than a site thats really hard to use but gets massively more traffic.

I've found that there are 4 parts to getting conversions on the web.
1. Having content that people want.
2. Making it very easy for users to make a purchase decision
3. Connecting interested parties to your service - typically search optimization (making it easier to find your site in a search, etc aka SEO)
4. Connecting to non-interested parties to your service - this is the user that follows a few links into your site and then your sites sale's pitch convinces them to make the purchase (Online Marketing/SEM)

Ideally all 4 of those parts figure into your web strategy since they all work together to generate revenue.
  • denniscrash

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks again.. btw, according to alexa, my site has significantly more traffic... maybe their traffic is highly targeted... no idea... anyway, thanks
  • ps3pro
  • ps3pro

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello there i am a amateur website designer . I just looked at your site and to me it was boring , as stated above it has to much text for the relevant subject.

1. I would definateley do something with your headers as they don't stand out.

2. Make the site have less blocks of writing and more fancy graphics.

3. You explain your full website on the homepage (use the about us page for some of the jargon)

4. I know when i go to a website to buy something i want to see examples and pictures of the product that stand out. ie dave from canada was happy etc

5. Make a fancy looking essay in one of the blocks that people can click on to buy.

6. Explain your prices better and make them stand out ie offer something like "For this week only 20% off" Make your customers look like there getting a good deal. Have signs with prices crossed out and the real price next to it . As everyone loves to think they got money off.This worked wonders on 1 of my sites.

7.When i click on prices theres no where i can see HOME to get back to the homepage. i know how to by clicking on the top left logo but you'll be surprised how many people don't know this.

8.Offer your tutorials for $2

9. OR if your selling essays then why are you giving basic tutorials on how to do them yourself . (that defeats the object)

Thats just my critisism as theres no point in me telling you how good it looks as that would be pointless
  • denniscrash

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks guys... i now understand what are the major problems.. i am now working on the new layout.. please tell me whether i am on the right track.. here is the beta version of the new layout.. thanks
  • ps3pro
  • ps3pro

Post 3+ Months Ago

Now that looks profesional. It isnt boring , The price stands out , looks like it gets used a lot as customers are commenting :)

My only critisism is the logo . Make your logo stand out and take a bit of time making it.

Overall good job and 1000 times better than the original
  • krates
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • krates

Post 3+ Months Ago

you must improve the banner.. i like the site simple design ...
  • alex0811
  • alex0811

Post 3+ Months Ago

the logo area needs to improve.
you'd better leave a padding-top space as well as a padding-left space for the site's logo.
  • matrix100
  • Born
  • Born
  • matrix100

Post 3+ Months Ago

ur site is good but it need little bit improvement in banner and logo.
  • denniscrash

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks guys, your comments are very encouraging. I will work on improving the sample design and the logo. Anything else to add?

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 16 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers