SITE REVIEW: Newbie HTML

• bluedragon
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • bluedragon

Post 3+ Months Ago

My friend if a newbie to html and I think he has done a great job for only knowing it for 2 weeks. Well his website is http://www.reddragonlf.tk/ Tell me what you think and I'll let him know the pro's like it.
  • Tone2k11
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Tone2k11
  • Loc: Southampton - UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think it is good for his first site. I dont like the titles that he has used because they look like the word art you get in Microsoft Word.

The buttons are cool.

Over all its a good start. Tell your friend he has done a good job :D
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

bluedragon wrote:
Tell me what you think and I'll let him know the pro's like it.

Oh really? What makes you think that the pro's will like it!? :P

It's nice. I liked it as soon as I saw the word "spiffy"! :shock:

Its a basic layout, but there is NOTHING wrong with that.

It is very nice site, and bearing in mind the two facts that it is a first site, and that he has only been doing this for two weeks, I would have to say an excellent site with full marks awarded :)

Tell your friend if he keeps it up there may very well be a future in it for him :) well done.
  • bluedragon
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • bluedragon

Post 3+ Months Ago

I will and I say your the pro's to him cause you all know more than he does and if he knew you he'd probably look up to ya :)
  • favouritelink
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: seattle

Post 3+ Months Ago

If this is your first website then it is ok. But I hope if you build the next one don't us frames its easy to build but also very easy to make mistakes.

The one mistake in your site that I found is if you click "welcome" and then you click the button "click here to enter" you will see your site twice. This is also why I don't recommend frames it's better to use shared borders (also easier to program). To fix this problem you could delete the button that opens your welcome page. Anyway good luck whit your next site.
  • Sonire
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Sonire

Post 3+ Months Ago

Excellent for his first site. Basic layout, but it gets the job done. Well, give your friend a pat on the back and tell him it was from Sonire.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm just wondering why you don't invite him to OZZU and give him the chance to participate?

The red on black is hard on my eyes. I understand the red is significant, but red on white or some other background color might work better for me. To not sound contradictive, I use 1280x1024 res and wear bifocals. The text is clear enough, it's just the colors that start to do funny things with the vision when they are on top of a dark background at high res. It's better if I lower the res, but I like my higher res for graphics and pictures.
  • DR01D
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

not a bad first effort, probably better than my first website. atleast he didnt use 300dpi images lol ;-)

some of the design elements could be worked on like titles, like tone said, id kill the word art... nasty stuff ;-)

tell ur mate to start playing with css (stylesheets) that will help with keeping the content design of the site consistent.

certainly is very spiffy though, in fact the more i look at it the more spiffy it gets.
  • jubilaki
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

for a first site and only been doing html for 2 weeks its an awesome site
tell him with the problem of the frames dubleing up when you click on the welcome another thing you could do is make a fake index page and call it like index1 or something and direct it to the page news.htm page not the entier frame

another thing i see that his useing dot.tk and his got the banners running so tell him to turn them off but if he wants a banner which would be very weird tell him to change it to a better one at least there is about 20 that you can chose from

but for a first site 10/10 heaps better than my first one

oh and when i started out i used word for me heading and now i know that there really not good tell him to make some it paint shop or something
  • Hacker007
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Riverside, CA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like the buttons, im guessing he knows a little java as well to make it swap images. It looks a lot better than my first one. But ya, its pretty nice for his first. But the word art is a little lame no offince.
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Aldershot, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

The alternative to frames is server side includes that are actually MUCH easier to use than complex frames. You will need a server that supports a server side language like PHP.

Here are some posts I have made about Server Side Includes:

http://www.ozzu.com/other-search-engines/meta-tags-frames-pages-t22739.html
http://www.ozzu.com/programming-forum/including-file-t22545.html
http://www.internet-marketing-research. ... 25988.html
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce
  • Loc: Washington DC

Post 3+ Months Ago

Is he just using HTML to code the website? If he is just learning HTML it's unlikely he knows javascript so I'm guessing the buttons were done with something like Yahoo PageBuilder or Frontpage. Possibly a different third party button/menu builder also.
  • bkummer
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Butler, Pennsylvania

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am not throughly impressed with this site myself. The entrance page is nice (except for the word "Spiffy!" What's up with that? When you get to the next page, you have a lot of wording really close together. Can you make you red text a little more brighter?

Overall, your first page is working well! What are you using for your html desinging?
  • iamthesimpleone
  • iamthesimpleone
  • Loc: Austin, TX

Post 3+ Months Ago

The red and black text is very difficult to read. Also, the changing of the style of pictures on the dates is akward. I would also drop the frames, and use tables for layout, very simple to do, just when you create the table, set the border to = 0 Also, after looking at it, some of the frames cause the page to load up two sets of the buttons on the right. A good start though. I remember my first site, it was done in flash....argh!!! Took forever to make. Good luck, and keep up the work

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 14 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers