SITE REVIEW: *Newly completed Scottish Painting website*

• ausmeister
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • ausmeister

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello eveyone, my first website I've submitted for your scrutiny, hope it can hold-up! Basically I'm simply asking for feedback on the layout.

http://www.highlandpaintings.co.uk

It's a simple website, with only six pages, and built with tableless CSS/XHTML (even validates :!: ).

Anyway, as aformentioned, simply seeking feedback on the design, and how it looks/breaks in your various browsers/monitors.

Thanks in advance for any comments!!
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello, welcome to the site.

I am very impressed with your website. The font is good, the colouring is good, and the introduction is good.

I noticed the website was a template you/your client must have bought as the 'home' and 'biography' pages are full of the rubbish the web designers put in when the site is originally sold.

I am from Scotland and i am really looking forward to seeing how this site unfolds. Perhaps when you have your introduction you should mention what this site is about as i feel this will give your visitors a clearer idea. I say this because, when you open the website it takes you directly to the information of the Highlands, and some may think this is another website about the history of Scotland even though the domain name suggest other.

Good site though!
  • ausmeister
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • ausmeister

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank you so much for replying!!

Actually, I designed the site from the scratch in photoshop, and put together in Dreamweaver MX 2004. As I stated above the site's content is not so important at the mo, it was the design I was looking for feedback on. The lorem ipsum latin filler is standard placeholder text in print & design.

Obviously the home page needs a bit more work on making sure the visitor knows what they're getting themselves in for...

If anyone else reviews this site, please disregard the text, as it is filler for the moment..

(Note, the URL now points correctly at the home page, and not the info page as it did when SB kindly reviewed the site above)
  • Ashes
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: The bosom of Dixie.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi. I love the design. It's clean and elegant.

The only suggestion I have is perhaps decreasing the text size of the h1 headers. It's not really proportionate to the rest of the site, at the moment.

Edit: Also perhaps add a little padding to the left side of the home link.
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ashes wrote:
Hi. I love the design. It's clean and elegant.

The only suggestion I have is perhaps decreasing the text size of the h1 headers. It's not really proportionate to the rest of the site, at the moment.

Edit: Also perhaps add a little padding to the left side of the home link.

I think you have a point here Ashes. I was thinking of this a different way though. If there was only one default size for the main font then i would recommend that. I dont see the purpose of having the two different sizes of fonts for the main text. The larger text looks alot better with the Heading ashes was talking about. It actually makes the site better in the larger main text font.
  • Ashes
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

How about reducing the header size and then making it so the header and the main text both increase?

This way they could keep the different text sizes if they liked without compromising the design.

Edit again: Also the main menu accesskeys work fine for me.
  • ausmeister
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • ausmeister

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for your invaluable feedback so far! :lol:

The point of the switcher is an accessibility feature. The client is an elderly gentleman, and elderly people, apart from being befuddled by the net in general, don't have the greatest eye-sight, and so the increase text size allows them to boost the font size (a reasonable 12pts by default) to 15pt at the click of a button.

Have added the padding, and altered the h1 tag size now... any thoughts?

(Gonna leave the style sheet switcher in cos I like it as a feature..)
  • daremedy
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • daremedy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your site displays great in I.E. and Firefox. However, in Firefox I noticed something strange with those access keys you have going on, I'm not sure if the same occured with I.E., the access keys are displayed in the header. Not on every occassion, but sometimes. I took a screenshot of an occurence, as I thought this would be hard to explain!
The same also happened with access key 1. Anyway, I'm not sure if its just a location glitch on your javascript end or the browser, and to be honest it didnt happen too often, but it did happen! So something to look at. Design-wise, your navigation is awesome and the layout looks just as good, very simple and straight forward. Throw in your meta description/keywords tags and you're well on your way.
  • ausmeister
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • ausmeister

Post 3+ Months Ago

That is very strange!! I've never had that happen to me this end while I was developing the site. I simply put the accesskey in the link attributes (i.e. href="bob.htm" accesskey="1" title="Accesskey: 1">, which then appears when you mouseover the link (no javascript just plain ol' xhtml). I'd like to think that's a client/browser error, but who knows!!

Thanks for your review, I see your a very active member on this forum, so high praise indeed!! :oops:
  • Ashes
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

It looks a great deal better.

Though perhaps decrease the space between the header and the main text?
  • ausmeister
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • ausmeister

Post 3+ Months Ago

Experimenting now, although the CSS is being stubborn in Firefox.. will have to see! Thanks again for your thoughts... I agree, it does look better now! :P
  • Dubya
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok, first thing, content is key to web development. So not being able to judge by content will give you an inaccurate review. However, since this is what you have asked, I must say, great design. It all looks clean and navigate easily. The header font-family seems a bit blocky. I would prefer a smoother font over the one you currently have. But besides that, I noticed you have server side validation on your contact form, and that is a huge plus. You might also add a javascript validation script as well so you can validate on the client end ferse, reducing some of the burden from the server side. Besides those two things, great site. I love CSS, and I think it's great that you are sticking with web standards. I look forward to seeing your site with more content. Make sure you let us know when that happens.
  • ausmeister
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • ausmeister

Post 3+ Months Ago

No problem, and thankyou for that fank appraisal! Good point on the client validation, I think I'll definitley implement that! As for the blocky header font, it's Gill Sans Condensed/Arial Narrow depending on what's installed. I reckon it's legible enough so I'll leave it, but a point to remember for future development. I'll let all here know once the final site is complete (i.e. contewnt wise, meta tags, SEO & image gallery.
  • otweb
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • otweb

Post 3+ Months Ago

I too have to comment on how great the site looks! I love the simplicity, which is obviously what you are going for seeing as the client and end users will mainly be from an older generation.

The layout is very nice. I like that fact that you can change pages, and you barely notice that it is a different page. The only constructive comment I can muster up is that you could maybe use a reset button on the contact form. I'm not really familiar with this "accessKey" thing, so I'm not sure what it is exactly. I assume that they are supposed to be keyboard shortcuts or something, although nothing happens when I press any numbers in both IE and FireFox.

I'm curious as to what type of image gallery you are going to incorporate. Will it be dynamic, or offer online purchasing? I am currently developing a complete flash photography site, with a completely dynamic image gallery. The photographer will simply create folders full of photos, upload them via ftp, and they're on the site. Definitely something to consider if you haven't already.

Anyways, great work and keep us posted on the final version.

Cheers,
Mike
  • ausmeister
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • ausmeister

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks very much for the comments dude, and yes the reset button is a feature I think I'll stick in. As for the accesskeys, they're necessary to pass the 508/AAA validation at the bottom of the page, which is a necessary evil. To get them to work you press alt & the number/letter (on IE you might have to press enter). Idea is for people who are unable to use a mouse to still navigate the site.

As for the photo gallery, I it's not going to be dynamic or anything, just simply html/CSS. The chap will definitely not have enough skill to upload stuff by FTP (Ft whatnow?), and as it's only going to be 10 shots initially, it's not worth developing an amazing gallery app. Plus I can get him to pay me for updates :twisted:

Cheers for the comments all, I'll let you know when it goes live properly!
  • dojo
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Timisoara, Romania

Post 3+ Months Ago

Looks elegant. I like it :)
  • gsv2com
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Nippon

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, there's no way this was a purchased template. THE CODE WAS TOO CLEAN! Great job on the css and keepin it simple. You a fan of Eric Meyer? lol.
  • ausmeister
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • ausmeister

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeub yub, sqeaky clean!! Thank you for the compliment. The minimal code equals one fast loading site! (cept the header image of course). Of course a fan of the Meyeister, and Zeldman & Bowman. It's all about Csszengarden!
Cheers for checking the site out though!
  • sly1340
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: not available

Post 3+ Months Ago

the layout is nice and blends well, the navigation is clear and simple, good job
  • madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk
  • Loc: australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

great site! :-)

I like the stuffs in there. except for the border you have in there. its not aligned to the header border
  • barry
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

hi there
im barry
from dundee
i like your site
what i like is mainly its scottish (obviously)
but that its clean as a whistle
i would like to see more pictures of stuff though
like city centres
and highland views
the americans love that kinda stuff and if i was to be making a site to
show the rest of the owrld what our country is about then tats the best way .
by the way i dont own a kilt and never have adorned one . not because im not a true scot but because i just havent ever felt the need to show off my nuts at a party
or
wedding
any way i like how you chagne text sizes with that button

thats cool

thanks any ways
barry mitchell from DUndee
  • ausmeister
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • ausmeister

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank you both for your comments!
I'm now working on the gallery side of it, & when I get the final scans of this guys photos I'll post an update on this thread. Cheers for checking the site out y'all...
  • ausmeister
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • ausmeister

Post 3+ Months Ago

Right!! hello once more, the site is 99% complete!! Big thanks to everyone who checked it out, and reviewed if for me, your feedback has been invaluable! Anyway, feel free to go to the completed version, C & C still more than welcome!

http://www.highlandpaintings.co.uk
  • darkermoon
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Riverdale, MD

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks for submitting the site, I would have posted the comments I was thinking but they already have been. Anyways, very nice site, looks great.
  • daremedy
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • daremedy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Love the new sig darkermoon! LMAO!
  • darkermoon
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Riverdale, MD

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks, lol. I put it together [in a few minutes] and had to get it under 8KB since I'm a jerk about that so, instead of making it look crappy and realistic I made it look like somewhat of a bad sketch even I could have possibly drawn.

//EDIT: if you want to find the inspiration for this greatness, it's here

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 26 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers