SITE REVIEW: Nimrod Design

• alex89
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Western Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

You know the drill: http://nimrod.com.au/

One issue I already know about - the portfolio page is quite CPU heavy. It's got 3 flash picture viewers (custom templated Picasa v3). Any ideas why? (I also know I'm missing web design & desktop apps galleries, still finishing them)

Cheers!
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Belgrade, Serbia

Post 3+ Months Ago

I love the gallery on the portfolio page, real smooth. any way you could make it loop around, though? I mean continue with the first picture again once I get to the last.... that might be a tiny improvement.

It also loaded quite quickly for me - the portfolio page, I mean.

I'm not sure whether your current banner image is the one you plan to go with, or just a placeholder - if it is the ONE, I'd recommend you change it. It looks a little too.... bacterial - to me.

Otherwise it's a neat, clean-looking site - good job!!!
  • zaiah
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • zaiah

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi. I haven't done a review in months...but I thought I'd tell you that the site is very "tidy" and very "safe". Which is not a bad thing. Only issue I had was there is not enough contrast between your bg and your typography. I would go a little darker with the main text. Not black but just a tad darker. And all the text beneath your headers seem to wash out. If you can't make some of them darker, maybe go a little larger in size and spread the text out. As for the banner, maybe make it relavent to your business and possibly change it from page to page. I'm not the biggest fan of templates, but they are neccessary. And in my opinion you've done a pretty good job with this one. You choose one that was modern but not over the top. Good luck!
  • alex89
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

celandine wrote:
I'm not sure whether your current banner image is the one you plan to go with, or just a placeholder - if it is the ONE, I'd recommend you change it. It looks a little too.... bacterial - to me.

Haha yes, that was just a placeholder, a previous design I liked the look of. I'm going to work on something with smoother lines, maybe a blue colourscheme.

celandine wrote:
Otherwise it's a neat, clean-looking site - good job!!!

Excellent, that was what I was going for :) Thanks!

zaiah wrote:
And all the text beneath your headers seem to wash out.

Yeah, I noticed this too. I wasn't really sure what to put for these, the headers don't seem to add much to the site. I might make them a darker grey, but not tonight.

zaiah wrote:
As for the banner, maybe make it relavent to your business and possibly change it from page to page.

Yeah, maybe a different shade/fractal/design for each page - or random?

zaiah wrote:
...but I thought I'd tell you that the site is very "tidy" and very "safe". Which is not a bad thing.

My aim was a simple 4 page site (intro/what I do/examples/contact), with information clearly displayed - very quick and easy to read. Thanks for the comments, I hope you help out others with their sites too!
  • alex89
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

One problem I'm a little stuck with, I can't figure out an easy way on short pages (heightwise) to have a black background under the copyright. Any ideas?
  • ayelletkod
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • ayelletkod

Post 3+ Months Ago

The portfolio Gallery is great - the idea and the performance.
also... everything else.

images look like under-the-sea things are too conceptual and artistic - but thats a style and a say.

really nice.
  • motionmountain
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • motionmountain

Post 3+ Months Ago

alex89 wrote:

One issue I already know about - the portfolio page is quite CPU heavy. It's got 3 flash picture viewers (custom templated Picasa v3). Any ideas why? (I also know I'm missing web design & desktop apps galleries, still finishing them)

Cheers!

The Black on top and bottom is VERY black. You are not a morgue... (Same comment to OZZU itself, by the way.)

Can you find a colour that is more inviting?

MM
  • alex89
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

motionmountain wrote:
The Black on top and bottom is VERY black. You are not a morgue... (Same comment to OZZU itself, by the way.)

Or am I...?

I think it's a matter of personal opinion. I think you're the only one who hasn't liked the black out of around 20 people I've shown it to. What about a grey gradient? Bright pink?
  • thegotoguy
  • Born
  • Born
  • thegotoguy
  • Loc: Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

Post 3+ Months Ago

alex89 wrote:

Cheers!

Looks good to me. I would wonder if the cpu drag is an issue with the browser? Maybe. Not sure! Or it may be a setting on your server.
  • alex89
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

It doesn't seem to be such a problem on IE6, but FF3 has issues. My CPU (E6850 @ 3.0GHz) heats up around 20 degrees C. Hopefully people won't look at my portfolio for extended periods of time, or I might be responsible for global warming.
  • alex89
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

ayelletkod wrote:
The portfolio Gallery is great - the idea and the performance.
also... everything else.

images look like under-the-sea things are too conceptual and artistic - but thats a style and a say.

really nice.

Whoops I missed your post before.

Thanks for the praise! I expected to get pulled apart for some CSS errors or similar, but you guys have been really generous :)

The fractals are something I enjoy quite alot. They look excellent printed out at high res on A1 & framed on my wall. I was hoping the website would reflect the artistic side of technical drawings, that they're graphically design influenced too.
  • brentjlaf
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

to be honest it looks like a template with your content in it.
  • alex89
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

brentjlaf wrote:
to be honest it looks like a template with your content in it.

Oh no! Someone found me out!
  • tautvys92
  • tautvys92

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like your gallery , but "safety"...
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Alright... I'm not going to ignore this site :D

+] I like the fact that it is XHTML document as I always am.
-] I dislike the fact that the footer is huge yet has only one small line of text in it.
=] I suggest you add an internal email form for contacts.

+] The name is simple, small and the logo is simple and site-descriptive
-] Parts of text are hard to read (Those that are light grey)
=] Maybe add some roll-over effect for the menu?

+] The design is clean and simple... because of that, it looks professional and trustworthy.
-] The footer text is kind of hard to read.

Also, another suggestion about your portfolio page taking up a lot of space... You can break those things to three pages and have links to them... either through links-to-pages, or tabs. I think you understand what I mean.

Otherwise, I think that the site is good. If I was to rate it from 1(Bad)/10(Great) I'm going to give it a 9.
  • locust
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Austin, TX

Post 3+ Months Ago

You're site is good and adequate for getting clients. However, if it were me, I would have an 'About Us' page and a 'Testimonials' page.

I agree with what most others have said about you're site.
  • netrider7880
  • Student
  • Student
  • netrider7880

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was impressed by the portfolio gallery and the whole design looks good to me.
  • netrider7880
  • Student
  • Student
  • netrider7880

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think that portfolio gallery page is awesoeme.
  • newage123
  • newage123

Post 3+ Months Ago

very nice your gallery, good work
  • magstudios
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • magstudios

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi this is MAG Studios i am so much Impressed by your Image Gallery it's very smooth and cool by the i also provide that type of service in Website design and Development too.
  • anujbux
  • anujbux

Post 3+ Months Ago

i dont like your gallery. its just about average. and i would say that gallery is not good enough for your rates. as far rates in India.
  • anujbux
  • anujbux

Post 3+ Months Ago

in my eyes your site looks like a blogger templet

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 22 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers