SITE REVIEW: Nintendo-Friends

• drewtown
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • drewtown

Post 3+ Months Ago

Please read the last post.

Hello I have created a social networking/friend code sharing site on a script that I have built. It is based around community and building new friendships.

I would like your opinion on the overall look and feel of the website. Also usability (if you are interested) is a concern of mine. I know the forums are kind of weak right now, but I am still looking to build up a few active members and moderators to start up the forums.

Thanks
drewtown[/b]

http://www.nintendo-friends.com
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Belk Media Group
  • Graphic Monk
  • Professor
  • Loc: In the heart of California, Fresno.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Job very well done. Very user friendly and easy to read. Good choice of colors too.:)
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

One thing I noticed is that the top welcome bar and the one beneath it doesn't seem to display properly in my browser, I've got IE7 ... Won't you please also add rollovers to the links, because in that "latest nintendo news" column on the right, i'm not sure if the text is one or two lines ... It just looks confusing.

the w3c validator found 7 errors in your markup ... http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http% ... nds.com%2F ... But yeah I love the site's idea never seen something like it, I guess maybe because I don't own a nintendo and never have.

I really like your colour schem though, that's real awesome!
  • drewtown
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • drewtown

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank you for your responses.

I work in FF so I don't always catch those IE display bugs the quickest :-/. Thanks for pointing it out though. Also I will change the rollover color on all of my links because for some reason I have the rollover set to the same color as the background and never really noticed.

I know I have a couple of validation errors but I'm afraid it will never be perfect because Google's News feed code wont validate. But that is no excuse for not working on my code.

Hopefully I'll get to these errors today or tomorrow.

Thanks
Drew
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: In the Great White North

Post 3+ Months Ago

so I start at the top and the header is very nice and web 2.0ish. Clean colors nice spacing, etc, etc. Then my eye moves down the page and I feel like you got lazy. You started doing images with white backgrounds, no rounded edges, etc. Anyway you get the point.

I would clean up those images in the right column so they don't look like an after thought, add some line spacing between the links so they're more legible or even make them bars that go across the orange box. I might consider moving the "menu" to the top block and moving "register" below that. I might also call it menu or even leave off the title instead of calling them important links.

Great start just remember that design is in all the tiny little details
  • brentjlaf
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

i like it...... BUT I've seen this as a template somewhere, and I've seen this template used in a few places.

so if you don't care that your site looks 90% the same as several out there no problem.
  • hpatel624
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • hpatel624

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like the idea of the website
  • Rapt0r
  • Student
  • Student
  • Rapt0r

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey that is a nice website there. It is very visually appealing to me. The only thing I noticed was that the "search users by email" bar is slightly off from the rest of the bar up top (but that's just a slight thing, no biggy).

The interface is very easy to use, and I like that. The only thing I'm confused about it what exactly does this site do, or what is it for? Is it just for making friends online to play say mario kart over the internet......or on N64 or something? That is the only thing I"m wondering.

Overall it's a very good website and easy to use. Nice job.
  • twodays
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • twodays

Post 3+ Months Ago

Very nice!

Only complaint is that I think it should be fluid.
  • drewtown
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • drewtown

Post 3+ Months Ago

To address a few of the complaints/problems

Fixed: The top bars on IE were off and now they have been fixed. I had to implement an IE specific css because it was having issues.

What the site is about: It is a friend code sharing site for the Nintendo DS. You can enter your friend codes into the script and we will store them for you. When you make friends you can view their friend codes for all of the games they have entered them for.

The right side images: What would you suggest instead of having the white background on the images? I thought that they looked pretty good. For the links, I will probably rename that section Menu or quick menu and then have a CSS based navigation menu there instead of just plain links to give it a more sexy appeal.

As for it looking like other sites/being a template: I am in no way a professional designer or programmer, I am a hobbyist and I don't have the skill or the time to build a design for the ground up. Basically I will mold this into what I want it to be. It doesn't bother me that it may look similar to some other websites.
  • Musical frog
  • Musical frog

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like it, good color scheme, very navigatable. Great site. :-D
  • drewtown
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • drewtown

Post 3+ Months Ago

Last Bump for my topic.

Any last comments?
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just check, you have a broken link somewhere in your site ... http://validator.w3.org/checklink?uri=h ... heck=Check

That's about it from my side, I like it a lot ... Job well done!
  • desertroots
  • desertroots
  • Loc: Arizona

Post 3+ Months Ago

I really like the look and idea of the site, but I did notice some grammatical and spelling errors in the Featured Game and About This Site blurbs. You might want to double check those just to make sure your site looks polished and well put together. As I said, though, the look and concept are great!
  • nightvision
  • nightvision

Post 3+ Months Ago

The site is very neat. All the contents and links are visible. I also like the way the whole site goes dark when you click on a link. Good job

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 15 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers